R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004 | 11:10 AM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
Sure.... Like we'll ever hear from him again!

Old 09-16-2004 | 12:22 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by roadeyes
My car has been at the VDC since August 24th waiting for an emergency brake handle. I'm wondering:

What happened to the handle in the first place?
Do they have to send the new part all the way from UK or Germany?
Does the part have to be shipped on a boat? Canoe?
Doesn't Mini use modern day shipping methods-planes for instance?
Once here, will it take another month to get that handle installed?

Of course, we are all "expecting this car any day".
The Slow Boat carrying oil and brake handles has been held up in Southampton because a piece of deck stripping is missing. The blokes sent a letter via the Pony Express to their people in Indonesia who, upon receipt, will plant a teak tree. Said tree should be ready to harvest "any day now"

Old 09-16-2004 | 03:19 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
The Slow Boat carrying oil and brake handles has been held up in Southampton because a piece of deck stripping is missing. The blokes sent a letter via the Pony Express to their people in Indonesia who, upon receipt, will plant a teak tree. Said tree should be ready to harvest "any day now"
At least I don't feel lonely in my wait.

Old 09-16-2004 | 03:30 PM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
OH I thought MINI was just sending parts via bottles as prt of an eco-friendly replacement parts sytem. They just find empty beer bottles and throw the parts off the cliffs and hope they pass Africa, South America, and then back up to the required north american VDC. Plus it saves the $5 that UPS/FedEx would charge!

Patrick

Old 09-16-2004 | 03:31 PM
regalic
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=miniwifey]No Way! I'm hoping to get my mini by my birthday - which is also the 26th! What Mini did you order?

I have it listed in my sig now

Old 09-16-2004 | 04:26 PM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=regalic]
Originally Posted by miniwifey
No Way! I'm hoping to get my mini by my birthday - which is also the 26th! What Mini did you order?

I have it listed in my sig now
Well, I guess coincidence stopped at the birthday.
I hope you get your Birthday present, and have a total blast motoring!!!!:smile:

Old 09-16-2004 | 06:12 PM
Del
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by asaulo1
just noticed that there's been a significant slow down in posts to our "august" thread... anyone else have taken delivery of their new babies? any news on your EDD's? let's hear it.... mine is presently on a truck on it's way from Classic Mini in Ohio to So. Cal. along with 3 other Mini's.... can't wait....... :smile:
The Car has been with me for 12 days now and I've put 1800 miles on it.

I sort of feel like a graduate on this thread, checking back now and then to reminisce, remembering the anxiety , impatience , and excitement of each step along the way.

One of the plesant surprises is the way the dash, and seemingly everything else, lights up at night. The center speedo and insturment cluster dresses up the interior more than any other car I have owned. The doorhandle lights are a nice touch I have not seen before and the color gives a warm glow the whole motoring experience.

Let's Motor

Old 09-16-2004 | 08:07 PM
Nemocabrio
Neutral
My EDD is Tomorrow. But the dealer says it still has not been released to transport for the truck ride to Houston, TX. Whats is the deal at VPC!!! I want my car

Just needed to vent.

Mike F.
MCC Hot Orange/Blue "Nemo"

Old 09-16-2004 | 08:40 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Del
One of the plesant surprises is the way the dash, and seemingly everything else, lights up at night. The center speedo and insturment cluster dresses up the interior more than any other car I have owned. The doorhandle lights are a nice touch I have not seen before and the color gives a warm glow the whole motoring experience. Let's Motor
Yeah, let's! Wow that sounds so cool. :smile: I'll have CR and chrome in my 05 MCS's interior so it should reflect nicely at nite. When I get my car. Around 9/30. If all goes right.... Jimbo

Old 09-17-2004 | 10:57 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Anyone hear anything lately about the ship coming into CA either today or tomorrow?

Patrick

Old 09-17-2004 | 11:31 AM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M
Anyone hear anything lately about the ship coming into CA either today or tomorrow?

Patrick
I just called NYK Shipping and according to the gal on the phone, the Hojin docked at 0600 this morning. She said they should be discharging the items, OUR MINIS, this afternoon. I would imagine then that they should be at the VDC by this afternoon or tomorrow...... Keep an eye on those OL statuses... they should be updating to AT Distribution Center any day now.... :smile: :smile:

Old 09-17-2004 | 11:31 AM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M

Patrick
Tcassa beat me!
Oh my - our ship has landed!!!!!! Wow! Thanks for the good news!

