R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My MCS inspires bizzare statements, brilliant!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004 | 05:27 AM
sbeck
1st Gear
I've had mine called a Clown Car, an aircraft chock, a BMW wannabe, and had fellow workers offer to open up the back of their van so I could park. I get my revenge everyone wants to ride with me when we go to lunch. The best one I've heard so far was a reference to a large SUV as the box the MINI came in.

Old 07-29-2004 | 05:54 AM
Trippy
Banned
I give everyone the peace sign instead of waving.

There's a guy in my neighborhood that drives a Hummer.

We give each other the peace sign everytime we pass.
It's a great mood lifter early in the morning.

Old 07-29-2004 | 06:16 AM
ministrone
2nd Gear
most asked question - "Does that thing get good gas mileage?"
-my reply- "not the way I drive it!"

"Where's the dealer, I'd like to test drive one"
-my reply- "Don't test drive it unless you're ready to buy it, 'cause once you do you're ruined for anything else."

gas pump attendant - "I can't believe it holds that much gas!"

cute girl at work- "it's sooooo cool, can I have a ride?"

wife - "no girls allowed in your car or you're dead"

MINI technician looking at my tires - "I see SOMEbody's been going around corners rather fast"

friends Sis-in law watching us looking at our MINIs after washing them - "Is that all you guys do? Sit there and look at them?" :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 07-29-2004 | 06:41 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
Waiting at a stop light. Big, old LTD pulls up and stops in the next lane. All the windows on the rusted out POS were down. Adult in the front seat (presumably the father) and three kids in the back seat (ages something like 7-10). Dad yells, LOUD "hey kids, lookit the faggitmobile!" Kids all lean over to the open window nearest me and yell "***, faggit," ETC (Dad now laughing his head off) until the light changes and I motor away. Now there's a fine upstanding American role model!
As a father I try to keep my kid (4yo) educated and polite (a skill that has been lost in recent years) My 4 yo always says please, thank you and excuse me. It is a tragedy that a parent would talk this way in front of his kids.

Hey wait a minute:

"Kids all lean over to the open window nearest me "

This means that they were not buckled in the back seat. There is a seat belt law in most states for kids. I would have called the cops right there from the cell and reported them. I would have followed them in my ****** mobile and watched him get pulled over and get 3 tickets! Cops hate people who dont buckle up their kids.

Old 07-29-2004 | 07:01 AM
ministrone
2nd Gear
Jerks like that are always a good argument for birth control.

Old 07-29-2004 | 09:39 AM
dlsmini
2nd Gear
These two just about made me fall out of my chair:

cute girl at work- "it's sooooo cool, can I have a ride?"

wife - "no girls allowed in your car or you're dead"

Thanks for sharing Ministrone!

Old 07-29-2004 | 10:55 AM
427Cobra
2nd Gear
RE:Faggit Mobile

Oh meee... Your storie started to sound just like one of my experiences in the Cobra, except the very overweight lady driving says to me (as we're stopped at a light). "I Bet My Car Is Faster' Yours"! I look at her and the car and said "I Don't Think So". And she replied "Wanna Bet"? So I told her, "OK, How About 10 bucks"? Then she said, "Don't have Much Confidence Do You"! I'd based my 10 buck amount on the car and driver not anything to do with me. Yes, there was about 6 kids in the back with all the windows down.

Sorry, the Cobra has a very warmed over 302. 375 HP and 2,000 pounds can eat most anything. Vipers, ZO6's... and yes, I'd done my share of Ricers. There was 2 different body style Cobra's the 427 car and 289 cars. There was about 8 different engines from 260 ci (V-8) up Carol put in them. I sometimes say a little prayer before backing out of the drive, "Lord, Please Don't Let Anyone Wanna Race Me Today". Last time out I even let a Honda and a Audi burn me from a light.... I never bipped the gas.

Off to the beach! (In the Beetle)

Have a good weekend guys.

Mike

Old 07-29-2004 | 12:45 PM
CTMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 427Cobra
Off to the beach! (In the Beetle)

Have a good weekend guys.

Mike
Wait:
You have a Cobra kit-car AND a three-day weekend??
(sobbing with head on desk I'll still be at tomorrow)

Old 07-29-2004 | 12:56 PM
CTMINI
2nd Gear
(pulling self together)

Ok, so I have heard a bunch of great lines from people and I think the car has actually helped me out a few times on the dating scene, but one thing that always made me psyched was this one kid I used to drive by every day during the school year. I don't know how old this little guy was, but it's always him and three girls at this bus stop and they're at the age when the girls are all taller than the guys so I'd guess maybe 14? Anyway, the first time I drove by the kid started jumping up and down and pointing so I waved to him and then every day after that when I drove by he'd give me the old "Honk your horn" fist pump that you give truckers. Every day I'd honk as I went past and every day it would get this kid fired up.
That's cool.

