R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004 | 01:07 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Contacted my MA today, he can't get my car on a truck until "maybe the end of the week." I have had enough waiting. I just booked a flight to St. Louis and I am flying out early tomorrow to pick up my car and drive it home. 1300 mile trip home, just enough to break it in.

Old 10-04-2004 | 09:25 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 05DSMCS
Contacted my MA today, he can't get my car on a truck until "maybe the end of the week." I have had enough waiting. I just booked a flight to St. Louis and I am flying out early tomorrow to pick up my car and drive it home. 1300 mile trip home, just enough to break it in.
You'll love the road trip. We just did 2000 back from Dallas to California and had an unbelievable time. Somehow managed to evade all state troopers !!!

Happy Trails,
Mike

Old 10-07-2004 | 02:49 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I did, just got back and what a thrill. This car is amazing. I don't know if I have the patience to do a full on review of the car, because I'm too busy "running errands." Great experience - I don't know if I have ever driven 14 hours non-stop before, but it didn't seem like it was that long. I love my car!!!

Old 10-07-2004 | 08:06 PM
GLJones
3rd Gear
Don't you just love the Xenon Headlights? They are the best headlights I have ever had on a car.

Jerry
Orlando

Old 10-07-2004 | 10:15 PM
sequence
6th Gear
05dsmcs I'm happy U finally got your car. Looks sharp. Aren't they a gas? Mine has 600 miles already just pootling aboot Eastern CO and the twisties west of town. Starting to push a little past 5K now, and to 6 by 1000 miles. I don't believe in 4500 to 1250: gotta vary the revs to establish good ring seal.

Averaging 27mpg with mixed motoring conditions so far. Also got my first door nick, probably debris from running too close to left-lane Jersey barriers. Parking is also a wonderful new experience.

And so far EFR has no squeaks, rattles, issues, and is turning heads everywhere. It's hard to fathom that MINI's are going on 3 build years and this car still draws people like a magnet. You'll see Motor on, Jimbo

PS here's EFR's website http://home.earthlink.net/~sequence/

Old 10-08-2004 | 12:04 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GLJones
Don't you just love the Xenon Headlights? They are the best headlights I have ever had on a car.

Jerry
Orlando
I know, in combination with the fog lights, I feel like the sun is pouring out of the front of my car, it's incredible.

Old 10-08-2004 | 01:13 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Xenons Rock!!!

Originally Posted by GLJones

Jerry
Orlando
I gotta admit I picked the Xenons for their looks, but their performance is phenomenal. I drove my F-150 for the first time in two weeks and had to check that the headlights were on they were so dim.

05DSMCS - Congratulations on finally getting your MINI. These things are unbelievable. I, too, don't have any time to do a write up because I'm too damn busy blasting around town.

Just bought a "I Have One and You Don't" shirt,

Life is good topless,
Mike

Old 10-09-2004 | 08:07 AM
John in Vancouver
2nd Gear
Clear Guard

Hi,
Have any of you who are enjoying your cars installed or considered installing a clear bra? I am thinking about it. There is so much construction going on around here that there is always something flying from a truck or from the road. Clear Guard sells a set that would cover the entire front for around $300 + installation, and I think you can get it through BMW.

John

Old 10-09-2004 | 09:34 AM
sequence
6th Gear
John, I had the dealer put a clear bra on the bonnet and they did OK, not great, but OK. Still it's good protection for the most vulnerable part, the lower bonnet. I wouldn't bother with the lower area 'cause it's plastic, but do get some light protectors. MiniMania's set (3M) cover xenons, TSI's, and fogs, about $49. About $800 to replace those Xenon units if damaged.

How's the car running? Mine's rock solid, averaging 27 mpg, and other than a slight pulsation when releasing the clutch in lower (1&2) gears, no issues. Jimbo

Old 10-09-2004 | 11:25 AM
John in Vancouver
2nd Gear
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the info. The car is running great and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It seems not everyone is impressed with the Mini though. At my work parking lot, a huge crow swooped down and dropped a very large "present" right in the middle of my bonnet

Cheers,
John

Old 10-10-2004 | 05:47 PM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by John in Vancouver
Have any of you who are enjoying your cars installed or considered installing a clear bra?
Katie has the clear bra and it's really nice for scraping those bug guts off. I'm glad our MA convinced us to get it.

BTW, about to turn 1700 miles. Rode passenger (in a MCS) in my first Auto-X experience today too! It was a blast. There were 4 MINIs running - mine was the only one watching .

Old 10-11-2004 | 03:28 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Man, what a dead board. No one has time to post now that they are all enjoying their cars. Good reason, I suppose.

Old 10-11-2004 | 06:44 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by John in Vancouver
Hi,Have any of you who are enjoying your cars installed or considered installing a clear bra? I am thinking about it. There is so much construction going on around here that there is always something flying from a truck or from the road. Clear Guard sells a set that would cover the entire front for around $300 + installation, and I think you can get it through BMW.John
John, I resisted, but when a friend picked up her all-PW MCS a week before me, a truck that passed her on I-10 N of Tucson threw something that 1. deep-pocked the bonnet left of the charger intake then 2. richocheted (sp?) off her windshield just below the mirror, leaving a nice big star crack. Car had less than 150 miles on it. I think her insurance is going to cover repairs. So yeah after that incident I figured it was worth it, if just for the lower bonnet and xenons. The front bumper and air dam I could care less about (except for the lites.)

So howzthat all-CR beastie of yours running? I've got 750 miles on EFR and other than a cold start issue--which Randy Webb said was normal in areas with high Ethanol content in winter gas--it's rock-solid averaging 27 mpg of spirited driving. Plus the gearbox has loosened up nicely; missed waaay to many shifts the first few hundred miles. Motor on! Jimbo

Old 10-12-2004 | 08:53 AM
John in Vancouver
2nd Gear
Hi Jimbo,

The red beast is doing just fine. I have a little over 300 miles now, and I am really enjoying driving it. I uploaded some pics to my gallery. I think I will go ahead and get the clear guard put on. The only hitch in the whole sale was the odometer form. I sent the original back to the dealer in Chicago, and of course, DMV needed it to register my car It came in this morning so I will have plates this afternoon. I really don't want to put a plate on the front, but I don't want a ticket either.

John

Old 10-14-2004 | 01:17 PM
2005LY
|
3rd Gear
Side stripes

Got my side stripes put on yesterday. I'll post a pic as soon as it stops raining. Did the Double Star from mightystripes. They look sweet. Very subtle.

Old 10-14-2004 | 07:39 PM
Del
2nd Gear
Man, what a dead board. No one has time to post now that they are all enjoying their cars. Good reason, I suppose.
That's about right. I picked up The Car on September 3rd and now have 5200 miles on it and getting a little over 34 mpg. Most of my driving is interstate with light traffic. It is the tightest car I've ever owned and the HK sound system is fantastic. It makes my daily commute very enjoyable.

Old 10-15-2004 | 08:10 AM
Cadbury
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Del
That's about right. I picked up The Car on September 3rd and now have 5200 miles on it and getting a little over 34 mpg. Most of my driving is interstate with light traffic. It is the tightest car I've ever owned and the HK sound system is fantastic. It makes my daily commute very enjoyable.
34mpg!! how do you do that??
no air,
watching speed??

I haven't been able to do better that 25mpg, and that's the same mileage as my 91 Accord!!

Old 10-15-2004 | 09:26 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
WOW I get maybe 22-23mpg... then again air always on and LA traffic does that.

Old 10-15-2004 | 10:23 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I haven't been tracking mine for a while. On my LONG trip home with the car, I averaged around 25, but that was with a brand new engine, lots of hills, and an average speed of around 75 to 80, so not really ideal for sipping fuel. To be honest, I haven't been concerned about it, because as far as bang for the buck so far, I could be getting 6 mpg and it would still be worth it.

Old 10-15-2004 | 10:24 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Anyone think the distance that you need to be from the car to open it with the remote is really short? I practically have to be within 6 feet of my car to unlock it. Is that normal?

Old 10-15-2004 | 11:08 AM
mlebeau
4th Gear
You guys are all forgetting - Del has a Cooper, while you guys have Cooper S's. Big diff in mileage.

-mike

Old 10-15-2004 | 01:35 PM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Anyone think the distance that you need to be from the car to open it with the remote is really short? I practically have to be within 6 feet of my car to unlock it. Is that normal?
Funny you should mention that! I was in the garage today and 8 spaces down and across the middle access way I was able to open the car on a clear shot.

Old 10-15-2004 | 04:26 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M
Funny you should mention that! I was in the garage today and 8 spaces down and across the middle access way I was able to open the car on a clear shot.
Interesting, I'll have to use my wife's key to see if it's signal is just as weak as mine.

On a side note, I just have to say that the Anthracite/Black Leather/Anthracite headliner combo is absolutely beautiful. I have always thought the interior of the MINIs were a bit overdesigned, and this combination really mutes that and gives it a high class feel. The chrome interior would look good too, but I have heard from a couple of people that it is annoying when the sun catches the chrome bits and reflects it into your eyes, so maybe it's better I didn't end up ordering that option in time.

Old 10-16-2004 | 09:59 AM
sequence
6th Gear
On my first extended road trip all over western CO (about 1,000 miles) I averaged just under 32 mpg with my S, including some very spirited post-break-in driving up and down mountain passes and mesas. Very impressed. And it seems to love the Shell V-Power more than any other fuel....

The only issue I have with this car are cold weather starts, they are difficult TSTL. However, this seems to be the case across the board with other new owners' cars, and I know that performance cars in general suffer from this problem. And my goal is to get thru the run-craps as fast as possible, so's I can put some real tires on (as well as a stiffer sway bar.) Jimbo

PS I think the remote key depends on angles: I can unlock/lock my car from my 2nd floor bedroom window 50 ft away, but sometimes I can't in excess of 6 feet or so, ground level. Weird.

Old 10-16-2004 | 10:55 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
You lucky dog being out of break-in. I've had the MINI for 2 weeks as of 30 min from now and I JUST passed 800 miles. Of course once that JCW kit gets on in a few weeks I'll have to do it all over again.

Quick Reply: R50/53 August 2004 Official Tracking Thread