R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004 | 09:42 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jabrash
GlJones, O5DSMCS and all:
I just checked, after you mentioned updates on Friday and I finally had an EDD (after my mini was already delivered) of 9/19/04, which is Sunday. So, it got here 2 days before the estimate. O5DSMCS: I don't know that you can presume your car has been damaged just because of length of stay at the VPC. I remember right before I ordered my car, a truckload of minis had come in. It turned out that the VPC had been closed for 2 weeks (for vacation), so they were sending out all the backed up cars. Plus with all the Ivan contigency plans, I'm sure things got fouled up in spots. Good luck and let us know what you find out. ---jason
I'm sure I'm overreacting, It's just so hard to wait...I'm sure Ivan has something to do with the delay.

Old 09-18-2004 | 08:03 AM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
Got Mine

OK, so its Saturday, and I picked it up Thursday. I've travelled 75 miles, but only have 50 on the speedometer - took the ferry across Long Island Sound. I drive home tomorrow from Connecticut to Virginia, and will give my first full review then. One thing I can say at this point is that the Purple Haze color is impossible to photograph. Its really even impossible to look at and see what color it is. Every head movement or light change shifts the color. Sometimes it looks exactly like Indy Blue, with not even a hint of purple. Sometimes the car looks like a two-tone, with Purple below the belt line and blue above. Sometimes the bumpers appear puple and the car blue. Very strange, but attractive. It does not cry out "purple" at all. I.e. no Barney syndrome.

Everything seems to work, no rattles or noises. I'll give a full review after my 600 mile trip tomorrow, and start scanning the owner's manual.

Old 09-18-2004 | 10:06 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Hey JD howzaboot some pics of that deadly PH and red/black interior combo? Jimbo

Old 09-18-2004 | 07:50 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
I'm still up in Connecticut, and not able to download my pictures, but I will do so tomorrow.

By the way, I was pleasantly surprised that with the Anthracite headliner and trim, the downtubes are anthracite. Even the cupholder mounting bracket is anthracite!
My daughter drove it to Hartford tonight, so at this point she has more miles on it than me....

Old 09-19-2004 | 10:17 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jabrash
GLJones and all:
My mcs was on the Liberty that docked on Tuesday, Sept. 14, in Charleston. Plus it was completed on Aug. 26, and didn't leave Southampton until Sept. 4. More days could have been shaved off here. Sorry West Coast waiters. You have a lot of great things in California and the west. But us easterners have all the Mini ports of entry. I pick up my car tomorrow and really look forward to finally driving it. ---
Congrats to you jabrash, but so much for the hurricane and "backed up at the VDC" excuses. My Mini was on the Freedom which ARRIVED in South Carolina BEFORE the Liberty left England. I've been sitting at the VDC allegedly awaiting an "oil change" for over 2 weeks. This is either incompetence or covering up some type of problem. I'm going over my MA and sales manager's head on this one. This is BULL$H*T!

Old 09-20-2004 | 07:18 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Not good! I thought my MINI would have landed at the Oxnard VPC by now since it left back in Aug. The OL still says en route. Anyone else that was supposed to be on the ship lnded Friday have the OL change for them?

Patrick

Old 09-20-2004 | 07:33 AM
GLJones
3rd Gear
For the third time in a week, the EDD changed on my MCS. First, it was 9/23...then it changed on Friday to 9/20, and last night, it updated to 9/19. Still says at VDC but it's sitting at the dealership. I have tomorrow off work and hope they can install the dealer options and prep it so I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I have no idea what would delay some of your cars at the VDC. Mine passed through in about 3-4 days. Something sounds fishy and I would get the dealer to make some phone calls if I were you. I would want to know what was wrong that they couldn't release it. Could be something cosmetic they had to repair but it could be some serious flaw they discovered in the inspection.

Did you see that guy that had no heating components installed in his car? Maybe they found a couple more?

