R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tune up & Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up & Maintenance

I am about to do a tune up on my 05S its about to turn 100k miles and I drive about 100 miles a day. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on things to replace. I know the basic stuff oil, spark plugs, clean out your airfilter. Should I replace my plug wires and all that. And should I check out my fuel filter at all. And where should I lube at, I am getting a clunking sound in my right front wheel well when I hit a bump im guessing just needs lubed up. I am not to worried about cost here I am willing to spend the money to keep ole girl running.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Tune up?!
Kinda of a dated term....but I guess most folks get your meaning...
Chassis does not need lube (unless you have an aftermarket rear sway bar with a zerk fitting)....
If you have a clunk.... Something is loose, worn or broken....
If you do the plugs....use a tq wrench...many mini's have spit out sparkplugs....wires are short...can check them with an ohm meter...or just replace...coil connections can corrode...so a dab of dielectric grease will help there....

Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Fuel filter in submerged in the tank...under the rear seat...doable...but if you don't seem to have any high end pulling issues...IMO it can wait....
Might be worth changing the manual tranny fluid.....

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Cool we're like Mini brothers! I have a 05s and I just turned 100k the other day (but bought it at 96) and I've compiled two lists so far. One is a front end service and the other is an engine/cooling system service list for myself. First is the front end service. Control arm bushings are really common to be worn at this mileage, could be the clunk you're hearing. Jack your car up on the right side and grab the wheel at 9 oclock and 3 oclock and push/pull to see if theres any noise or movement, then again at 12 and 6. Theres a really good chance you'll hear a clunk at the back of the control arm if the bushings are shot. Consider replacing them with polyurethane ones even if only for the longer life. If you still don't hear a clunk, lower car a bit, crack the lugs, jack it back up, take the wheel off and start yanking stuff to try and reproduce the noise. Deal with the suspension issues before you worry about fuel filters; these are far more important. On top of that, I'm putting in new struts and shocks (actually going with coilovers) as mine are original and are undoubtedly worn and I'll be pounding my strut towers back in shape (check yours for mushrooming, almost all of them have issues with it). I also know my strut mounts are wrecked too so check for that as well. The coilovers I'm going with will fix that. If I wasn't going with the coilovers, I'd be doing struts and shocks (probably koni yellows if not stock), upper front strut mounts, some sort of strut tower protection and probably springs as well but that'd be last. My final to do list looks something like this:

Front End Service:
wheels/tires (DONE)
control arm bushings
coilovers
alignment

My current engine/cooling service looks like this:

replace oil pan gasket (oil leak)
oil change (i'll wait until i need it to do all this as the pan will be coming off anyways)
replace crankshaft position sensor (oil leak/ill be here anyways)
change supercharger oil
upgrade sc pulley (best bang for your buck additional horsepower/i'll be there anyways)
new belt (to fit the smaller pulley/i'll be here anyways/time for a new one)
coolant flush (i'll be here anyways/time for it)
coolant hoses (still needs to be inspected but mini recommended it last time it was there and said they were cracked and brittle... we'll see)
thermostat & its housing/gasket? (these are prone to warping as i've read, and i'll be there anyways i think)

In the least from the above list, you should consider doing a coolant flush and a new belt.

Additional things I plan on doing in roughly this order:
sea foam (asap)
spark plugs (cooler rated ones to go w/ the supercharger pulley; asap)
brake fluid flush
transmission fluid change
power steering fluid drain/fill
fuel filter
spark plug wires

There really shouldn't be much more than that. I'd say consider the plug wires, or in the least, check your ignition coil terminals for rust (#3 is a common one).

Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
That's a pretty good list to start with.

While you're in there doing all of that also take a look for the green fan resistor to see what condition it is in and prepare to deal with it.

You can also consider disassembling and cleaning the power steering pump (mine was quite full of dust from the brushes - but the brushes still had lots of life). Be aware that the documentation didn't describe that it was possible to destroy the PSP's gasket (like I did) just by taking it apart (it stretched). It is not a replaceable part. I had to source a similar one then cut and RTV it together. It's still holding up 7K/1 year later.

If you haven't yet; inspect your coolant reservoir. I replaced mine (and the PSP reservoir) with chrome ones.

Regarding the Super Charger, you could look into the Super Charger Recharger. I installed one and it works fine, but ended up removing it when I did a new engine install and new SC. I still have it with my original SC.

All of the documentation is on NAM.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 PM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Did you figure out what the clunking was? My car has something like this and it was so loud today I got really concerned and almost called for a tow. Also coming from right front. Feels like a bum motor mount but I don't know what to look for.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
mhopper49
2nd Gear
No I have never figured it out. I kust installed adjustable camber plates and had my entire suspension ripped apart and did not find anything wrong. The noise did get better after I reinstalled everything. I'm thinking it may be a wheel bearing.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I noticed this morning that the sound happens less often and is not as loud once the car gets warmed up. Maybe 5 minutes.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the clunking I would check three things first.
- Top Strut Mount. It is a rubber mount that wears out and tears/rips apart. You can see it from the engine compartment where the strut rod comes up into the tower.
- Lower Control Arm bushing. Would replace ball joint along with the bushing.
- Top Engine Mount (passenger side). Since your car is an 04 it does not have the leak prone newer mounts so it might be OK. See how much you can rock the engine around.