R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 brake pads and rotors recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013 | 07:16 PM
opticspen
|
1st Gear
R53 brake pads and rotors recommendation?

is Akebono pads + Zimmermans rotors a good combination, thanks

Old 11-02-2013 | 07:55 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
What are your goals?

That combo would be a good one for normal driving, very low brake dust, and longevity. If you looking for ultimate performance, you'd probably need something else.

I have some Akebono pads on my other car and I can't believe how little dust they produce. I wish I had used them for my MINI's brake job 3 years ago...

I am using the zimmerman rotors on the MINI though, and they seem to be very good quality - no real rusting of the center part like cheap rotors do.

Old 11-02-2013 | 08:34 PM
opticspen
|
1st Gear
yes, my goal is normal driving, no track pupose.

Old 11-02-2013 | 09:41 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Great choices then - go for it!

Old 11-02-2013 | 10:40 PM
opticspen
|
1st Gear
thanks, I choose the zimmerman rotors, however, I switched to Jurid pads (OEM one) in last minutes since I see a lot of feedback say akebono will have very little initial bite.

and consider the soft OEM pads will probably be nicer for the rotors.
not sure if ceramic pads will be too harsh for rotors

Old 11-03-2013 | 04:22 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I don't notice any initial bite issue with those pads on my other car, but sounds reasonable. Can't go wrong with stock. You will get more dust though.

In terms of harshness for rotors, if you believe Akebono's marketing materials, they're about the easiest on rotors you'll find.

Enjoy the new brakes!

Old 11-03-2013 | 01:40 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
I'm also looking for recommendations actions here. Will need brakes soon.

Primarily street, but out here in the country, spirited driving tends to warp rotors on my other cars... The MINI seems to be holding up well though.

Currently (previous owner) installed DuraLast pads in the rear, and the pads on the front look like they are yellow on the side. They are very loud when I gently press the brake at low speeds when they are cold. They seem to have better bite when they're warm. Could they be anything other than EBC Yellow?

I think think the Zimmerman rotors might be okay. I like the ATE Premiums and the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors too, but they seem a little pricey. Really looking at StopTech rotors, probably power slots, although their plane face high carbon or cryo- tech under their Centric name also look attractive for the price. I just want a rotor that won't warp.

For pads, I thought I was landed on EBC Red Stuff. I'm assuming they'd have more initial bite when cold than what I have now (assuming they're EBC yellow stuff). I read about some delaminating and now I'm second guessing. Read about Hawk HP Plus, and they didn't sound stellar. I was looking at StopTech Street performance pads, can't seem to find many reviews from MINI Owners.

I will also add SS Lines all around, and Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening Kit.

My goals are to have the most possible initial cold bite when cold as this will primarily be a DD, but I also know that my spirited driving can get me in to a region where I begin to notice fade, and even warp rotors when I've had economy brake set ups on my other sedans. A goal is to gain a little increase in performance without going to a BBK set up -I think that's more than I need. I would love it if I could accomplish my goals for around $500, but I think $700ish will unfortunately be more realistic.

Sorry for such a long post, -just wanted to explain my goals. So many options available make this a very tough choice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:37 PM
ntn125
1st Gear
For that price range, why not upgrade to R56 MCS brakes (1st gen JCW)?
I have ran stock R53 rotors and pads, switched to TSW slotted rotors with EBC reds and Hawk HPS. Don't really like the Hawk HPS, initial bite isn't there if that matters to you. Both EBC and Hawk dust much less than stock, and not any louder than stock. I think BBKs are more suited for tracking or bling.

I'm switching to R56 MCS brakes myself.

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
The Akebono pads
http://www.waymotorworks.com/akebono-brake-pads.html
And Zimmerman rotors
http://www.waymotorworks.com/zimmerm...s-r50-r53.html
Both are quality parts, but we use and recommend the EBC red stuff pads
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...r50-53-52.html
And our WMW rotors. These are OE quality or better, without the OE price
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-bra...0-r53-r52.html

We have FREE shipping on all our WMW rotors and WMW brake kits right too
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmwredbrakepackageR53.html

Old 11-03-2013 | 04:24 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ntn125
For that price range, why not upgrade to R56 MCS brakes (1st gen JCW)?
I have ran stock R53 rotors and pads, switched to TSW slotted rotors with EBC reds and Hawk HPS. Don't really like the Hawk HPS, initial bite isn't there if that matters to you. Both EBC and Hawk dust much less than stock, and not any louder than stock. I think BBKs are more suited for tracking or bling.

I'm switching to R56 MCS brakes myself.
I thought about that. I wish the tyrolsport bushings would fit the r56 calipers. The thing that holds me back from that really is that the rotors cost more, and I bet are heavier too. I read about them being "a little" better in performance than r53 brakes. With the increased weight,.. ehhh -I lean towards thinking that putting that cash towards tires would be a more effective way of decreasing stopping distance.

