R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Thump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:08 AM
merbel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd thing. Sometimes when I first start the car and pull off I hear a sort of bump or thump-seems to be inthe back. At first I thought something in the back was rolling over but it is not. Anyone else experience this?

Old 05-05-2004, 08:14 AM
lotsie
Banned
Nope

Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 AM
JackT.
1st Gear
We've noticed a sound like a knock or creak in the back. Seems to happen when the body flexes when turning on an uneven surface. Hasn't happened with enough predictability to track it yet but I would first suspect it's coming from the hatch moving relative to the body.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:53 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
It does occasionally happen to me too when I pull out of my driveway and turn right onto another street. It also occured in my other car too. So I never really thought too much about it.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I experience the same thing when first starting out as well, but only once in a while. It almost sounds like I've got something sliding around in the boot. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
donut
2nd Gear
Could it be your amp coming on?

Old 05-05-2004, 10:07 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
same thing here. sounds like a misfire and is pretty loud. sounds like extreme bass in the back, which come to think of it could be the amp turning on.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 AM
keddell
2nd Gear
I've experienced this as well. My sense is that it's something like the boot hatch seating itself, as if I latched it off-center or something or it didn't completely seat. I've never experienced this in another car. It seems to be an infrequent thing though and sounds pretty benign so I don't worry about it too much.

JK

Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
Can't be the amp... I didn't have one in my old car.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
I have it also. It just happened on my way out for lunch. I have nothing loose in the car to make the sound. Happened on a flat parking. HK amp maybe? It also only happens one time, then maybe a few days go by, and it happens again.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM
lotsie
Banned
It's not your locks cycling is it

Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 AM
minitothemax
4th Gear
I also hear the thump when I pull or back out of my driveway onto the street. It happens just about every time no matter how fast or slow I go. It is the only time this seems to happen.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:18 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
I have it too. :smile: Also had it in the beetle. :smile: :smile:

Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
1st Gear
I'm pretty sure that what you are hearing is your automatic door locks that engage at 10 or 15 mph. I also heared this in my car and then noticed it was the locks. Do you only notice it when you first take off or at at different times during your driving?

Old 05-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
I had a similar thump and thought at first it was a loose shock or suspension part and after two visits to the dealer, they first adjusted the catch on the boot, then replaced the catch with a longer one, problem solved :smile:

Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
It'sMike
1st Gear
Definitely not the door locks. I get the thump maybe every other morning when turning from my street to another street which meets it at a downhill angle. It sounds higher up than the boot latch - I thought it might be the roof structure flexing. (Does it happen in non-sunroof cars?). Only seems to happen first thing in the morning and never any other time.

MikeD, '04 MCS

Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 PM
MOJO
Neutral
Yes, I have this thump thing also. It is not the auto door lock, that is more mechanical, and a uniform sound. I geuss it could be the HK bass. . .never considered that. It sounds, and is forcefull enough that I can almost feel it in the seat. It is usually, not all the time, a deep thump just like a 10 /15 lb wt rolling back and "thud" against something. It only happens once, and is not reproducible with bumps or turns after the initial take off. I have tryed leaving the seats down, looking for something to move as I take off. I've rooted around in the battery box, and I've rodgered around underneath. . .I can't find it. I just turn the stereo up really loud on take off. . .problem gone!!!! Kinda happy others have it though.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Odd thing. Sometimes when I first start the car and pull off I hear a sort of bump or thump-seems to be inthe back. At first I thought something in the back was rolling over but it is not. Anyone else experience this?

I agree with door locks idea. I have a thunk or thump from time to time in addition to the locks. It was driving me up the wall. Then I realized that it was from the ***** on the boot lid swinging free and hitting the side panels. I tested the idea while parked (just let swing and fall against the panel next to where it hangs) and sure enough the sound was the same.

John

Old 05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
MOJO
Neutral
DaC I think you have it!!!! I took the back panel off a while ago, and have left it off (sounds better) and come to think of it I haven't heard the thump . . .kinda changes my thoughts on a "10lb wt rolling back idea" closer to 2 oz wt.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:36 PM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
It's not the auto door locks because I don't have that programmed on my MINI. Another thing to add... It only happens first thing in the morning if I am turning from my driveway onto a street in second gear. If I am still in first, no sound.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:43 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Then I realized that it was from the ***** on the boot lid swinging free and hitting the side panels. I tested the idea while parked (just let swing and fall against the panel next to where it hangs) and sure enough the sound was the same.
You boot has *****? I don't follow this.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not the "boot *****". My car does it too and it sounds like a object of much greater mass. The characterization of a 10-15 lb weight hitting the inside of the boot is exactly what mine sounds like.

There is a FAQ about this at MINI2. It reads:

What's that 'clunk' noise my car makes at about 12mph?

Don't panic!

The clunk, or knock you hear when you first reach 12mph after starting the car is nothing to be concerned about. All MINI's perform an ABS self test when pulling away, that is what you are hearing.

Also, if you have the central locking set to lock automatically when you drive away (now standard in most countries), this activates at about the same speed, making a louder 'combined clunk'.
The link can be followed HERE

However, like others who have this sound, is does not happen every time I "pull away". Maybe once every 5 or 6 times, perhaps.

FWIW,

Theo

Old 05-05-2004, 02:11 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
>>We've noticed a sound like a knock or creak in the back. Seems to happen when the body flexes when turning on an uneven surface. Hasn't happened with enough predictability to track it yet but I would first suspect it's coming from the hatch moving relative to the body.

I think if you hear it while turning on uneven surfaces it may be roof flex you are hearing. It seems I read somewhere that the Mini's with the sunroof tends to pop while turning into uneven driveways etc.... Now if your Mini does not have the sun roof, well then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:21 PM
lotsie
Banned
>>It's not the "boot *****". My car does it too and it sounds like a object of much greater mass. The characterization of a 10-15 lb weight hitting the inside of the boot is exactly what mine sounds like.
>>
>>There is a FAQ about this at MINI2. It reads:
>>
>>
What's that 'clunk' noise my car makes at about 12mph?
>>
>>Don't panic!
>>
>>The clunk, or knock you hear when you first reach 12mph after starting the car is nothing to be concerned about. All MINI's perform an ABS self test when pulling away, that is what you are hearing.
>>
>>Also, if you have the central locking set to lock automatically when you drive away (now standard in most countries), this activates at about the same speed, making a louder 'combined clunk'.
>>
>>The link can be followed HERE
>>
>>However, like others who have this sound, is does not happen every time I "pull away". Maybe once every 5 or 6 times, perhaps.
>>
>>FWIW,
>>
>>Theo
>>
>> What would ABS do, to make a noise, if the brakes are not applied :smile:

Old 05-05-2004, 02:42 PM
discodan
5th Gear
have it too, since new. can't figure it out just gave up since it doesn't happen all the time, just when i pull out of the driveway.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Thump?