R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Condition of your frnt sway bar bushings and ball joint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condition of your frnt sway bar bushings and ball joint question

So I plan on installing my prepressed control arm bushings from Way this week and it sounds like getting to the bracket that holds the bushing is just easier by dropping the subframe in which case, it sounds like everyone recommends changing sway bar bushings while I'm in there but I'm wondering... What's the condition of the old bushings been when you guys have changed them out?

More importantly, should I be changing original ball joints (105k) while I'm in there or is dropping the subframe not necessary if I decide to wait to do that in the future.

Thanks!
Nick

Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
IMHO, at that mileage, inner and outer ball joints should be a no-brainer. Why wait and repeat the labor to get there?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a nice clunk in the front end (dealer said I needed a new steering rack) replaced the front sway-bar bushings and no clunk.... Replaced at about 70K. While you're in there just do it

Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyworld
So I plan on installing my prepressed control arm bushings from Way this week and it sounds like getting to the bracket that holds the bushing is just easier by dropping the subframe in which case, it sounds like everyone recommends changing sway bar bushings while I'm in there but I'm wondering... What's the condition of the old bushings been when you guys have changed them out?

More importantly, should I be changing original ball joints (105k) while I'm in there or is dropping the subframe not necessary if I decide to wait to do that in the future.

Thanks!
Nick
YES.....change the ball joints when you were in there. About 4 months ago I dropped the subframe to put in new LCA bushings, and sway bar bushings. The car had around 90,000 miles on it. The LCA bushings were shot, but the sway bar bushings weren't that bad...but I replaced them anyway.

I wish I would have changed the inner and outer ball joints when I dropped the subframe back them. If would have saved me from having to do it again soon.....to change out the worn out ball joints

If you have the subframe dropped, change anything you think you might need to. And with 109,000 miles on your car...I would change the ball joints, LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, and check the power steering system hoses for leaks.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
If you have the subframe dropped, change anything you think you might need to. And with 109,000 miles on your car...I would change the ball joints, LCA bushings, sway bar bushings, and check the power steering system hoses for leaks.
Doing all of this then :D

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's a no brainer; picking up ball joints today. I called two dealers and one gave me a price of 80.xx for one and 116.xx for a package of two of the other but didn't have them in stock and the other dealership wanted 115.xx for one of them and 95.xx for the other and didn't offer them in a package nor did they have them in stock. Over $400 for a set, OUCH! Guess I'm going aftermarket here :D

Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by crazyworld
Doing all of this then :D

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's a no brainer; picking up ball joints today. I called two dealers and one gave me a price of 80.xx for one and 116.xx for a package of two of the other but didn't have them in stock and the other dealership wanted 115.xx for one of them and 95.xx for the other and didn't offer them in a package nor did they have them in stock. Over $400 for a set, OUCH! Guess I'm going aftermarket here :D
Check out rockauto online, you can get ball joints for around $25 each (or less). No need to spend all that money on "factory" mini ball joints.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
Thanks for the tip. I love RockAuto but was hoping to do all the work on it Sunday so amazon prime was to the rescue! (although rock auto still comes close if not a hair cheaper even if I was to use next day shipping). I was already going to be driving an hour to the MINI dealer to pick up the sway bar bushings so it was worth a shot.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM
bimmertek
Neutral
The ball joints do make sense to replace specially the one bolted to the subframe as they won't pop out that easy, most sway bar bushings look good but if you can get them cheap why not. Replace the bushing brackets and completely drop subframe(inc front bumper) if you don't have the special tools and you will need a helper(will make the job less of a bear) I just bought all the tools and hopefully I can make this job much easier w/o dropping frame.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
What special tools are you using to change out the ball joints without dropping the subframe? I've seen a few people try it, but they either end up cutting holes in their floor to gain access to them, or spend all day trying to get a wrench in the tight space you have if you go in from the bottom side. I think when it's all said and done, it's much faster to just drop the subframe to get the ball joints out. It's not that hard to drop the subframe.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 AM
bimmertek
Neutral
I do drop the frame couple inches to removed them and get to the top bolts with my EZ RED long flex ratchet wrench once all the bolts are loose push sway bar/bracket towards front for bolt to clear body it is still a pain cause all the bolts I guess they rust easy and very to hard to loosen I broke 2 Ez red wrenches in my last job and it is a must to have a helper. Also installing control arm into bushing you need a press(if you don't have the special tool) that also requires to be creative, pushing the control arm with pry bars is not going to happen it only works in you tube and pelican parts tech center . I don't have the special tools but I went straight to ebay to order them after my last job so I will post a review doing the bushings using those special tools

Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I wonder how much faster it really is doing is that way vs. dropping the subframe all the way down and pulling it out from under the car? If you are going to drop the subframe a few inches, why not just get it all the way out of there?

If I remember right, when I did my lower control arm bushings...the whole job took me around two hours, and that included pulling the subframe all the way out of the car.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
bimmertek
Neutral
I got the tools and did bushings like TIS repair manual. it was much less hassle.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM
crazyworld
2nd Gear
I was going to post a reply here but then it sort of ended up being a write up. I posted a few tips and details of my subframe drop w/ ball joint, sway bar bushing and control arm bushing install over here. Hope it helps someone.

Nick