R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 The Great DSC Thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:19 PM
LombardStreet
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XAlfa
With ASC, CBC and EBD, it seems like all the data and infrastructure would be in place for DSC. And there isn't even a separate toggle for ASC and DSC. So what would be required to retrofit an S with DSC? Seems like it could be as basic as swapping in some software, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about...
Apparently the MTH-Powerchip ECU mod enables DSC on ASC-equipped cars. As I recall, this is only costs $75 plus another $100 or so for the cable. Here's the thread: MTH Chiptuning Info and How To thread. It's a HUGE thread and DSC is only touched on peripherally, so you might want to search for DSC once you get in the thread.

When I read this, I was surprised. My DSC unit is inside the passenger side (right side) cowl vent. Is yours there? Does it say "DSC" on it? Does it have 6 hydraulic lines going to it?

Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Adding DSC after purchase

Originally Posted by tattman23
I'm interested in answers to this question - as a long time lurker, I've never seen this particular retro-fit posted here.

I'll post my MA's answer as soon as I have the opportunity to inquire. It's never as simple (or as cheap) as it should be though...

Gratefully,
Tatt

I'm interested in this question too! Anyone know?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Nicholasp27
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i've read on the MTH, it will lessen the effect of DSC, causing it to only come on in the most dire of situations (ie spinout) instead of when pulling out of a traffic light too quickly...i have not read that it actually gives a non-dsc car dsc, and i highly doubt that would be the case...

but it is good for making the DSC less intrusive...

Old 01-04-2005, 08:05 AM
buzzy
3rd Gear
The DSC on my 05 doesn't seem as intrusive as everyone else is making out. It'll let me slide a little and do some correction before kicking in. If I pull away swiftly it only kicks in if i spin the wheels.

Luke

Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
LombardStreet
Oops - my apologies for getting this screwed up!

Sorry, everyone - I disremembered the stuff about DSC/ASC and MTH.

Apparently, if you have a car without ASC (a Cooper), the MTH-Powerchip will enable ASC. But NOT DSC, which requires additional hardware.

I apologize if I made things more confusing!

Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Inimay
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care what electronics you have, tires make all the difference. Summer tires and most performace "all season" tires can't handle cold or snow.

I look forward to getting the DSC. The mercedes version saved me once when driving in Germany... Thanks for the winter driving tips with the stuttering on acceleration.

The following users liked this post:
ghostwrench (04-29-2023)
Old 01-06-2005, 09:26 AM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
With ASC, CBC and EBD, it seems like all the data and infrastructure would be in place for DSC. And there isn't even a separate toggle for ASC and DSC. So what would be required to retrofit an S with DSC? Seems like it could be as basic as swapping in some software, but I really have no idea what I'm talking about...
DSC is more that just different software.

ASC uses only engine input (torque) and wheelspeeds to determine that the driven wheel(s) are not getting proper traction and either reduces torque through the engine or applies the brake to a slipping wheel or both depending on the circumstances.

DSC on the other hand also requires steering angle input (to determin where the drive wants to go), yaw sensor and lateral acceleration sensor. These addition sensors allong with the wheelspeeds tell the DSC controller if the vehicle is going in the direction the driver wants. If the car is oversteering or understeering, the DSC will apply braking pressure to one or more wheels and potentially request the engine to reduce torque.

In short, you would need to retrofit a steering sensor in the steering column, a yaw-rate and acceleration sensor located under the handbrake, and the DSC unit itself.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Nicholasp27
2nd Gear
i kinda like when it kicks on from a red light...if u gun it enough to get it on but not enough to make it actually slow down the car, the MINI kinda 'hops' ... makes the S even more like Mario Kart on 150cc class...now if i could only find a way to get that power boost from the hop like in the game...or those invincibility stars...

Old 01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcoon

ASC uses only engine input (torque) and wheelspeeds to determine that the driven wheel(s) are not getting proper traction and either reduces torque through the engine or applies the brake to a slipping wheel or both depending on the circumstances.

DSC on the other hand also requires steering angle input (to determin where the drive wants to go), yaw sensor and lateral acceleration sensor. These addition sensors allong with the wheelspeeds tell the DSC controller if the vehicle is going in the direction the driver wants. If the car is oversteering or understeering, the DSC will apply braking pressure to one or more wheels and potentially request the engine to reduce torque.

In short, you would need to retrofit a steering sensor in the steering column, a yaw-rate and acceleration sensor located under the handbrake, and the DSC unit itself.
Thanks for the reply/explanation, mattcoon!
This is why I love this forum

Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM
XAlfa
Banned

Thanks, mattcoon. Do you know what sensors are used by CBC and EBD? I would have thought CBC required a steering sensor.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Not sure where you live, but I live in very snowy NE Ohio, and I LOVE the DSC in the snow...

