R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004 | 12:23 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
wow apple we are really close on those prod numbers, that is cool! I havent recieved anything yet!? but thats ok as long as my mini eventually gets here! I guess i should start calling some more! Any one know the reps youve talked to? I talked to Dan today he was really cool!

Old 08-26-2004 | 12:24 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Quote from yasodic's PM: "(based on production numbers) we are only 153 apart!! so most likely they should run together!! we will be changing diapers at the same time haha! I hope you find out that yours is started!!"

CALLING ALL EXPERTS!! Does anyone know if the cars are produced in chronological order with respect to the production number?? If so, Mine may have started today as well!!!!!!!!!

I will pose this question to an ask mini rep... right now! I shall report back in a few minutes!

Patrick

Old 08-26-2004 | 12:38 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
I think my order went in on July 26. That's the day my MA emailed me with my production order.

Lois

Old 08-26-2004 | 05:34 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
My MINI went into production already!!! It'll be done 9/3!

Old 08-26-2004 | 05:41 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
whooo hooo congrats wiz!!! Any word on those production #s apple? This whole thing was like a reality check, i called my credit union to get financing today, i kept thinking ohhh i have like 2 months, now its already being built!! anyone need a 2000 jetta?

Old 08-26-2004 | 07:20 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
The guy told me that they produce the cars one after the other in order by production number. THe thing is, he told me that I am still going to be in production from the 12th to the 18th. He said that most likely, you were assigned a chassis number but the car is not yet rolling down the line, but will be soon.

I keep hearing different twists to all of this, but it seems plausible to me. Yasodic, next time you call MINI, ask them the date that they estimate your car to be completed and see how that looks in comparison. Im still thrilled that production will be done week 38 rather than 39 as originally stated.

I have a small project to do but i will try to get around to updating the table before i go to bed!

Patrick

Old 08-26-2004 | 07:58 PM
one1bmwnut
1st Gear
Ok, this is driving (no pun intended) me crazy - the waiting!

I'm production # 7483xxx

Does anyone know how many MINIs are completed each day?????

I'm thinking that since there are a number of people in the #748xxxx production range, that I can't be too far behind.

Yes, I've been told that my production week is #38 and expect the MINI S convertible to be completed between the 13-17th of Sept (I don't have a name yet - is that important?) - at least that's what I was told last week.

I called today and the gentleman tells me that I'm now in "lot #112" but he doesn't know for sure when the production of my car will begin -

So, of course, I plan on calling back tomorrow and asking someone else to hopefully get a more specific answer - "lot #112" - I have no idea.

Again, anyone know how many MINIs come off the factory line each day?

Old 08-26-2004 | 08:06 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
I'm prod #7493XXX & am being told "any day now" with a completion by week 37.
So there's no way they go in order by prod #. I personally think they run lots of Ss, MCs, & Cabrios. It makes sense to do a certain type all at once. Especially Cabrios since they have the rag top. I have no idea how many MINIs come off the production line on any given day. Are we going crazy yet

Lois

Old 08-26-2004 | 08:46 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
ya this is nuts... I think Claire might be smooshed between a few cabrios, Ones, Coopers, and other S's. They guy said they were built in production number order... so either they are all smooshed in, in random order, OR (more likely) the allocation of production numbers to dealers are broken down so that 7490000 through 7490600 run at once...

I read that they can do about 600 per day at the factory...

everyone confused now? Good.
Look for the table to be updated tomorrow morning tired

Patrick

Old 08-26-2004 | 09:08 PM
CGSHawkflyer
2nd Gear
production number

Well lets see I read somewhere that the total world production for this year would be on the order of 140,000. the US will get between 25,000 and 30,000 of those, depending on where you look. We know they take a month off to retool every year. If you subtract weekends and let's say 11 holidays, that leaves about 220 days in a good year (jump in any time Apple, I did not major in math).

Anyway a little math should reveal about 636 cars per day. Now I thnk that number can't be right. It's just too high. But thats the way the math breaks out. Now if you assume they work weekends, that would add about 104 days, making the production more like 432 per day. Still seems too high to me. I have been told it takes about 5 days to build one car.

In any case I know mine will get built at some point. It just seems to me that with all the automation in the world today, the website could be updated with current info a lot more often, and in finer detail than "on order", "in production" "in route" and "its here". They should put webcams on the line and scroll the VINs across the screen as the car passes by. In Brittin there are no privacy concerns about this kind of thing as there are here.

Drive Safe
Phil

Originally Posted by AppleCello
ya this is nuts... I think Claire might be smooshed between a few cabrios, Ones, Coopers, and other S's. They guy said they were built in production number order... so either they are all smooshed in, in random order, OR (more likely) the allocation of production numbers to dealers are broken down so that 7490000 through 7490600 run at once...

I read that they can do about 600 per day at the factory...

everyone confused now? Good.
Look for the table to be updated tomorrow morning tired

Patrick

Old 08-26-2004 | 09:40 PM
one1bmwnut
1st Gear
According to the MINIUSA web site - 3500 cars per week are produced at the plant in the UK.....

It also states that recent contracts with the employees allow a 24hr/7day a week work schedule.....

Hmmm, I feel better.........:smile: Click on "follow me" and then "go on" and then "key facts" at the following link:

http://www.mini.com/COM/en/themini/m.../overview.html

Old 08-26-2004 | 10:17 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
cool site !!

hey thanks for the link bmwnut, I had not run across that site yet. I saw a ly/b mcs today driving through the parking lot, man just made the wait that much harder! HA! Hey Apple, the finish date for my mcs is sept 6th at least thats what ask mini told me!