My mini is getting a look at the California sun for it's very first time... I hope he likes it, becuase he'll be getting allot of it!

Old 09-17-2004 | 11:36 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
AWESOME! I think I left either on the 26th or 28th so I should be on the ship too.

Now I just hope my MCS has a quick stop in Oxnard...

Patrick

Old 09-17-2004 | 11:36 AM
GLJones
3rd Gear
Well, My MCS is supposed to be at the VPC in Charleston right now even though the website still says In Route. It arrived in the port 3 days ago.

Now the EDD popped up as Sept 23rd. I am concerned that the delay may be longer as I keep seeing posts about everyone else's EDD passing and the cars are still at the VPC. Anyone know what's going on? Are they backlogged or out of some part they install on US Minis?

My Dealer thinks it will be in next week (on time) but all the posts here concern me.

Jerry
Orlando

Old 09-17-2004 | 11:51 AM
tcassa
2nd Gear
Check back in a week

Well, I am off on vacation in about an hour and a half..... By the time I get back online, My Mini Should be through the VDC and waiting for a truck to bring it home.... :smile: I hope everbody out there who's waiting on the Hojin get their babies very soon..... The wait is almost over....

Old 09-17-2004 | 01:23 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GLJones
Well, My MCS is supposed to be at the VPC in Charleston right now even though the website still says In Route. It arrived in the port 3 days ago.

Now the EDD popped up as Sept 23rd. I am concerned that the delay may be longer as I keep seeing posts about everyone else's EDD passing and the cars are still at the VPC. Anyone know what's going on? Are they backlogged or out of some part they install on US Minis?

My Dealer thinks it will be in next week (on time) but all the posts here concern me.

Jerry
Orlando
I spoke with the manager at MINI of St. Louis today, as mine is in Charleston and has been for over a week. He said that it looks like a few ships docked all at once and they are overloaded with cars to process - possibly a result of the modified schedules due to the hurricanes. As they have a fixed staff and no overtime (unions....), they are simply backed up.

That may not help, but it's the latest word I have.

Old 09-17-2004 | 01:34 PM
jabrash
Neutral
VPC is in Greenville

Hey GL Jones:
The VPC is actually in Greenville, SC, so after the Liberty unloaded the minis, they should have gone by rail to Greenville. Once the VPC says they are releasing the cars, my ma said that they have a window of 0 - 4 days to get it here. I live in Winston-Salem, NC and that is not that far from Greenville. I'm hoping to get my car by the middle of next week. Good luck getting yours to Florida. ---jason in winston

Old 09-17-2004 | 02:24 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Wow! The West Coast ship has finally arrived? Yippee!

Geez, my MINI's been enroute for weeks, and it's been driving me nuts. How much longer to go now? I've no idea. But, barring SNAFU's, it shouldn't be long now. Strangely, in many ways, despite the long wait, I'm hardly ready for this. I had to drop off my old lease car a week ago, and am now driving a rental until the new MINI shows up. Then, I still have to arrange a ride to Sacramento from Reno, so I can pick the new baby up. Turns out, that won't be so much trouble, as there are a few friends of mine as eager to check out the new car as I am!

I hope everything turns out ok for everyone. Good luck, folks. May the...er...FORCE be with you on this one.

P. S. Ok, so how much longer before I start getting all kinds of MINI junk in the mail from my dealer?

Old 09-17-2004 | 02:43 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyB
P. S. Ok, so how much longer before I start getting all kinds of MINI junk in the mail from my dealer?
If yours is like mine, you won't.

Old 09-17-2004 | 02:54 PM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BillyB
Wow! The West Coast ship has finally arrived? Yippee!

