R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Big Grin

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's been 2 days now, and I can't stop smiling! Brooksie, our new Cooper, is so much fun! I'm amazed by how many people actually know what I'm driving. I parked it out front at work, and half the people who walked in had to come back and talk to me about her. My rideshare was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of switches, but she liked the BIG speedo and the big sunroof. The electric windows and locks have all the convenient features that I've come to expect from only the much more expensive class of car. This car is the benchmark from now on!

I'm number 90 at Long Beach MINI, got my shirt and mints. I can't thank them enough for how well we were treated there. I understand they're one of the top MINI dealers by volume, and hell, they're tops with me on everything. The leather seats are quite comfortable, and as the break-in period is in progress, I'm learning the ins & outs of the CVT. I was tempted by the 5-speed, but even tho my wife and I both use a stick without qualms, ( she learned on a 998 Morris-Cooper! ), we have done enough commuting on hills and in SoCal freeway traffic to appreciate a well-designed automatic. When the 1200 miles are up, I'll start using the manual option. I highly recommend the automatic air-conditioning if you live in the warmer climes. It's excellent and adds to a comfortable driving experience. I like the paddle radio controls on the back of the steering wheel - I don't have to reach at all!!

The overall build quality is excellent, as a BMW product should be. I must say, with eons of experience with English cars from the 1960's thru the 80's, I was alittle nervous about that. Carroll Shelby, I believe, once described Traditional English Craftsmanship as " three winos under a bridge" , ( AC ), and too many times Lucas and BL's sometimes questionable out-sourcing let me down at critical times. Not that I don't mind wrenching on old Minis, but Thank God for true quality control!

The driving is truly what go-carts can be when they grow up. I'm not even pushing Brooksie, and it's hard to keep under 80 on the Interstate! The cornering brings back the BIG GRIN I had when I first drove an Austin Cooper S back in the day. I'm over the days when acceleration was ALL, and frankly, I'm more interested in kicking some rice-rocket's *** in a corner. This car was born for that! I can only imagine how many moving violations I could rack up in a Cooper S. I'm a little leary about forced induction, tho, so I'll stick with my normally aspirated Cooper.

Road trip this week-end! Don't have it all planned out, but say - Anybody out there in San Diego or LA doing the same? Let's meet somewhere!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 06-14-2002, 09:09 AM
bagpiper
2nd Gear
Rob... be careful man... that big grin can get you in trouble... I've had my mini since the 29th of March, and every time I get home I've got that BIG GRIN too..my wife is starting to wonder what's going on while I'm out motoring.....

Old 06-14-2002, 11:22 AM
MiniDreaming
1st Gear
Congrats! Another happy Mini owner!

Old 06-14-2002, 12:24 PM
jeanna
2nd Gear
Rob,

I'm new to the board, but congrats on your new Brooksie! What color did you get? Have fun and be safe! Motor On!

Jeanna

Old 06-14-2002, 06:29 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear

Motor On!!

Old 06-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
Hey mini-g - I'm up in Mira Mesa myself. There's some guy in a blue Cooper S I've seen up this way once. I'm open to a meet somewheres! Let me know wot's up! I'm gonna have a frozen grin on my face, you'll recognize me right away!

Old 06-14-2002, 08:04 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
check your private messages my BRG friend!!

Old 06-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
Say folks, Pics of Brooksie now available on page 7 of Member's MINIs photo gallery. Ta for now........

BCNU,
Rob in Dago