R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004 | 01:13 PM
BoilerUp!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sirius
You mean like this one?

While on her way to Southampton and then the USA, the "Tricolor" sank in the English Channel on December 14, 2002 after a collision another ship. She carried 2,862 new BMW, SAAB, and Volvo automobiles. In the above photo, her hull rises above sea level at low tide. Estimated Cargo Value: $50 Million.

Sirus- Thanks....this is the first time I have been happy that I missed my ride on the Freedom!

Old 08-29-2004 | 03:25 PM
Sirius
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sirius
I just found the FREEDOM's call sign (WDB5483) on the Ocean Weather page. It looks like she's right in the middle of the Atlantic.
It had disappeared but now it is back!

Old 08-29-2004 | 03:29 PM
Del
2nd Gear
Mountaingal,

With the power out in the area, the roads flooded, trees down, and the whole thing moving inland creating more flooding, I would guess the VPC there would have more pressing things to do than process cars.

Hopefully few will be hurt and the recovery can begin soon.

Old 08-29-2004 | 04:21 PM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
From: The Appalachian Mountains in Northwest North Carolina (about 12 miles west of Boone, NC)
Charleston VDC

Originally Posted by Del
MountainGal,

With the power out in the area, the roads flooded, trees down, and the whole thing moving inland creating more flooding, I would guess the VPC there would have more pressing things to do than process cars.

Hopefully few will be hurt and the recovery can begin soon.
OOOH, that sounds awful. For some reason, there just isn't the coverage on this that there was on Charley - I'll have to do a little looking on the web. I don't know how people manage in these circumstances.

I guess this may mean an even longer delay for sjbaker, whose MCSC, Hooter, has already been long delayed because she's getting her new roof at Charleston's VPC. Those folks must be literally swamped! I hope that the lasting damage is minimal.

Old 08-29-2004 | 05:06 PM
4wheeldrift
1st Gear
Just got the call today from my MA our car is at the dealer. We should be getting it Tue or Wed. I cant wait.

Old 08-29-2004 | 07:05 PM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
From: The Appalachian Mountains in Northwest North Carolina (about 12 miles west of Boone, NC)
OOOH - lucky you! Be sure to tell us all about it!

Old 08-29-2004 | 07:21 PM
HB05MCS
2nd Gear
2005 Hyper Blue Delivery Westchester MINI

Hi All,

I returned from Hawaii last Wednesday and picked up my car on Thursday afternoon! I had to make an unplanned trip up to Rochester NY on Friday and Just returned home. The my MCS has 900 miles on it already. So far all I know is that I have perma-smile from driving the car! As I mentioned in earlier posts I purchased the car from Westchester MINI in Elmsford NY, my MA was Steve Stein and he was a true pleasure to work with. I have bought 4 cars from various dealers and I will say that he went above and beyond to make this a pleasurable experience, keeping me up to date via email and sending me anything he came across to help in the research, and he is a great person above all the car stuff. The MINI was inside the prep garage when I went to pick it up and it was spotless with some surprises inside!!! HYPER BLUE IS SO beautiful, and to everyone who complained when they changed INDI BLUE, you are just jealous b/c HYPER BLUE is a much better color.Westchester MINI was more than happy to program the car the way I had wanted, auto locks at 10Mph, auto un-lock with ignition off, no DRLs, convienice items, and I even have the fuel warning beep turned on. I have read numerous posts on the internet about how horrible this dealership was/is and honestly can say someone must have an personal agenda posting that info. They went out of their way with everything and I have no complaints at all.
As for the car: It is everything I hope for and more..... I am still in the break in period so driving the 650 mile round trip was long, as I had to constantly downshift and upsift to vary the speed and RPM's while constantly varying the gas pedal pressure. It was so much fun though, taking turns and accelerating. The MP3 cd player works very well, it does not list song names at all but rather works in the same matter a cd changer would, I burned a quick disk with 6 albums and I was good to go, what a bonus!. The quality of the sound and volume was also better than I previously thought, the MFSW contols were easy to use and can go from preset to preset (something previous cars I owned did not do!) or seek. Seats provided much more support and comfort than I had anticipated as well ( I really love the two tone grey/black).
My one complaint would be that the new cup holder absolutely SUCKS.... it is just junk in function, whatever is in there needs to have a screw on cap because in cornering and acceleration it is definately moving around. Also the rubber "tentacles" grab onto glass bottles so you have to fight them when lifting the drink up... annoying. New Xenons are excellent and very bright, many people complained about the looks of them earlier on; I personally like them and so has everyone else that has viewed the car.The exhaust is definately more audible than previous models as the popping on downshifts is very pronounced but not overpowering. The shorter gears do make shifting a more rapid sequence than previous but not too rapid like some other cars I have owned in the past. The added horsepower and shorter gears make the car noticibly more powerful and quicker.All of the new added interior features are GREAT improvements. I can not imagine the car without them. As a note with the cockpit chrono, it is cool and does function properly BUT the scales on the gauges are strange, they are not even at all seems to be they designed the mechanisms for Metric and then just changed the Numbers for the US instead of having seperate mechanisms. Auto A/C actually worked very well, unlike the previous car I owned. No shakes squeaks or rattles (excluding the boot cargo cover thing, the rubber little feet were originally in the wrong places, I moved them and problem solved!!). All in all I am very pleased and will take some more pictures as soon as it clears up here and I get a chance to wash her. :smile: Gas mileage so far is pretty good at 27mpg! This is just a quick little synopsis of my first few impressions of the car, hope everyone else that has taken delivery has had a good experience and to all those waiting good luck and be patient it is worth it!
-Mike (HB05MCS)

Old 08-29-2004 | 07:23 PM
Beanbag
1st Gear
The Beanbag has Landed

Well, the Maersk Wind avoided the pirates on the high seas and delivered my beanbag to the VPC at New Jersey on the 25th. Today, out of curiousity, I drove by the MINI dealership (MINI of Sterling - I live 5 miles from the dealership) just to check out if she was there... and she was!