Geez, my MINI's been enroute for weeks, and it's been driving me nuts. How much longer to go now? I've no idea. But, barring SNAFU's, it shouldn't be long now. Strangely, in many ways, despite the long wait, I'm hardly ready for this. I had to drop off my old lease car a week ago, and am now driving a rental until the new MINI shows up. Then, I still have to arrange a ride to Sacramento from Reno, so I can pick the new baby up. Turns out, that won't be so much trouble, as there are a few friends of mine as eager to check out the new car as I am!
Did you order your car from Niello Mini? If so, I think our cars are ship buddies, and will be truck buddies too!!! I'm not sure how much longer it will take, I think it depends if our Mini's were damaged on the ship. Cross your fingers! :smile:

Old 09-17-2004 | 04:41 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tcassa
I just called NYK Shipping and according to the gal on the phone, the Hojin docked at 0600 this morning. She said they should be discharging the items, OUR MINIS, this afternoon. I would imagine then that they should be at the VDC by this afternoon or tomorrow...... Keep an eye on those OL statuses... they should be updating to AT Distribution Center any day now.... :smile: :smile:
YESSSSS! Finally something to talk about! Here's hoping that everyone's MINI is OK and not damaged, to hasten the delivery process. Jimbo

PS it's soooo nice to be part of a delivery thread that hasn't been hijacked

Old 09-17-2004 | 08:56 PM
jabrash
Neutral
Surprise Premature baby

GLJones and all:
For all you who have been languishing at the VPCs or wondering about your mini. Here's a positive story:
My mcs was on the Liberty that docked on Tuesday, Sept. 14, in Charleston. I know that it docked and sailed away according to the WW website, so I was pretty sure my car had been unloaded. But over the last 3 days, neither the WW site (cargo tracking) or the OL at Miniusa have updated the status. Everone says they are very slow to update.I figured a week to 10 days minimum from Charleston to the VPC in Greenville to Winston-Salem, my home and the only mini dealorship in NC. Since my schedule is tight in the afternoons next week, I stopped by the dealorship to see my ma and see if he had an EDD. He took me to his office, saying that the system had been down a lot, and then looked at his computer screen. He then said, "well hmm..... I think it's in." I said, "what in Greenville?", and he replied, "no.... here.". He said that two cars had come on a truck just a little while ago. So we went out in the parking lot, in the rain, and sure enough, there it was. So it got here in exactly three days (+/- a couple hours). Is that a record or what? Total time from order July 28 - Sept. 17. 52 days. Plus it was completed on Aug. 26, and didn't leave Southampton until Sept. 4. More days could have been shaved off here. Sorry West Coast waiters. You have a lot of great things in California and the west. But us easterners have all the Mini ports of entry. I pick up my car tomorrow and really look forward to finally driving it. ---

Old 09-17-2004 | 09:02 PM
GLJones
3rd Gear
That's good to hear. This morning my EDD was 9/23 and it still said in transit. Tonight it just changed to at VPC and the EDD changed to 9/20. Sounds like they got caught up. Congrats on yours arriving. I figure an extra day for my dealer options to be installed so perhaps Wednesday I will have it. YIPPIE!

I was on the Liberty too so our cars are shipmates. Maybe they can reunite at a Mini event. We have family in Spartanburg and Atlanta.

Jerry
Orlando

Old 09-17-2004 | 09:08 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GLJones
That's good to hear. This morning my EDD was 9/23 and it still said in transit. Tonight it just changed to at VPC and the EDD changed to 9/20. Sounds like they got caught up. Congrats on yours arriving. I figure an extra day for my dealer options to be installed so perhaps Wednesday I will have it. YIPPIE!

I was on the Liberty too so our cars are shipmates. Maybe they can reunite at a Mini event. We have family in Spartanburg and Atlanta.

Jerry
Orlando
I've usually had my OL update on friday nights also, but I am still at the distribution center with an EDD of 9/11....

Jabrash, it's just not fair, I am happy for you. I have to think at this point there must have been some damage done to my car that they are repairing.

Old 09-17-2004 | 09:28 PM
jabrash
Neutral
GlJones, O5DSMCS and all:
I just checked, after you mentioned updates on Friday and I finally had an EDD (after my mini was already delivered) of 9/19/04, which is Sunday. So, it got here 2 days before the estimate. O5DSMCS: I don't know that you can presume your car has been damaged just because of length of stay at the VPC. I remember right before I ordered my car, a truckload of minis had come in. It turned out that the VPC had been closed for 2 weeks (for vacation), so they were sending out all the backed up cars. Plus with all the Ivan contigency plans, I'm sure things got fouled up in spots. Good luck and let us know what you find out. ---jason

Quick Reply: R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread