R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Expert advice needed on wheel choice!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expert advice needed on wheel choice!!

Front:
17" x 8.5J et20 (205/45/17)

Rear:
17" x 10J et15 (225/45/17)

Ive been doing my head in recently searching the net and looking up information on offsets, scrub radius etc trying to work out if i can fit these wheels without sacrificing safety and handling to avoid me having to ask a noobie question like this on a mini forum...
Alas, here i am and really need some professional assistance with this!

Anywayz, the car is a '05 Cooper S and im willing to do a certain amount of camber, cut back some of the body work and modify the wheel arches to fit. But obviously i would like to know if im being realistic with things.
I wouldnt have any issues with clearing the brakes as im going with R56 factory calipers.

Would fully appreciate any advice on this issue. Cheers!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM
jnathan68
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by llzeRoll
Front:
17" x 8.5J et20 (205/45/17)

Rear:
17" x 10J et15 (225/45/17)

Ive been doing my head in recently searching the net and looking up information on offsets, scrub radius etc trying to work out if i can fit these wheels without sacrificing safety and handling to avoid me having to ask a noobie question like this on a mini forum...
Alas, here i am and really need some professional assistance with this!

Anywayz, the car is a '05 Cooper S and im willing to do a certain amount of camber, cut back some of the body work and modify the wheel arches to fit. But obviously i would like to know if im being realistic with things.
I wouldnt have any issues with clearing the brakes as im going with R56 factory calipers.

Would fully appreciate any advice on this issue. Cheers!
I am assuming you are going for the super stretch look. Either way, at the point you are stretching a 205 onto an 8.5" rim and 225 tire onto a 10" rim, safety is already a bit sacrificed and I wouldn't be doing any canyon carving. Having said that, in daily driving, I would expect the car to steer and drive reasonably properly taking into consideration the stretch.

Can't really say much about inside fit and that you will definitely need some wide flare fenders to accommodate that much wheel. Also, will depend on how low you are.

Probably a few who have tried stretch so hopefully someone can weigh in on exact fit.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jnathan68
I am assuming you are going for the super stretch look. Either way, at the point you are stretching a 205 onto an 8.5" rim and 225 tire onto a 10" rim, safety is already a bit sacrificed and I wouldn't be doing any canyon carving. Having said that, in daily driving, I would expect the car to steer and drive reasonably properly taking into consideration the stretch.

Can't really say much about inside fit and that you will definitely need some wide flare fenders to accommodate that much wheel. Also, will depend on how low you are.

Probably a few who have tried stretch so hopefully someone can weigh in on exact fit.
My original plan was to do the old skool BBS RS look on air shocks and wasnt too fussed on performance until i found out how much fun a mini is in the bends and on the track.

Hoping to strike a healthyish balance i was hoping i would get lucky with the numbers on this set up. But, ive been reading some scary things on messing with et and wheel width. I have no idea how to do these calculations and the information ive been reading says if in doubt stay close to the factory specs which im obviously going way outside.

im slowly coming to terms with the fact i may not be able to have the best of both worlds.

however, it must be possible with most professional track cars going with body with wider wheels? any engineers or number crunchers out there??

Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
jnathan68
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by llzeRoll
My original plan was to do the old skool BBS RS look on air shocks and wasnt too fussed on performance until i found out how much fun a mini is in the bends and on the track.

Hoping to strike a healthyish balance i was hoping i would get lucky with the numbers on this set up. But, ive been reading some scary things on messing with et and wheel width. I have no idea how to do these calculations and the information ive been reading says if in doubt stay close to the factory specs which im obviously going way outside.

im slowly coming to terms with the fact i may not be able to have the best of both worlds.

however, it must be possible with most professional track cars going with body with wider wheels? any engineers or number crunchers out there??
Just going to say, a healthy balance is not a 225 tire on a 10" rim. A 10" rim is meant for a 265 to 285 tire. Not sure what numbers you need crunched. Many sites have diagrams and examples of necessary measurements you need to take to determine fitment. Also, I am sure you can search on this forum and find some super wide setups.

Figure a 17x8 or 17x8.5 wheel is going to be pretty wide on the mini (both front and rear)

Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jnathan68
Just going to say, a healthy balance is not a 225 tire on a 10" rim. A 10" rim is meant for a 265 to 285 tire. Not sure what numbers you need crunched. Many sites have diagrams and examples of necessary measurements you need to take to determine fitment. Also, I am sure you can search on this forum and find some super wide setups.

Figure a 17x8 or 17x8.5 wheel is going to be pretty wide on the mini (both front and rear)
yea, i spent about 2 hours last night going through previous posts to try n find some relavant info and make sure i wasnt asking a reoccuring question but no luck as of yet.

im sure i can fit the wheels on and come to a resonable sacrifice as far as tire widths go but what i am more concerned with is how messing with the et balence and wheel width is going to ultimately affect the handling on the mini.