R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI was totaled; need help figuring out good used MINI options for replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by minsanity
As car designs progress, the electronics get more complex. The rest is pretty much the same mechanical mumbo jumbo.
<snip>
That's good to know; that's something I've been wondering about.

If you haven't discovered the fun of DIY tinkering, R50/53s are perfect for such......Not to mention, they're more connected & simply the best proportioned MINIs out there.

If I were to get another one? Hands down, a gen1!
My MINI is an 09; I like the mp3 player, the 6th gear, the way it handles, and the bigger size when I'm carting my bike around, but have to admit that I do prefer the look/size of our 05 and 06 MINIs.

I don't think my daughter will be a DIYer, though; not because she's not inclined, but because she has so little time (recent college grad, new job in startup, etc).

Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
if your looking for a justa, id actually reconmend the 2nd gen. since gas mileage seems to be more of a concern than actual power
<snip>
granted the 1st gens are easy to work on, but the 2nd gen justas are reliable unlike the S counterparts. as for issues in first gens 05-06 are definently the best ones to get and theres no difference minus the supercharger in reliableitly between the S and justa.

take you time and figure out which one suits you the best.

the GF's justa does have some pep and has a tid bit more room =)
Everything you've said makes sense, too! I'm really torn between 1st Gen and 2nd. Taking our time is good advice, if we can... she isn't desperate for a car, since she can walk to work, but she still misses it for grocery shopping, general going out, etc.

The decision will probably be swayed on whether a nice 1st Gen 05/06 or 2nd Gen maybe 08/09ish? becomes available at a great price.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:29 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
While I know nothing about the car -- I would not go anywhere near a car with that high of mileage and those kinds of mods if I was not fully well prepared to be stripping that car down and rebuilding it... with the tools, knowledge, space time etc. A car that was intended to be raced was definitely not babied. A car with those kind of mods was driven -- and driven hard.
That should have been obvious; guess I need to hear that, too. Duh, right? We were wondering if this was a super amazing car, great deal, etc. but you're right - bottom line is it was probably driven hard, and as Aspen commented, why pay for all those mods when they're not important to us?

Keep looking -- for your daughter you want a very reliable, safe, and trouble free car. Honest truth - if it were my daughter I would have her put that 4,500 or 8,000 if she can towards a new FIAT 500 -- similar quirky characteristics (exterior and interior) and they are only like 15k new. 7k financed over 5 years is like 110 a month. new car, similar (not comparable) for a non-hardcore driver and would have a new car warranty.
A car like that probably makes more sense than a MINI; she isn't crazy about the FIAT, but I think she is checking out other small cars.

.....but Bruce, the proven savior, was a gen1 MINI. And, she's pulling for another one, not a FIAT nor any other car.
She's trying to find out what happened to Bruce; is wondering whether it might be possible - if he wasn't taken apart - to buy him back. Maybe this isn't advisable... we need to find out whether cars that are salvaged need to be repaired so that they meet the original safety standards (since his frame was damaged) of the car and that it's not just a cosmetic repair.

Still, she'd love to get Bruce back!

Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The MINI just isn't an appliance car like say a Fit or Yaris. The latter 2 will generally be more reliable. Sadly, they just won't offer the same excitement.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
That's the catch. :( She's paying for all of her car expenses (athough we'd help her w/ her replacement MINI) and had had Bruce in for service just prior to the accident, so she's felt the pain of the relatively high(er) maintenance costs. The fact that she's hesitating at all in getting a different call tells me that she both really loves MINIs and also is trying to be fiscally smart. So, still looking and debating...

I think she was about ready to make an offer on the 2002 S w all the mods, which in hindsight would have been a mistake. So this thread has been a huge help - thanks to all who have given input!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
If she's bent on getting another MINI & is among those who plan to keep it 'forever', then an unmolested 05-06 Gen1 (Getrag stick or S Aisin auto) would be ideal. Those who've tried both gens would likely tell you how much simpler, more reliable & easier on the pocket the earlier 1 is.

Here's a quote from Stoker:
"Yep... stay with the R53, I have both… The R56/Gen 2 Has way to many "finicky problems" that cost a fortune to fix (Hourly Rate, not the parts).. The "carbon build up" sucks the life out of the engine. The R53 is so much easier to work on… I won't, work on the R56.. i get someone else to do it…"

Last edited by minsanity; 05-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:46 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
There should be more of these out there:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

Last edited by minsanity; 05-24-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyalice
She's trying to find out what happened to Bruce; is wondering whether it might be possible - if he wasn't taken apart - to buy him back. Maybe this isn't advisable... we need to find out whether cars that are salvaged need to be repaired so that they meet the original safety standards (since his frame was damaged) of the car and that it's not just a cosmetic repair. Still, she'd love to get Bruce back!
This is personal opinion but cars are meant to be crashed ONCE. All those forces that the car underwent during the crash are well outside normal operating conditions. No cars these days are built like cars of the 70s/80s....solid high grade steel. Globalization and material sourcing from the lowest cost supplier etc...they truly don't build them like they used to. Also salvage cars face particular challenges with insurance etc...