Old 07-29-2004 | 01:10 PM
zfxr
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
Waiting at a stop light. Big, old LTD pulls up and stops in the next lane. All the windows on the rusted out POS were down. Adult in the front seat (presumably the father) and three kids in the back seat (ages something like 7-10). Dad yells, LOUD "hey kids, lookit the faggitmobile!" Kids all lean over to the open window nearest me and yell "***, faggit," ETC (Dad now laughing his head off) until the light changes and I motor away. Now there's a fine upstanding American role model!
I'm thinking of one quote at the moment-
"O'Doyle rules!"
...and an old LTD driving off a cliff into a quarry

I still need to "break in" my Mini the proper way Unfourtunately, were I'm working at now, driving a Mini actually hurts the dating opportunities. Most members of the opposite sex think it's cute but...
  • Dangerous
  • Uncomfortable (without actually riding in one)
  • Impractical (so much so I fit a fully laundry basket, 1 weeks groceries, cooler, 2 record crates, AND a passenger in it last week while getting over 30MPG going 80 on a highway running automatic air-con listening to XM radio )

Old 07-29-2004 | 01:42 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by zfxr
I still need to "break in" my Mini the proper way Unfourtunately, were I'm working at now, driving a Mini actually hurts the dating opportunities. Most members of the opposite sex think it's cute but...
  • Dangerous
  • Uncomfortable (without actually riding in one)
  • Impractical (so much so I fit a fully laundry basket, 1 weeks groceries, cooler, 2 record crates, AND a passenger in it last week while getting over 30MPG going 80 on a highway running automatic air-con listening to XM radio )
Dangerous #5 safest in the world
Uncomfortable (without actually riding in one) well isn't that ingorance at it's finest
Impractical (so much so I fit a fully laundry basket, 1 weeks groceries, cooler, 2 record crates, AND a passenger in it last week while getting over 30MPG going 80 on a highway running automatic air-con listening to XM radio ) AWSOME!!!!

I had these two Milasian young ladies come over to me at a car show...they could not speak english really well...but they were able to say..."this you mini coopa"
they were really nice and then asked to sit in it...and take pictures with it...and take pictures with me...LOL...it was hilarious....this went on for a good half hour...

Old 07-29-2004 | 01:52 PM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
"What kinda car is that"....

If you feel like talking..."Mini Cooper"...
If not, "BMW".

Old 07-29-2004 | 03:11 PM
rg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 427Cobra
I sometimes say a little prayer before backing out of the drive, "Lord, Please Don't Let Anyone Wanna Race Me Today". Last time out I even let a Honda and a Audi burn me from a light.... I never bipped the gas.
it's not always how fast you are, as much as how fast you look! sometimes it's better to watch them leave you in the dust as you casually take off.

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:10 PM
maddog2020
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nightowl
(correct me if I'm wrong) but during "the war" (I'm lost on specifics) the enemy would cut off one of the fingers of captured French archers and as a sign of defiance those still fighting would raise their two-bow pulling fingers....

And isn't it now the English equivilant of giving the finger?
Very close.

The story goes that during the battle of Agincourt (in 1415, in the 100 years war), the English longbowmen were wreaking havoc with the French infantry. In fact English arrows were not very effective against the French steel plated armor, but that's another story. Anyway, the story goes that when the French captured an English soldier they would cut off the index and middle fingers of the soldier's right hand so that they couldn't draw a bow (apparently being left handed in the 1400's was considered a sign of the occult and inevitably led to burning at the stake). So, continuing the story, whenever a free English soldier saw a Frenchman he would wave the two fingers of his right hand at him in a gesture meant literally to say (I still have my fingers, so I'm going to shoot you).

As for how this sign differs from the peace sign made famous by Winston Churchill on VE (Victory in Europe in case you didn't know) day at the end of the 2nd world war. In fact this sign doesn't exactly mean peace, it originally meant Victory (hence the V shape), but the more peaceful minded amongst us took victory to mean the start of peace.

The peace sign involves holding up the index and middle fingers of either hand in a V shape with your PALM toward the person you are making the sign to. The other, less polite version (now taken to mean "go forth and multiply" - or words to that effect) is given by holding up the index and middle fingers of either hand in a V shape with the BACK of your hand towards your intended target.

So, as you see, the unititiated could easily use the wrong gesture quite inadvertantly.

Maddog

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:16 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
I've finally given up:

Interested Bystander (IB), "Whut kinda mileage?"

UJ, "'bout a hunnrud."

IB, "Wow, how fast willit go?"

UJ, "'bout two hunnrud."

IB, "WOW! Whut Kinda car IS it?"

UJ, "It's a Caddy."

IB, "NAW - Is not!"

UJ, "Yep, you've seen the commercials - It's the little Caddy that ziggs . . ."

IB, "Really!?!?"

And it goes on and on . . .

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:21 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maddog2020
The other, less polite version (now taken to mean "go forth and multiply" - or words to that effect) is given by holding up the index and middle fingers of either hand in a V shape with the BACK of your hand towards your intended target.

So, as you see, the unititiated could easily use the wrong gesture quite inadvertantly.

Hmmm. When driving down the road and I throw a peace sign out my window it's usually with the back of my hand since it is most ergenomically quick to do so. Image this. Left hand at 10 O'clock position on steering wheel. Catch glimpse of MINI going down the road. Move hand quickly to window with index and middle fingers extended. Note, how the hand naturally doesn't want to turn around and expose the palm surface, rather it's pointing its backside out.