And what a beauty she is... Pepper white with a black roof. The viper stripes need to be applied and whatever else they do to it before I take delivery, so sometime this week. I CAN'T WAIT! but I will...

So, I placed the order on July 8th, building Beanbag finished on the 10th of August. She sailed on the 17th. Arrived in New Jersey on the 25th and is now at the dealership as of the 28th. Not bad, in terms of time.

Hoping everyone takes delivery soon. Will post pictures...

Rene

Old 08-29-2004 | 07:37 PM
Del
2nd Gear
Great synopsis HB05MCS, love to hear about the cars coming in. Congrats, Beanbag, The excitement is getting too much.

2005LY, have you heard from Jarrod lately? Has Katie arrived yet? You said the EDD is today, so I guess she missed the storm.

Old 08-29-2004 | 08:02 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
When can we expect an EDD on OL? I was finally switched to "En Route" on OL but no EDD yet? I'm really jonesing now since I just saw 11 actual Cabrios at Nick Alexander in LA ready for immediate sale. Ouch!

Mike

Old 08-30-2004 | 05:42 AM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Del
2005LY, have you heard from Jarrod lately? Has Katie arrived yet? You said the EDD is today, so I guess she missed the storm.
The OL says she's at the Dealer, so I expect a call from him today at work. I'll ask about The Car too, see if he knows the others that came in...

Old 08-30-2004 | 06:11 AM
Belatu-Cadros
1st Gear
"At your MINI Dealer"

How am I suppossed to work today now?

Old 08-30-2004 | 06:12 AM
Del
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2005LY
The OL says she's at the Dealer, so I expect a call from him today at work. I'll ask about The Car too, see if he knows the others that came in...
Thanks, OL now has my EDD listed as today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Belatu-Cadros - you think you have it bad... I have a long boring meeting this morning and won't be able to use the phone til at least noon. Then if my MA does call this morning what am I to do.

Old 08-30-2004 | 06:43 AM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Yeah, she may be at the dealer, but I can't swing by and take pictures. Even if she's done early, I won't get her until Friday afternoon at the earliest. Sucks to be so far from the dealer!

ZenAudio, my EDD didn't show up until Katie was already at the VPC.

Old 08-30-2004 | 07:49 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
well, just checked the OL and my EDD now is listed for tom., 8/31 as opposed to 8/27 last week.... I hope it's okay going through the VDC since I read the sticky post on the VDC here at NAM.... still waiting.....

Old 08-30-2004 | 08:32 AM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
MINI Tracking Fever

All of you who are so close to getting your MINIs have caused the symptoms of my MTF (MINI Tracking Fever) to increase in severity! Have you heard about this grave disorder that literally takes over your life?? - -

Old 08-30-2004 | 08:52 AM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MountainGal
All of you who are so close to getting your MINIs have caused the symptoms of my MTF (MINI Tracking Fever) to increase in severity! Have you heard about this grave disorder that literally takes over your life?? - -
Yeah, my hubby hopes it gets better after the car has arrived.

Old 08-30-2004 | 09:30 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I have it...and I think I'm going to DIE! Ask MINI says In Transit, the live people there say they will no longer have any further information on the car. OL says Awaiting Transport. No info on my VIN at the WW site. Tropical storms hitting the SC coastline. Pictures of sinking ships on the NAM boards. My MA stating he won't have any further info until it is at the VPC....I feel dizzy....

Old 08-30-2004 | 09:33 AM
Del
2nd Gear
It is quite common I think. Unfortunately there are no known medications that will be of any use. However, some have reported that deep breathing and softly chanting "Let's Motor" (only while alone in a secluded spot) gives some relief.

Old 08-30-2004 | 10:19 AM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
MINI Tracking Fever

Originally Posted by 2005LY
Yeah, my hubby hopes it gets better after the car has arrived.
Getting behind the wheel of your own dear MINI is the only known cure! The numerous differing sources of info, sources of no info, and the various natural disasters - all add serious symptoms to an already powerful obsessive disorder!
- -

Old 08-30-2004 | 11:09 AM
John in Vancouver
2nd Gear
Gee, what do you mean obsessive? Just cause I got up at 3:00am to make sure the Freedom was still afloat isn't obsessive is it?

Old 08-30-2004 | 12:14 PM
Del
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by John in Vancouver
Gee, what do you mean obsessive? Just cause I got up at 3:00am to make sure the Freedom was still afloat isn't obsessive is it?
Of course not. It's just one caring person watching for the safety of sailors at sea. I commend you for your thoughfulness. :smile:

Old 08-30-2004 | 12:24 PM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Got an appointment for Saturday at 10 to get Katie.
:g rin::gri n:

Old 08-30-2004 | 12:27 PM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Del, I sent you a PM.

Old 08-30-2004 | 12:59 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
yeeeyyy:smile: :smile: :smile: just got a call from my MA saying that my car is there at the dealership!!!! SUPER!!!!! she said she'll be sending some pics over..... it would still be a couple of weeks til I see her since I'm having her shipped from Classic Mini in Ohio to California.... oh well... at least Casper's at the dealer....

Quick Reply: R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread