R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New MINI, aftermarket cruise control available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cont....

This is the MINI retrofit kit as ordered from the dealership. I can't wait to get this installed.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is for a 2002-2004 steering wheel. I loved that wheel with the back buttons for the stereo and the better feeling cruise control in the front. US regulations killed the 2-spoke wheel after the 2004 MY but it is still sold in new MINIs elsewhere in the world.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What kind of regulations took out the 2-spoke wheel?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it did not comply with the dual stage airbags fitted to MY 2005 MINIs with the 3 spoke wheel.

There are 2005 - 2008 R53 and R52 MINIs elsewhere in the world with the old 2 spoker wheel from factory.

I'll research it a little more.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 PM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
Have you got a photo from the accelerator pedal sensor?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
denny's mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
This is the MINI retrofit kit as ordered from the dealership. I can't wait to get this installed.
I'm so jealous. When I was looking to adopt a previously motored MINI, I really did not want to buy one without cruise control. However, the economy was better then and all I could afford was a 2002 without it. I still want to add it because I drive from Austin to Houston quite a bit and my cerebral cruise control does not always work. Would you mind sharing with me how much you paid for the retrofit kit? I think my brother could install it for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What did the kit cost?

You say you ordered it from the dealer? Part number?

How has the install gone? did ya git er done?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ItaMamuel
Have you got a photo from the accelerator pedal sensor?
No sorry.

Originally Posted by denny's mini
Would you mind sharing with me how much you paid for the retrofit kit? I think my brother could install it for me.
My cost was quite a bit lower than what the typical customer would pay. I work for the dealership and have a club discount as well. The parts for somebody without those was just under $1000.

Originally Posted by MINIdave
What did the kit cost?

You say you ordered it from the dealer? Part number?

How has the install gone? did ya git er done?
1. See above response
2. Don't have my invoice with me; it's in my car. See response below
3. Install has not gone well so far. Got the new wheel installed and the audio controls work, but it has no power to the cruise control. The tech has been working after hours to solve the issue, but now we are waiting on an additional part. (long story, but something broke)

I haven't forgotten about posting an update to this thread for those interested, because i certainly would like to share the information i've gotten regarding this kit; and considering i have inside information working at the dealership and working with the tech who's doing the installation for me. I just haven't had a real update worth posting yet. I should hopefully know something worthwhile early next week.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
abarks
2nd Gear
FD3SDriver

Please keep us up-to-date with your progress. I have a 2006 MCS that I ordered without the MFSW. I'm still kicking myself for having not chosen that option.

I have investigated the retrofit kit for my car. I have a printed copy of the latest instruction (March 2006 edition) from my dealer. I got them within the last 2 months, so I assume that will be the last edition of the instructions.

Here's what I have learned about the retrofit for my 2006.
  • Kit 65-71-0-395-006 retrofits cars with the sports steering wheel. If you don't have the sports steering wheel, you have to buy one. The price of the kit without the steering wheel is approximately $350.
  • Installation requires 3.5 hours for all R50s, R52s, and R53s. None of the first generation cars appear to be pre-wired. There are some minor differences in some years related to the clutch pedal switch, but the 3.5 hours seems to be the same for all years.
  • The kit requires the installation of a wiring harness that runs from the ECU, to the steearing wheel, and across to the passenger's side kick panel. It appears that the harness has pins attached that need to push into the existing wiring harness connectors. I don't know how hard it is to push the pins into the connectors without breaking the connectors.
  • Once it is all wired, the dealer or someone with the SSS application has to code the computer to recognize the cruise.
My dealer said that they had never done the installation and said that they would charge me for 7 hours because it was too risky for them to charge me for 3.5. All in, it would cost me approximately $1100. That seemed ridiculous to me.

I am currently considering installing the kit myself then having the dealer code the computer.

If anyone on this forum has actually installed the kit, I would love to hear about their experience.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
SteveB625
4th Gear
I don't know if it would work on a MINI but I used an Audiovox Cruise Control on my 1979 MGB. It worked GREAT. I needed it because the gas pedal location and seating quickly lead to extreme leg cramps. It was nice to set it on long highway runs up to Lake George. At the time (about 1998) it was $68.Amazon shows it for $90 now.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by abarks
  • The kit requires the installation of a wiring harness that runs from the ECU, to the steering wheel, and across to the passenger's side kick panel. It appears that the harness has pins attached that need to push into the existing wiring harness connectors. I don't know how hard it is to push the pins into the connectors without breaking the connectors.
  • Once it is all wired, the dealer or someone with the SSS application has to code the computer to recognize the cruise.
Currently still waiting on a connector to be flown over from Germany; est. arrival is Tuesday. The pins are a real pain and have given the most frustration up to this point. As stated in my last post; i certainly have not forgotten about this thread, and it's my true intention to let everybody know how it goes. It's just a waiting game right now.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
ItaMamuel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
Currently still waiting on a connector to be flown over from Germany; est. arrival is Tuesday. The pins are a real pain and have given the most frustration up to this point. As stated in my last post; i certainly have not forgotten about this thread, and it's my true intention to let everybody know how it goes. It's just a waiting game right now.
I just need to know or see the parts i need...!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ItaMamuel
I just need to know or see the parts i need...!

This should help ;

http://www.outmotoring.com/images/ho..._MFSW_gen1.PDF

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My dealer said that they had never done the installation and said that they would charge me for 7 hours because it was too risky for them to charge me for 3.5.
Funny how dealers never charge you less for jobs completed in less time than the standard quote, though!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Small update: Retrofit Kit Part # as ordered my from dealership is:

65-71-0-029-494

The job is still not done, but again there seems to be issues with the pins associated with the DME. Not quite sure what that really means, i don't really understand this stuff. I now have power to the cruise itself, the light comes on, but the buttons to set the speed don't actually work.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
SpinThis!
1st Gear
DME is BMW's term for engine management:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ectronics.html

In other words, it sounds like the mechanical isn't playing ball with the electrical.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
DONE!!!!

Apparently, there was a step missing from the instructions that EVERYBODY links to.

There is a difference in the instructions for cars built before 09/05, after 09/05.

These instructions deal with connecting branch A9, VI/GR cable to (2) different PIN's based on the years posted above, and connecting to X10200 on the fuse holder II (1).

On cars built before 07/04 with a manual gearbox and without a metal lug on the clutch pedal;---press a sensor plate (3) with the lugs (4) facing upwards into the mounting (2) on the clutch pedal (1).

-Now the cruise works with all the functions, etc. All because of this information that WAS NOT in the instructions everybody links to.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Mark McCormick
1st Gear
FD3SDriver,
Hows the cruise working out? I'm trying to work out how to do this with my 2004. I got a quote from the dealer for a bit under $1000 for the retrofit kit, however I don't need the MFSW (I already have a salvaged two spoke).
The dealer was not willing to go further in the exploration at the parts counter. His final word was that the kit comes with the wheel. Did you stumble across a parts number for a kit that doesn't include the wheel? I have the instructions, so I'm sure there's a part list to go piece by piece from if needed.
Thanks for any help,

Mark

Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark McCormick
FD3SDriver,
Hows the cruise working out? I'm trying to work out how to do this with my 2004. I got a quote from the dealer for a bit under $1000 for the retrofit kit, however I don't need the MFSW (I already have a salvaged two spoke).
The dealer was not willing to go further in the exploration at the parts counter. His final word was that the kit comes with the wheel. Did you stumble across a parts number for a kit that doesn't include the wheel? I have the instructions, so I'm sure there's a part list to go piece by piece from if needed.
Thanks for any help,

Mark
The cruise is working out REALLY nice; i have some small about how it works when i try to increase the speed, but overall i'm very pleased. Yes, the kit does come with the wheel, and i'd be very surprised if there was a part number for a kit that doesn't include it.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Mark McCormick
1st Gear
My dealer mentioned that sometimes the parts list for a kit doesn't really list all of the parts (!?). That seems unlikely to me, but what do I know. The instructions that I have are Labeled; Multi-functional steering wheel retrofit kit (R50) #65 71 0 029 494.

The parts list is as follows; 1. steering wheel harness, 2. additional K bus cable 3. 40 pin black plug 4. Torx screw for plastic 5. Clutch switch 6. Front left button block with connection cable 7. Steering wheel connection cable 8. Slip ring with air bag cable 9. Front right button block 10. Rear left button block 11. MFSW 12. Rear right button block

I don't need numbers 6,9,10,11 and 12. However the parts list doesn't give me the individual parts numbers. I guess the question becomes "are those parts available separately?"

You know, its like Mini doesn't want me to do this for less then $1200

Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
SpinThis!
1st Gear
Not sure if this helps but minifans.info has this for the parts list of the retrofit cruise:

http://minifans.info/part-65710029494/

$1200 sounds steep, even with the wheel. Sounds like your dealer is charging retail. Pelicanparts.com wants $963 for the whole kit and I bet you could do even better than that if you can take out the $300+ wheel. I would call or e-mail Classic Mini in Ohio. Mention you're a NAM member and you'll get 20% off. I talked to Jayson. They gave me a great price on all the parts needed to go from the 2-spoke to the 3-spoke (JCW) wheel.

Last edited by SpinThis!; 04-12-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Mark McCormick
1st Gear
That looks like what I needed! Now to make some phone calls......

Thanks!
Mark

Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
abarks
2nd Gear
So, FD3SDriver, what was the final tally on hours? How many did it take to actually perform the installation? Any idea?

Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
So, FD3SDriver, what was the final tally on hours? How many did it take to actually perform the installation? Any idea?
Well; don't actually know because of the time lost when the instructions were incorrect. Sorry.

Quick Reply: R50/53 New MINI, aftermarket cruise control available?