Old 01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
lotsie
Banned
I toggle off the ASC from time to time,it sucks getting going on ice,wheel spin is harder to control and everyone pulls away from me.With it on the car pulls better,does not lurch as bad if I hit dry pavement,and with snow tires,I find I can keep my foot in it more,and the light blinks,not on steady and bogging me down like with the all seasons.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
Thanks, mattcoon. Do you know what sensors are used by CBC and EBD? I would have thought CBC required a steering sensor.
CBC and EBD are an extension of ABS and only require wheelspeed sensors. EBD just looks at the rate of deceleration using the wheelspeeds alone. CBC looks at the difference of left side to right side to determine if the vehicle is turning. DSC requires more information to get the proper vehicle dynamics and what the driver wants. CBC, ABS, EBD don't care what the driver wants, just what the vehicle can do while brakes are applied.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:54 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by Nuvolari
I have ASC on my Cooper. Is this something just not offered in the States? My car came in from Canada.
ASC+T is standard in Canadian spec Coopers, but unavailable in US spec Coopers.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:17 PM
XAlfa
Banned
CBC and EBD are an extension of ABS and only require wheelspeed sensors. EBD just looks at the rate of deceleration using the wheelspeeds alone. CBC looks at the difference of left side to right side to determine if the vehicle is turning. DSC requires more information to get the proper vehicle dynamics and what the driver wants. CBC, ABS, EBD don't care what the driver wants, just what the vehicle can do while brakes are applied.
That makes complete sense. I'll just have to trust you that it's correct. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
coco
Neutral
Opinions on DSC

I am ordering my 2006 Cooper S convertable tomorrow and was wondering if I need to include the DSC. I live in AZ, and too old to race. Thanks

Old 09-29-2005, 01:11 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
You pretty much asnwered your question. If you are into racing or other sorts of performance driving, you should not get the DSC. DSC helps you get out of trouble in emergencies, such as rain, snow, ice. It balances the car when the sensors find a wheel losing traction. I keep it on in my daily driving, and when I am on a Sunday run or autocross, turn it off, because you do not need to many electronics get involved, in sake of having full control on the car, drive faster.

Bottom line is, most likely you will not need it, but one time you need it, might be too late. Get it, not too expensive either.

Berk

Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
It might not hurt - here's my reasoning...

Recent studies have shown that stability control systems have reduced the occurance of fatal single car crashes by like 50%. That is huge, on par with air bags and seatbelts.

So, it could be that in a few years, resale on cars without a stability control system will suffer. You might also start to see favorable insurance rates for cars with stability control.

I could be all wrong. My Mini does not have DSC, but had I known this before I ordered it, I might have gotten it. But I did buy the car specifically for autocrossing, and rarely drive it for anything else, so I guess I'm doing ok. Still wouldn't mind having it for the drive to and from the autocross, though!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Well for me it was money I'd rather spend elsewhere. Like for a LSD. I'm not a fan of electronic nannies on my cars. At least they give you an off switch. Wish the abs had one of those switches. When I need a computer to drive the car for me I'll give up & take the bus. Just my .02 here.

Chuck

Old 09-29-2005, 09:35 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crashton
Well for me it was money I'd rather spend elsewhere. Like for a LSD. I'm not a fan of electronic nannies on my cars. At least they give you an off switch. Wish the abs had one of those switches. When I need a computer to drive the car for me I'll give up & take the bus. Just my .02 here.

Chuck
agreed.

Although just to play devil's advocate, wouldn't an LSD just be a mechanical nanny?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by effusant
agreed.

Although just to play devil's advocate, wouldn't an LSD just be a mechanical nanny?
Ouch. That one had to hurt him, Bob. Let's see what he comes back with...

Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by effusant
agreed.

DSC is definitely an option for some owners. You could save some money and just skip it if you drive sanely 100% of the time. Congrats from me if you are one of the few that can accomplish that feat in a MINI!

LSD is mechanical but it is enabled all of the time to "help" you have the most traction as is possible. It acts to assist you, not override your actions like the DSC sometimes does.

DSC is not active all of the time, only when it senses loss of traction- hence the "nanny" comes alive.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Ah, so then would you say that the LSD more like a live-in au pair?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
Wish the abs had one of those switches. When I need a computer to drive the car for me I'll give up & take the bus.
There's a fuse for the ABS if you really don't want to use it.
Curious about those times you'd CHOOSE to lock up your tires though...

DSC is cheap insurance. Much like car insurance, you hope you never use it. Unlike car insurance, you only pay for it once.
You may be able to see every slick spot, bit of gravel in a tight corner, or oil on the road. Then again, you may not.

A nanny tells you not to do things. The computer is more like a kind aunt who doesn't tell your mother you screwed up...

So why is this thread in 2007 mini talk?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
So why is this thread in 2007 mini talk?
Ask Coco.

Quick Reply: R50/53 The Great DSC Thread (merged)