Not telling your daughter what to do but I love Zip Car...not sure what city she lives in but in NYC we used them all the time even though we had the mini. Car for an hour is like $14 --- use it and only pay for it when ever you need the car. If you use it 4 times a month for 2 hours that's like 100 ish a month. That cost included gas...I'm sure there is a car sharing company out there.

Anyhow if she isn't desperate I would hold out for a 2005/2006 - specifically. We actually bought our 2003 in California and used it for a cross country road trip back to NYC...,my then girlfriend now wife had an amazing time of it...the car has been solid but I have had to replace:

Lower control arm bushings
Upper strut mounts
Power steering pump
Ac clutch coil
Cooling fan
Various other items

I did most of the work myself..still was costly...and if I were just getting started in life probably would have been pretty overwhelming.

Find a car with low miles that have proof of the items above being fixed and no mods.

Good luck

Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedyalice
That's the catch. :( She's paying for all of her car expenses (athough we'd help her w/ her replacement MINI) and had had Bruce in for service just prior to the accident, so she's felt the pain of the relatively high(er) maintenance costs. The fact that she's hesitating at all in getting a different call tells me that she both really loves MINIs and also is trying to be fiscally smart. So, still looking and debating...

I think she was about ready to make an offer on the 2002 S w all the mods, which in hindsight would have been a mistake. So this thread has been a huge help - thanks to all who have given input!
If you are in Michigan, give Chad and the guys at Detroit Tuned a call or e-mail (www.detroittuned.com). They are at 15 Mile and Gratiot in Roseville and are without a doubt the best people to talk to about used MINI's! Chad has serviced my MINIs since 2003 and I wouldn't trust anyone else with my cars. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them actually. He may even have leads on used MINIs for sale in the area. Also, check out the michiganmini.org forum. Lots of great people and advice there. Hope this helps.

BD

Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Thanks for posting these! They're such nice cars; very tempting, but I wish they were Justas. Or that we could find Justa just like them. Seems like there are so many S's for sale relative to Justas. If she had more $$$, that would be great, but she's decided to stick with Justa for now due to her financial situation. Still looking... there are some on eBay, but none near where she or I live, and we're a bit hesitant to get one that way, even from a dealer. Maybe that's unwarranted.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
This is personal opinion but cars are meant to be crashed ONCE. All those forces that the car underwent during the crash are well outside normal operating conditions. No cars these days are built like cars of the 70s/80s....solid high grade steel. Globalization and material sourcing from the lowest cost supplier etc...they truly don't build them like they used to. Also salvage cars face particular challenges with insurance etc...

Not telling your daughter what to do but I love Zip Car...not sure what city she lives in but in NYC we used them all the time even though we had the mini.
Thank you - this was very helpful. You're probably right - the kind of hit Bruce took might have resulted in too much compromising of the frame's integrity. :(

I'll mention Zip Car to her - I know she's used one while traveling. Maybe that could tide her over until she finds her MINI.

Will add your list of things to check to her list of things to check... those are so good to be aware of! Thanks.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM
scottie10014
3rd Gear
I found my Cooper S on Ebay, but I didn't bid on it. I called up the dealership, told them I wanted to see it in person (it was in NJ, I was/am in NY), popped over for a test drive and bought it directly. It's had the odd issue here and there (it's almost 10 yrs old), but I still love it.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
If you are in Michigan, give Chad and the guys at Detroit Tuned a call or e-mail (www.detroittuned.com). They are at 15 Mile and Gratiot in Roseville and are without a doubt the best people to talk to about used MINI's! Chad has serviced my MINIs since 2003 and I wouldn't trust anyone else with my cars. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them actually. He may even have leads on used MINIs for sale in the area. Also, check out the michiganmini.org forum. Lots of great people and advice there. Hope this helps.

BD
Wow, great resources, thank you! Detroit Tuned sounds like a gold mine... wish they were in my back yard. Loved checking out their website; I didn't see any used MINIs for sale.. seems like they could be a wonderful source of them. I feel kind of funny contacting them - don't want to use up their time - but if they have time to answer a short email, that would be fabulous. Didn't realize the Michigan Mini forum existed... apparently I live under a rock on the west side of the state. Gah. Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
speedyalice
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scottie10014
I found my Cooper S on Ebay, but I didn't bid on it. I called up the dealership, told them I wanted to see it in person (it was in NJ, I was/am in NY), popped over for a test drive and bought it directly. It's had the odd issue here and there (it's almost 10 yrs old), but I still love it.
That's a good idea; I have been looking all over the country (thinking in case something really, really great came up I could fly out and see it, drive it back), but maybe should focus a little closer to either OR or MI, where I could do what you did.