Jerry

Old 09-20-2004 | 09:53 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GLJones
For the third time in a week, the EDD changed on my MCS. First, it was 9/23...then it changed on Friday to 9/20, and last night, it updated to 9/19. Still says at VDC but it's sitting at the dealership. I have tomorrow off work and hope they can install the dealer options and prep it so I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I have no idea what would delay some of your cars at the VDC. Mine passed through in about 3-4 days. Something sounds fishy and I would get the dealer to make some phone calls if I were you. I would want to know what was wrong that they couldn't release it. Could be something cosmetic they had to repair but it could be some serious flaw they discovered in the inspection.

Did you see that guy that had no heating components installed in his car? Maybe they found a couple more?

Jerry
Which VDC did yours come through? Was it in SC?

Old 09-20-2004 | 11:56 AM
GLJones
3rd Gear
Yes, the SC VDC. Just got off the phone with my dealer and the car is still on the truck. They will unload it around 5pm today and I should be able to pick it up on Wednesday. They have some dealer installed options they have to install.

Jerry

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:01 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M
Not good! I thought my MINI would have landed at the Oxnard VPC by now since it left back in Aug. The OL still says en route. Anyone else that was supposed to be on the ship lnded Friday have the OL change for them? Patrick
Mine came over on the Hojin which docked 9/17. I checked OL this AM, and no--but it's like so super-slow to update so dont sweat it (I was "awaiting transport" nearly a week at sea!) I'm just going to wait until t'row when I see my MA about finalizing options. Call yours; they have the most updated info, not the stoopid OL and even stoopider ASK-MINI. Jimbo

PS just checked. Still "En Route."

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:20 PM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Mine came over on the Hojin which docked 9/17. I checked OL this AM, and no--but it's like so super-slow to update so dont sweat it (I was "awaiting transport" nearly a week at sea!) I'm just going to wait until t'row when I see my MA about finalizing options. Call yours; they have the most updated info, not the stoopid OL and even stoopider ASK-MINI. Jimbo

Same for me, also on Hojin. I got off the phone with my MA 15 minutes ago. He was up to date. He had an EDD of this Friday!!! Sunday is my Birthday, so I am hoping for an awesome 30th birthday!!!

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:24 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Almost here man!

Wow. if you're this friday (and assuming El Diablo Rojo makes it thru VDC OK) I could literally have EDR 10/1: exactly what my MA said 3 months ago. Wow.

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:32 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I hope our cars have heaters....

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:42 PM
miniwifey
2nd Gear
I hope our cars have heaters....
No Kidding! After some of the stuff I've read... I already know I don't have the wheels I ordered. Mis-communication though, not the MA's fault. I told him as long as it shows up as a cabrio, I'm happy!

Old 09-20-2004 | 05:46 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Just heard from my MA and he said that after speaking with someone at the VDC, they promised to have it at the dealer by the end of the month (!!!!) My EDD was 9/11, so that is quite a delay. He stated that it was probably pulled and quality checked - whatever that means. He is keeping me updated pretty well, seems like they are in the dark as much as I am most of the time, but are really trying to get me any information they can.

Old 09-20-2004 | 06:17 PM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear

Whew! So I'm not alone on the OL!

Will call broker tomorrow and see if he can call the dealership.

Patrick

Old 09-20-2004 | 07:50 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Oxnard VDC

Dunno if anyone has seen this but I finally found it buried in a delivery thread on M2. Be patient, takes awhile to load. Enjoy. Jimbo

http://www2.autospies.com/article/in...4&categoryId=1

Old 09-20-2004 | 09:10 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Trannie Fluid

Originally Posted by 05DSMCS
Just heard from my MA and he said that after speaking with someone at the VDC, they promised to have it at the dealer by the end of the month (!!!!) My EDD was 9/11, so that is quite a delay. He stated that it was probably pulled and quality checked - whatever that means. He is keeping me updated pretty well, seems like they are in the dark as much as I am most of the time, but are really trying to get me any information they can.
The problem for many held up Mini's is a transmission fluid problem. Mine has apparently finally been released to the carrier after a two-week delay. Unfortunately, I've had more information on our cars than my dealer. If you are going to encourage tracking and such with your marketing plan, it might help to have the dealers at least as in the loop as us.

