R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Blue painters tape completely peeled off my clearcoat. Very upset

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by GLHX
Can't spray clear over dry base coat, must respray and blend red.

Clear only sticks to wet basecoat......and sanded clear coat.

His clear is gone. He has to rebase it. Plus the bubble....we have no idea why it's there
For a temp fix that would probably last several years.....he can clean the exposed base with wax & grease remover and then scuff it with a white 3M scotchbrite pad. The clear will stick to that...I've done it a few times. Will it have the same kind of adhesion as if the clear was sprayed on a fresh base coat? No......but it will stick pretty darn good. As long as its clean and scuffed up, it will stick.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 AM
GLHX
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. It also makes me wonder.......what would adhesion promoter do to make it stick.

I know how to do this work and could repair it correctly and I still wouldn't at that point.....at the point he is at. I would do what we just said on my own car.

Here's why.
Car is meant be driven and enjoyed. They get beat up anyway and it's not a show car. My paint on my bmw shown above was so bad that I saw multiple places where it chipped, bubbled, and had non dried primer with paint literally sitting on top of the primer and not stuck to it.

I decided to strip it down and with my time I've not driven the car in months. You need a lot of free time to paint one. I should have patched and driven

Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM
DailyDrivenMini
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I restored a salvaged Mini and painted it myself. I have thread on it.

If base or clear is bubbling, no paint over that will fix the problem.

I tend to agree with GLHX. Instead of listening to us talking about this let's be realistic, none of these talks will fix your paint. If you are NOT going to paint it yourself, if you want this fixed, you will probably be going to a body shop to get it fixed. Go talk to the body shop. Whatever we have told you the particular body shop you went to may not agree with and offer alternatives.

Stop wastin your time and go talk to people who will be doing the work.

IF You want to learn how to paint, it is not that difficult but it does take some finesse there are many videos online that shows how to paint. If you don't have air compressor and other equipments, paints.., it will probably be cheaper to get it done by someone unless YOU want to learn.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd hate to revive an old thread .. but something similar just happened to me as well ..

That big ugly brown spot in the top right corner? Yeah .. that happened just now while I was wrapping the chrome trim in gloss black. While cutting and removing the excess vinyl, the clear coat, paint .. it all just come right off in that one spot.

This to me, seems like a very poor factory paint job. This was using a 3M gloss black vinyl, which in no way should do this to a car. However, because this is partially my fault for using the vinyl wrap, I don't know what to do, or if anything can even be done.

Worse is that I was planning on wrapping the entire car a matte metallic dark grey. Now poses the question, if I do wrap it, what will happen if it ever needs to be removed?

Any idea what could have happened that the paint, clearcoat, everything, just came right up? Literally happened in just this one spot, nowhere else along the trim. As for the rest of the body? That is unknown.