It sounds like you like the EBC Reds? Do you notice them not being good when they're cold, or do they grab okay, and then just get better when warm?

Anyone ever tried StopTech street performance pads with the regular r53 calipers?

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Yes I've had great luck with the EBC Redstuff. They have good bite cold and warm.
When I used the stop tech pads they were noisey, and more dust than the EBC.

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:08 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes I've had great luck with the EBC Redstuff. They have good bite cold and warm.
When I used the stop tech pads they were noisey, and more dust than the EBC.
Thanks Way!

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:12 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
At $700 you're but a few bucks from full big brake kit options, sure its worth stopping short?

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:14 PM
ntn125
1st Gear
EBC Reds are ok. Cold is slightly better than Hawk HPS but not as much as stock. I like the initial bite myself so plan to try something different next. People has recommended Carbotech Bobcats (1521) to me but I have not tried them. Also, Jan at RMW has rotors/pads set for stock R53 brakes that you may want to check out. I was looking at them before I got R56 brakes with petty of life left.

Agreed, I would get good tires first.

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:36 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
At $700 you're but a few bucks from full big brake kit options, sure its worth stopping short?
Thankyou. I may have to shop it, and do my math again.

I was thinking EBC Redstuff and Zimmerman is $430, 4 SS lines is ~$100, Caliper Stiffening Kit is ~$130. So I'm at $660 plus shipping (and brake fluid), and that's All 4 Corners.

I thought that of the BBK kits, the least expensive one is Willwood, it starts at around $1000, and it's only the front brakes. If it takes another $180 or $200 to do the rear axle,....

Please help me if I'm missing something, but I thought to go BBK would cost almost twice as much as what I'm thinking of spending (for an inexpensive BBK), and that it wouldn't be hard to spend $2100 on a BBK (making it 3 times as much)

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:42 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ntn125
EBC Reds are ok. Cold is slightly better than Hawk HPS but not as much as stock. I like the initial bite myself so plan to try something different next. People has recommended Carbotech Bobcats (1521) to me but I have not tried them. Also, Jan at RMW has rotors/pads set for stock R53 brakes that you may want to check out. I was looking at them before I got R56 brakes with petty of life left.

Agreed, I would get good tires first.
I appreciate the feedback. You're right, I forgot about carbotech.

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:44 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Well under $1000. But you'd need to add rear hoses ($50) and if you need rear pad and rotors (really? Or are you buying just to do all four?) there's that cost to factor yes. The caliper stiffening kits are nice but not sure I'd consider them a requirement.

All the other thoughts viable, just tossing out an option to compare.

Complete four wheel kits, shipped (us) for a tad over $1600. And less than that without calipers. Closer to $1300.

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:50 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Well under $1000. But you'd need to add rear hoses ($50) and if you need rear pad and rotors (really? Or are you buying just to do all four?) there's that cost to factor yes. The caliper stiffening kits are nice but not sure I'd consider them a requirement.

All the other thoughts viable, just tossing out an option to compare.
You're right, it's more just to do all 4, I think the rears aren't bad,... I'm afraid that the Dura Last pads that the previous owner put on might last forever!

Thanks for the option to consider.

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Here is what I would recommend:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmwredbrakepackageR53.html

The brake bushings
http://www.waymotorworks.com/brake-s...-bushings.html

You can go with a Wilwood kit, but keep in mind it may not fit with your wheels
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wilwood...1.75-race.html

Old 11-03-2013 | 05:59 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
I'm at $876 to the door if it helps: black front kit, base rotors, 12.2, all hoses, UPS ground US. Not sure what you'd have in rears...not my market. Work with Way on the other items for sure.

Old 11-03-2013 | 06:15 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
I'm at $876 to the door if it helps: black front kit, base rotors, 12.2, all hoses, UPS ground US. Not sure what you'd have in rears...not my market. Work with Way on the other items for sure.
Thanks man. Im sure that a BBK eats too much into the Pulley Fund though. -I've worked with Way on some stuff in the past. -Prompt and accurate orders with no hassles.

Old 11-03-2013 | 07:05 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Great info. here. Will definitely be bookmarking this page for when the time comes...

Old 11-03-2013 | 08:07 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Do a google search on EBC red pads failing. I've read more than a couple of places about pad to backing plate separation.

Maybe Mr Way can can chime in & give us his take on these failing EBC pads.

Old 11-04-2013 | 04:07 AM
rickdaustin
1st Gear
I've used EBC Red pads for years at Way's suggestion and have never had any issues with the backing plate separating. I've been happy with these brakes and have never had a reason to switch. I am using them with the Wilwood brake kit.

Old 11-04-2013 | 02:25 PM
opticspen
|
1st Gear
certainly I think Akebono is very widely used and have more sales over EBC stuff, I was going to use the Stock Jurid one which I like the initial bite. but unfortunately there is no rear fitment available.
I will likely go with Akebono, which is used by massive amount of customers.

Quick Reply: R50/53 R53 brake pads and rotors recommendation?