Good luck in getting your Mini,
Mike

Old 09-21-2004 | 04:02 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Hey, that's great news for us West Coast (sort of) folks that've been waiting on the Hojin (I wonder what that ship name translates to?) to unload to Oxnard. That means I might hear something by this weekend? Or am I getting my hopes up? (It's a whole week more, after all, isn't that enough time? Barring...ugh...problems?) I'm still driving a rental, for now, second week running, and I'm hoping that I'm not going to have to pay for a whole 'nother week, since I still have a new MINI (and registration, and insurance, and...?) to pay for.

Man, when I decided, oh so long ago (not that long, really, but sure FEELS like it!), to just GO FOR IT and order a MINI, I had no idea my carefully laid plans would be falling apart SO badly!

First, I figured that a new MINI, optioned out like I wanted, would only cost about $100 more a month than I was paying for my car I had at the time. Which is still mostly true, but...SOMEHOW additional costs are entering into the picture, and I'm not even driving the car yet! It makes me feel sort of silly, for thinking I could make this transition so easy. Hopefully, all will turn out well in the end, and I (and the rest of you, for that matter) will look back and LAUGH at this terrible time of waiting, and waiting, and rising costs, and...all the rest of it.

We will laugh, right? Right? Please, tell me we will laugh?!

Old 09-21-2004 | 05:43 AM
John in Vancouver
2nd Gear
I may be making my first payment BEFORE I get my car The wait has been frustrating, but I have to say my MA at Knauz has been super. My car is to go to the railyard possibly today and begin the trip to Portland at the weekend

Old 09-21-2004 | 07:55 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
The problem for many held up Mini's is a transmission fluid problem. Mine has apparently finally been released to the carrier after a two-week delay. Unfortunately, I've had more information on our cars than my dealer. If you are going to encourage tracking and such with your marketing plan, it might help to have the dealers at least as in the loop as us.

Good luck in getting your Mini,
Mike
So how do you get this info? Inside connections? My car is at the VDC two weeks today and the wife's car just had the check engine light turn on this morning....yikes...

Old 09-21-2004 | 08:52 AM
Sportty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M
Not good! I thought my MINI would have landed at the Oxnard VPC by now since it left back in Aug. The OL still says en route. Anyone else that was supposed to be on the ship lnded Friday have the OL change for them?

Patrick
My car was finished being built on Aug 10 and is coming through the California VPC and still has not made it. My advice is to ignore the OL for any accurate info once it leaves the factory. (It seems to be at least 2 or 3 days behind.)

Old 09-21-2004 | 08:53 AM
tonik
1st Gear
9/11 EDD Bad Luck

What is with the 9/11 EDD? I have been also waiting for release from the VPC. The last comment from the dealer mentioned "mudslides holding up the process". I would hope they would make an effort to cover up their lack of knowledge, instead of blatant BS. I do feel better knowing that others are having the same difficulty. I will be sure to post when/if I get the car to report any problems or unusual findings.

Best of luck to those in waiting.

Tonik.
PW/B MC

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:05 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tonik
What is with the 9/11 EDD? I have been also waiting for release from the VPC. The last comment from the dealer mentioned "mudslides holding up the process". I would hope they would make an effort to cover up their lack of knowledge, instead of blatant BS. I do feel better knowing that others are having the same difficulty. I will be sure to post when/if I get the car to report any problems or unusual findings.

Best of luck to those in waiting.

Tonik.
PW/B MC
Must be karma - it was a little forboding to see the 9/11 date as my EDD

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:07 AM
nbame786
3rd Gear
omg omg omg omg omg

i pick up my mcs at 4:00 today!!! AHHHHH

mcs/eb/ white roof/ sport/cold/ sunroof/ white wheels/ white mirrors/ electric blue dash....i'll post pictures as soon as i can!!!!

Quick Reply: R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread