R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 ECU flash modules: a little clarification please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
ECU flash modules: a little clarification please

ive done a fair amount of research on the R53 flash programmers, but i still need some clarification.

for example: can i get the RMW flash module, and have it tuned by another tuner, such as WMW? or is it "whoevers module goes to that tuner"?

i have asked Jan specifically about this, but did not receive an answer.

also, i wanted to get such a module, have a "canned" tune put on to accommodate my current "basic" mods of pulley, intake, exhaust, ect. then after i get a Cam and injectors installed have the car tuned proper on a dyno. is this do-able without having to Pay for tuning twice?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you by the tuner from Way or from RMW it will be married to that Tuner and that Car!

All that boxes allows you to do is change the flash to YOUR ECU ONLY.

Example:

I bought the DimSport Programmer from RMW, I used it on my Car. It will now only work with Tunes from RMW (Jan), and My MCSa (VIN Number).

It has to do with the way that DimSport does the programming these is a Master Programmer (a box that Jan or Way Have) and a Client (the one that you buy). It can be un-Married but you have to pay DimSport to do this.

The programmer is still very useful to some people, examples:

• You are not going to be where the Tuner is, so you can put the car on the Dyno, send the info to the tuner and they create a file that they sent back to you, and you use your Client DimSport tool to upload it.
  • You can go back to stock on your own as the DimSport Box keeps the Stock file stored.
  • You can have more than one tune for the car, example I have two tunes for my car; one with water/meth and one w/o w/m, and I can change them out using the DimSport Box.
  • They can send you canned tunes; example I added a cam and Jan was able to send me a base tune for that cam to I could drive to the Dyno
  • If the Dealer reflashes your DME/ECU you can put your tune back.
I recently had Jan here for a tune party and while here he was tuning a car in Turkey via remote, that person has the DimSport Box. Jan was in Orlando!

Last edited by c0op3r; 02-11-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
i do understand How the flash modules work in that sense, being married to one car, ect.

there is a member that has a RMW flash module for sale, claims its unmarried (anyone know if there is a way to verify this?).

i just needed to know if i got that module if i had to have jan tune it, or if another tuner with proper software could tune through that module.

anyway, anyone know if i can do the other thing? start with a "canned" tune (that i hopefully can obtain for free) and wait till i get the last of my performance bits for the real tune?

lastly, who (if either) is better? WMW or RMW?! WMW's module is more expensive, and no idea on tune price....

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
I will send you a PM with the answers as I do not feel that it would be right for me to post that information Public.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Yes there is a way to tell if the unit is LOCKED to a car:

Power up via USB or OBDII Port, at Main Menu Choose INFO, at INFO screen Choose PROTOCOL, it will say STATE: LOCK ON VIN.

If that is what it says it has to be reset!