R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Service Engine Light after driving with handbrake on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Light after driving with handbrake on?

Hi, I just got a 2003 S with about 85000 miles on it. It's in pretty good shape, some repainting due to a sideswipe I understand. I'm very happy with it.

But, the other day I backed out of my parking spot at my apartment with the handbrake on and drove probably 200' until I realized it. The next time I looked down at the tach (which was about 3 minutes later) I noticed the Service Engine Light had come on.

This happened the day after a fuel stop incidentally. I'm of the opinion that the light came on because of the brake. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It would make sense to me, it would monitor speed and revs and those would have been off vs. what is expected. It's not doing anything else weird, drives fine, shifts fine.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
gas cap?

Speed & revs won't have been off due to a dragging brake unless your clutch was slipping, which is doubtful - so I don't think the brake is an issue. Your hint about getting fuel makes me wonder if the gas cap is loose, which can lead to a check engine light illuminating. Check the cap, and maybe get someone to read the code number so you know what triggered it.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffM
Speed & revs won't have been off due to a dragging brake unless your clutch was slipping, which is doubtful - so I don't think the brake is an issue. Your hint about getting fuel makes me wonder if the gas cap is loose, which can lead to a check engine light illuminating. Check the cap, and maybe get someone to read the code number so you know what triggered it.
I vote for this!

Knowing the code would be helpful, but if you've filled the tank yesterday, the evap system might have detected the leak just today.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Ok, thanks!

I filled the tank late at night and I can't be sure I got the cap right. I'm pretty careful, especially with a new car, but I did this on my old 318ti at least 3 times so I have made the mistake in the past. I'll take the cap off before I head home tonight and make sure it's on good and tight.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's pretty easy to get the rubber cord that holds the gas cap to get stuck under the lip when it screws on... If that makes sense.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:00 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Well, the light is still on. I have some difficulty getting the cap off. I flipped the cap 180 degrees and put it back on, I clicked it a couple times. The car has been shut off and restarted 4x now. I may take it to a Midas near my house after work, see if they can at least read the code.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffM
Yes, I had this happen to me! Really lame and terrifying at first, but then you learn its the gas cap. I periodically check the cap and even clean the rim on the tubing to make sure it is junk free.

Did you clean the tubing that the cap attaches to as well?

The gas cap issue typically pushes the MINI into "limp mode" as well until you remove the cap, clean, and then re-attach the cap.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Yes, I had this happen to me! Really lame and terrifying at first, but then you learn its the gas cap. I periodically check the cap and even clean the rim on the tubing to make sure it is junk free.

Did you clean the tubing that the cap attaches to as well?

The gas cap issue typically pushes the MINI into "limp mode" as well until you remove the cap, clean, and then re-attach the cap.
Took it to a place I like here, they cleared the code and took off the cap. The rubber seal was all cracked and rotten. I ordered a new one that arrives tomorrow. I'll be sure to check that hose when I put the new cap on.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by James Tebary
Took it to a place I like here, they cleared the code and took off the cap. The rubber seal was all cracked and rotten. I ordered a new one that arrives tomorrow. I'll be sure to check that hose when I put the new cap on.

Oh good. So there is a real possibility that this could be nothing then. Which is ideal. But it looks like you have some evidence that it might be the gas cap.

Eager to see how this turns out...

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Oh good. So there is a real possibility that this could be nothing then. Which is ideal. But it looks like you have some evidence that it might be the gas cap.

Eager to see how this turns out...
Good news! I'm usually bad about following up on this stuff... but I got a cap from Amazon, for like $27. I installed it about 5 days ago, and after several times starting the car the light finally went off today after a trip to Burger King.

I wanted to add/ask that there doesn't appear to be a place to attach the cap cable anywhere that I can see, and the old cap doesn't have one. I'd like to just cut it off to be honest, but I'd also like to be sure to put it on correctly.

Also, turned over 86000 miles finally. I cannot express how much I love this car. I have a feeling I'm going to have to get more HP's into it eventually.

Last edited by James Tebary; 10-30-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by James Tebary
Good news! I'm usually bad about following up on this stuff... but I got a cap from Amazon, for like $27. I installed it about 5 days ago, and after several times starting the car the light finally went off today after a trip to Burger King.

I wanted to add/ask that there doesn't appear to be a place to attach the cap cable anywhere that I can see, and the old cap doesn't have one. I'd like to just cut it off to be honest, but I'd also like to be sure to put it on correctly.

Also, turned over 86000 miles finally. I cannot express how much I love this car. I have a feeling I'm going to have to get more HP's into it eventually.
Excellent news! Yes, the gas cap issue is one that can be scary (unknown) and turns out to be nothing. Lame how a gas cap can cause so much havoc, but it does. I guess when you think about it, it is easy to see why (fuel system being pressurized).

But it is an issue that is only caused once! haha Now that you know about it.

Yes, you will need to work on that next... adding power to these little guys makes them more fun!