I'm wondering if this is one of those inside signs...Where the people who know what it's for can signal to a third person what they truely feel about the person they're signing at, while leacing the person signed feel good about receiving what they presume is the peace sign not the FU sign.

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:28 PM
maddog2020
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
I'm wondering if this is one of those inside signs...Where the people who know what it's for can signal to a third person what they truely feel about the person they're signing at, while leacing the person signed feel good about receiving what they presume is the peace sign not the FU sign.
I don't think so. I think you'll find quite a few people who would be a little disappointed to see what they would perceive as a very unfriendly reaction from someone they waved at.

I don't think it's too hard to rotate your hand outwards, but if this troubles you, then try using your right hand accross your body.....

Old 07-29-2004 | 04:59 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
From someone at work:

"Oh, you got a "My First BMW!"

Grr... ('course, he has a Civic... Nuff said! )

-Paul!
LOL. I'm sure you didn't like hearing that, but it's funny. Right up there with Sports Utility Miata.

Old 07-29-2004 | 05:24 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Having put my $500 deposit down close to 10 months before the first mini would touch the New Jersey shore ,I had lots of time to bore my co-workers to death with "tales o mini"The guy next to me is a harley/muscle car/gun/fanatic,and he started calling it"the clown car".recently I had made a bumper sticker that says:

you have just been smoked by a
CLOWN CAR

I have it on my bullitin board ,cause I'm not sure I have the stones to actually put it on and suffer the rage of every SUV ********* that I happen to pass.I made one for yucca too and he had the brilliant idea to get some magnetic sign material so I can put it on and take it off at will,haven't done it yet,but I will

Old 07-29-2004 | 07:31 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
Mom's Say it best...

After riding in the back-seat of my Mini for about 10 minutes, my mom described the rear accomodations as "Sitting on a cement park bench in an earthquake" I kid you not...

Old 07-29-2004 | 07:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by holdenontoit
recently I had made a bumper sticker that says:

you have just been smoked by a
CLOWN CAR

I have it on my bullitin board ,cause I'm not sure I have the stones to actually put it on and suffer the rage of every SUV ********* that I happen to pass.I made one for yucca too and he had the brilliant idea to get some magnetic sign material so I can put it on and take it off at will,haven't done it yet,but I will
I saw the magnet Yucca made from your bumper sticker...and guess what? It's proudly displayed on his......REFRIGERATOR!

Clo/Wanda

Old 07-29-2004 | 08:59 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rg
If i was driving an Escalade with children in the back i'd be looking for strange too!!

I live in an area where there are quite a few elderly folks, i get comments from them ALL THE TIME, including those with reminices(sp?) about their younger days and original MINIs.

Got stopped once by a 40something couple once as i was getting out of my MINI. She commented on it and said how cute it was and that her husband won't let her have one cause he says they haven't been out long and aren't built by a reputable company. And then she asks "who builds those anyway" with this I know the answer but tell me anyway look. I tell her it's the same company that makes that 7 series that you just got out of! Her husband goes ballistic...BMW would never make a piece of crap like that, yadda yadda. I told him to ask his Beemer dealer or look it up online, but be prepared to get that checkbook out for the misses!!
That's Awesome!!!

Old 07-29-2004 | 09:25 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Flagged down by guy on bicycle in the middle of the road....

"Excuse me can I ask you how much your car costs? My friend and I have been arguing about how much these cost."

Sitting at a stop light next to a old Nissan maxima filled with hispanic guys...
"Hey homes that is a SWEET ride Man!" "What size of wheels you got on that thing homes?" "Man whachoo got in that thing." "Man I bet that thing is pretty fast, huh?"

Sitting at a stop light next to pretty cherry El Camino driven by a 60+ Year old hispanic man...
"What kind of car is that, its pretty sweet?" I love those wheels (white s-lites). How much that thing cost you?"

Sitting at a stop light next to a early 90's Ford Bronco filled with guys. My music was blaring but it just happed to be going to the next track when I hear...

"Chiiick, Caaar!" in a rather disgusted tone

Old 07-29-2004 | 09:51 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Unfortunately, I now get more interested comments on my

daily driver '05 Chrysler 300 Touring than I ever got on the Mini....2 to 1!

I hate it when that happens!

Old 07-31-2004 | 05:08 AM
kirk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
I've gotten a bunch of "cute" and "nice car" comments and the "how do you fit in it" (I'm 6'4"). The best one is a guy who works with my dad told him "I bet you are glad you have that little car now that gas prices are so high." Not a very funny comment by itself but we also drive a Honda Insight. My dad finally discovered he was talking about the MINI and then promptly told him "well we also drive..."
I'm really curious about your Insight. When I first fell in love with the Mini, I also thought I should consider buying the Insight because of the gas mileage. Our Honda dealer here didn't even have one on the lot, so I never got a look at one. How does it compare to the Mini, since you have driven both?

Quick Reply: R50/53 My MCS inspires bizzare statements, brilliant!