R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Outer Ball Joint and CV boot HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 10:38 AM
KennyG
|
Neutral
Outer Ball Joint and CV boot HELP

I drive a 2005 R50 with a CVT transmission. I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

I'm fairly new to working on cars, but thanks to this website and my Bentley manual I've done a fair amount in the last few years. My most recent project is removing my front subframe to replace my control arm bushings, my sway bar bushings, and my tie rod ends. The subframe is out now, but I've hit a couple of problems. First, the passenger side outer ball joint was messed up in the process of removing the control arm, and it needs to be replaced. Like many others, I have not been able to get the ball joint off the steering knuckle. I've tried all sorts of things, but with my limited tools (no air compressor) I'm not able to get it to budge.

It also looks like I might need replace the inner CV boot as well. I don't see any big tears in it, but it does look like grease is coming out so I expect that means I'll have to replace it.

The only thing I can think of to do is to removing the steering knuckle from the axle (since I think I will have to remove my axle to install the boot) and take the steering knuckle to someone (I don't know who, I guess a shop) to see if they can remove the ball joint with better tools than I have. I'm a little scared to mess with the axle because I have a CVT and am terrified to touch it.

I have a few questions. Is there anything I am missing or approaching incorrectly? Should I be worried about the transmission at all if I messing with the axle? Does the picture of the boot indicate that I'm probably right in thinking the boot needs to be replaced (if not the whole joint)?

I feel like I am in over my head and hemorrhaging money on tools and parts.

Attached Thumbnails Outer Ball Joint and CV boot HELP-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013 | 04:17 AM
mrbean
5th Gear
It looks like the CV boot needs to be replaced. You shouldn't worry too much about screwing up the transmission. Just remember to be very careful not to damage the axle seal when reinstalling it and be sure to top off the fluid as much of it comes out when the axle is removed. (tip, drain the fluid first to avoid a mess). You might as well replace the outer boot too because you have to take it off to replace the inner one.

If you remove the steering knuckle completely from the car, it makes removing the ball joint much easier. You should be able to pry it loose with a flat headed screw driver and a hammer.

Old 06-14-2013 | 08:45 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Can't you use a pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the knuckle? Not on a mini but gives you an idea

You could also might be able to use a 2-jaw puller