R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004 | 03:34 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
2nd time around

Thought I would get on the Sept/Oct list. Production #7482XXX.

I ordered an '03 CVT Cooper two years ago and went through the "sweet agony" of waiting and tracking my Mini. This time it will be an '05 MCS. (Red/blk)

I can't wait for Sept/Oct. :smile:

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:04 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
good news! my friend rachel at ask-mini just called to tell me that my car is now "code 112 - Order scheduled for Production" and should be starting on august 23rd! this is one week earlier than i was previosly quoted...let's hope it sticks.

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:08 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Good news and update

Hey everyone. The good news is that The Sheriff went into production on August 5 and is scheduled to be completed by August 17 . Even the OL has updated me from the dreaded "on order" status. I noticed on another thread that "Sportty" has a Cabrio that completed production on August 10.

My production number was 74743xx. Now I even have a VIN!

Just say no to jostling hurricanes!

Mike

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:10 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenAudio
Hey everyone. The good news is that The Sheriff went into production on August 5 and is scheduled to be completed by August 17:

is this earlier than you were quoted? just curious...

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:26 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
took that option out?? no.... i dont believe it. Im not getting it or anything, but it seems just wront to me. who knows...

I would sitll like anthracite headliner :(

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:29 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
I'm getting very very jealous I've decided to wait until next week to talk to a "real" person again. OL still says "on order" But the live person said week 37.

merikk,
Yes, you can get a red dash!!! Is it too late to change? It's really cool looking. I saw it on a 05 at the dealer last week. And the exterior chrome package is very available. It adds additional chrome(new bar across grill,around fog lamps,& in bumpers&more I think) to the chrome that is standard on the MINI.

Lois

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:31 PM
dwr1004
1st Gear
Ordered today

I have been on the waiting list to order my MCS since May from the Portland, OR Mini dealer. I called today and I was still #73 on the wait list to get a production slot.

I got tired of waiting, so I called around and found a dealer that had 2 September production slots open. I should have my MCS by the end of October !!!

Hyper Blue/White, Premium, DSC, Cold Weather, Blue Leather, Anthracite, 16" R90 wheels

I should be getting a production number in the next couple of days. WOOHOO!

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:38 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
is this earlier than you were quoted? just curious...
Yes. I was originally told that I would go into production on August 17, but in fact that is my completion date.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:51 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Old 08-12-2004 | 06:36 PM
merikk
2nd Gear
Lois- I can still change my order. Does the body colored dash cost extra? And how much is the exterior chrome package??

Thanks.

Oh, and by the way- I called Mini today and spoke to a rep- apparently, my MA put me in for a week 36 slot, but they're not sure it will make that week. Hopefully they will have more information next week!

Old 08-12-2004 | 06:42 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
good news! my friend rachel at ask-mini just called to tell me that my car is now "code 112 - Order scheduled for Production" and should be starting on august 23rd! this is one week earlier than i was previosly quoted...let's hope it sticks.
Mine is status code 112 as well but my dealer told me it would be a late Sept. production. Could it be that mine will be built sooner?

Brilliant!

Old 08-12-2004 | 06:54 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
merikk,

I just checked my handy dandy spec sheet & I saw something I had not noticed before. On the MCS, the MCS Cabrio, & the MC Cabrio, it says interior body color NC(no charge). For the MC it says NA (not available). Now I'm confused I was told it was available on all the MINIs. The exterior chrome package is $250.
I have a few other places I can check in regards to the interior body color. I'll let you know what I find out.

Lois

Old 08-12-2004 | 07:02 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
merikk,

I just checked on Motoring File & unfortunately it looks like the body color interior is only available on the MCS & Cabrios I'm sorry

Lois

Old 08-12-2004 | 07:18 PM
merikk
2nd Gear
That sucks. Poooey.

Hey, at least the bright side is that its one decision I don't have to make. Right? Now I just need to find some pics that show the difference between a '05 MC with and without the chrome exterior.

Lois- thank you so much, chica!!!!!

merikk

Old 08-12-2004 | 07:34 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
merikk,

If you go to www.miniusa.com Click on our cars, then MINI Cooper, then photo gallery, click on each picture. Some of them have the chrome & some don't.
Hope this helps:smile:

Lois

Old 08-12-2004 | 08:18 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Things to Do in Denver when you're Waiting

Um...hello. My name is Peter and I'm waiting.

I've read most if not all the posts in this thread and don't believe I've seen any other Denver people.

Our dealer is Ralph Schomp and our rep, Vince Quick, has been a friend for many years. Before the cabrio was announced I was on the list. So last week we got the call that they would have a display car on the floor. We went in and placed our deposit.

Now..according to Vince they expect a demo Cabrio to arrive the end of this month. Their first allocation of 12 should arrive later in September. These will not be special order cars. They do not want to even try to get proper orders in for the first lot...on the presumption that these first cars wouldn't get built properly anyway. So...orders will be taken beginning with October cars. Thus I have no order in place nor production number. But I'm 7th on the dealers list..so something good should happen.