Old 08-27-2004 | 05:50 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Well Im lost. I dont know when mine will be produced now. I like the idea about real-time updates and webcams! Maybe we can arrange to take a tour of the plant and while inside, implement this system (shh! dont tell MINI!)

Old 08-27-2004 | 09:23 AM
McCasper
1st Gear
Well I broke down and called ask-mini to see if by some happy chance my build date moved up. No luck, I am confirmed for production to be completed by Sept 13th. On the good side, all of my spec changes are in their system .

Looks like it will be top down fall here in Central Florida!

Old 08-27-2004 | 10:53 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
ASk-MINI

Ok - after my "Does this really help" post you'll be wondering why I would call Ask-MINI....

I want to know up to what point can I no longer modify my order. I will not ask where I am in the que !

But...is there a trick to getting through to them? All I get is a fast busy.

Peter....patiently waiting in Denver

Old 08-27-2004 | 11:44 AM
MediocreFred
1st Gear
Don't mean to nitpick, but, my MINI is a LY/W and not an LY/B!

Thanks,
MediocreFred.

Old 08-27-2004 | 12:04 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Since the subject of list corrections has come up

Under Khodabear -

Color is CB/Blue Type is MCSC Status is On Order - projected build is Week 40

Peter

in

Denver

Old 08-27-2004 | 12:37 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Old 08-27-2004 | 01:16 PM
DiamondRG
1st Gear
Ask MINI

Khodabear,
Are you dialing 1-866 or 1-800. For a while I was dialing 1-800 and kept getting a fast busy signal, then realized I was dialing the wrong number. I dialed 1-866-275-6464 and got right though.
Randy

Old 08-27-2004 | 01:42 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DiamondRG
Khodabear,
Are you dialing 1-866 or 1-800. For a while I was dialing 1-800 and kept getting a fast busy signal, then realized I was dialing the wrong number. I dialed 1-866-275-6464 and got right though.
Randy
Me too And some man would answer. He probably got tired of a million MINIacs calling him & got rid of the #.

Lois

Old 08-27-2004 | 05:59 PM
one1bmwnut
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AppleCello
Well Im lost. I dont know when mine will be produced now.
The confustion continues. I called MINI again today - 3rd time this week just to see what I would be told THIS time......
:smile:
Originally, I was told week #38. Then, second call this week I was told I am a part of "lot #112" - still yet to be determined what that really means......

Now, this afternoon, I'm told, "Well, you were given production week #38 as a preliminary estimate (meaning: as soon as my order was submitted, I was given an estimated build week which could and probably would change."

So, in reality, my ACTUAL production week will likely be designated early next week. Which, according to the nice MINI spokesperson, means the car could actually start being built any day now... or maybe in about a week....so, just keep checking back."

It's crazy. You wold think it would drive me even more crazy, but I guess it's just part of the lunacy if you choose to call the crazy help number three times a week. Yea, I'm getting what I deserve.

However, bottom line is I'm a week closer than I was Monday.... even though I still don't know how close.....:smile:

Waiting....... patiently??????

Old 08-27-2004 | 07:03 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DiamondRG
Khodabear,
Randy
Oh...sure...keep the right number from the new kid...

Ok - I suppose dialing the right number would help!

Peter - wondering when people will cease to call it "Dialing" -- in Denver

Old 08-27-2004 | 07:57 PM
donhelix
1st Gear
Week 36 Must Be Here!

Called today and I'm scheduled for production this Monday with completion by Friday, Sept. 3.

Production number 7482XXX MCS :smile:

Then from England to some port in the US, then Ohio then San Diego.........

Old 08-28-2004 | 07:32 AM
CGSHawkflyer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by one1bmwnut
The confustion continues. I called MINI again today - 3rd time this week just to see what I would be told THIS time......
:smile:
Originally, I was told week #38. Then, second call this week I was told I am a part of "lot #112" - still yet to be determined what that really means......

Now, this afternoon, I'm told, "Well, you were given production week #38 as a preliminary estimate (meaning: as soon as my order was submitted, I was given an estimated build week which could and probably would change."

So, in reality, my ACTUAL production week will likely be designated early next week. Which, according to the nice MINI spokesperson, means the car could actually start being built any day now... or maybe in about a week....so, just keep checking back."

It's crazy. You wold think it would drive me even more crazy, but I guess it's just part of the lunacy if you choose to call the crazy help number three times a week. Yea, I'm getting what I deserve.

However, bottom line is I'm a week closer than I was Monday.... even though I still don't know how close.....:smile:

Waiting....... patiently??????
Actually the "112" Designation is not a lot number it is a "status". The way I understand it, "status 112" means that they have your order and have scheduled a preliminary build date. At some point after being placed in "status 112" you can no longer make changes to the order. The way they explained it to me is that generally an order will be in "status 112" for a few days to a few weeks before a production week is assigned. Once things get close enough to firm up the actual build date a VIN will be assigned. Once you have a VIN you can no longer change the order. So you CAN make changes while you are status 112, but only up to a point.

I have read a few posts that have indicated that people have been able to change the order after the VIN assignment but when they do, the build date changes. I don't know if these stories are true, but my MA (and ASK MINI) told me that after the VIN is assigned you cannot change the order.

For what it is worth, ASK MINI says there are plans to improve the status reporting on the website. Sometime near the end of September they plan on implementing the change. Some how it figures that after most of us won't need it any more they will have a better way of handling things.

Good Luck
Phil

Old 08-28-2004 | 07:33 AM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
Dancing with joy I have a VIN And Sunnie is in production Hopefully will be finished by the end of this week

Lois

Quick Reply: R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!