I'm actually fine with receiving a later production car as the problems with the top concern me and I'd like to see that they're sorted before I get one!

Ours will be a MCSC...Color undecided. I really liked the look of Purple Haze until I saw it in the flesh. Online it looks very nice . in reality it was reminiscent of Plum Crazy as used in early 70's Muscle cars.

We're leaning toward some form of Blue with the Soft Leather interior...Blue top..all 3 option packages plus Chrono.

So for now I'm spending time on the boards and forums learning all that I can...I've had Little British Cars for many years...this - aside from 2 company cars in the 80's - will be the first new car we've ever purchased.

Excited? Oh yeah!

Peter in Denver

Old 08-12-2004 | 08:34 PM
indiman
2nd Gear
Nice to hear from you Peter. I live in Colo Springs and have ordered my mini through Schomp as well. I think they are a good dealership... no unusual charges, only retail. I hope your mini experience goes smoothly.

Old 08-12-2004 | 08:46 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
Welcome Peter,

I'm a little confused about your comment about the September Cabrios possibly not being built properly Have they not been building Cabrios since the Spring?
I realize the Brits are having an issue with some of the tops showing early wear spots & some minor noise issues(jeez how can a convertible be quiet ) I've driven a Miata for 8 years & don't know of too many convertibles that are quiet.
I read that BMW is addressing the top issue & unless I am mistaken they have changed the fabric slightly & fixed the wear problems. Or so they say. I have seen 3 of the "traveling" Cabrios. They were built early this year. I specifically looked at the top & saw no wear. I did see where some idiot had poked a hole in it Well, hopefully my September build Cabrio won't have 6 wheels, 10 headlights, 2 steering wheels etc etc Good luck with your October build but I'll have mine before the snow flies:smile:

Lois

Old 08-12-2004 | 09:38 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LouiefromStLou
Well, hopefully my September build Cabrio won't have 6 wheels, 10 headlights, 2 steering wheels etc etc
sounds like the XXL MINI Limo!

Old 08-12-2004 | 09:59 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Louie...no, the concern is not that they will not be well built it's that they might not be properly configured to customer spec and they do not want any unhappy customers. Sounds like they got burnt with early production MC's and do not want to repeat the process. I have great respect for Schomp and their committment to customer satisfaction.

With regard to top wear.. yes they are being sorted but recent production cars have shown wear after 12 hours ownership. Threads on Mini2.com indicate that they are doing some sort of non recall recall to fix the problems.

It's understood that problems can happen but it's not like they've rushed to production...they had the time and money to do it right in the first place. I'm not worried...but nor do I want to take delivery of a car that has significant problems such as that. I'm ok waiting even if it puts me into questionable convertible weather.

The static demo car that was here in Denver had its top down and the keys removed. There was no way to see the top. Seems that kids in the car pushed all the buttons at once and jammed the top. They got it working but the car had to be in San Diego this weekend and they did not want to risk another episode. Of course it could have had top wear that they did not want us to see...I would have done the same thing if I were them. These were pre-production cars if I understand it and so if they had problems it's understandable.

Indiman..do you have an actual spec'd car with production number or a deposit down as I do with expectation of placing the spec order end of the month? Just want to confirm my situation :~) Did you see the demo?

Anybody have concerns about Soft Leathers' durability in an open car? Not that it would change our plan :~)

Peter

Old 08-13-2004 | 05:46 AM
indiman
2nd Gear
Peter, I do have a spec'd Mini. Since this is my second Mini purchase from Schomp, they don't make me wait. I sat down with them, spec'd my MCS in their computer and gave them the rqr'd deposit. I got a production # and status 112 when my order printed out. Mine is an MCS hardtop. I decided not to go for the Cabrio.

Old 08-13-2004 | 07:22 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Ahhhhh...

you ordered a MCS...AFAIK there is no wait on those.

Thanks for the reply...

as a current owner you know the joy...I - OTOH - have to wait.

Last night I was reading posts about people tracking the ships that their cars are on. The image of little kids - myself included - watching TV on Christmas Eve when the weather person would show the position of Santa's Sleigh came to mind :~)

Mayhaps our paths will cross!

Peter

Old 08-13-2004 | 07:54 AM
indiman
2nd Gear
Peter, I believe there is a wait on MCS's if you didn't previously purchase a Mini from Schomp. I have friends that have waited 3 months already and still don't have a production number.

I just called Mini USA and they estimated wk 36 for production. (1st wk in Sept) I don't think I will havew to wait as long as I thought. :smile:

Old 08-13-2004 | 08:07 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Indiman wrote...

Peter, I believe there is a wait on MCS's if you didn't previously purchase a Mini from Schomp. I have friends that have waited 3 months already and still don't have a production number.

Shows you what I know!
I thought I saw MCS on the apron for sale off the lot...must have been a mirage -or more likely - lack of understanding on my part.

Peter

Old 08-13-2004 | 08:13 AM
Teampajn
4th Gear
In order to get the body colored dash you need something more than just an MC. You must also get the car the same color top and bottom, then you have to pay extra to get it.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!