R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004 | 06:47 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
Wow! Time flies. It hardly seems possible that it has been 6 weeks since I took delivery. Odometer reads just over 2,000 miles which includes a 500 mile trip up to NY to visit my brother and another 600 miler to see my son at school in VA. (Averaged right at 30 mpg on both trips). I absolutely cannot wipe the grin off my face whenever I drive this car!
I've added the Auto-Up window, Euro Parcel shelf, and glovebox organizer. And I just switched the brake pads to EBC Green - wheels were perpetually black with stock pads. No problems whatsoever and not even a hint of a complaint from me.

Old 11-19-2004 | 06:56 PM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
It has been 2200+ miles for us so far and I am really glad we made the decision to upgrade! I have added a Pilo intake along with the Webb cowl mod. and the one-ball is coming on Monday, I think.

Old 01-01-2005 | 12:57 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Sad Story... Turns Happy

hey everyone. hope you all had great holiays! sadly, my mini did not.

last week my mini was "lemoned" - not in the traditional sense - but it experienced so many faiures in such a small amount of time (three breakdowns in the last week!) that i demanded a new car and my dealer agreed to replace it.

i am now in the process of waiting for bmw to give the go ahead and issue a credit or do whatever it is they do and then go ahead and order a new car. i have been told it won't take too long - and i am hoping to order my new mcs this week.

it was a fun 45 out of 90 days for me and my cooper. i had some amazing times in that little car and i will miss it for sure. it is good to know though that after enough sh-t hitting the fan that mini dealers will make good on their products. i plan on taking my credit and replacing my now departed brg/w cooper cvt with a brg/w cooper s auto w/paddles! ; )

suffice to say i am really psyched about the new car, but won't offically begin the flip-out until i get all of this red tape squared away with the buyback of my old cooper.

more to come - drew

ps - attaching one last pic of my old baby... still easy on the eyes!

Old 01-01-2005 | 01:03 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
Drew,

So sorry to hear about your MINI. But hopefully BMW/MINI will do right for you. Good luck with your new baby.

Lois

Old 01-01-2005 | 01:09 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
thanks lois ; )

have fun with sunnie!

- drew

Old 01-01-2005 | 02:26 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Sorry to hear that your experience hasnt been top-notch with the reliability. At least you know the reality is that these cars aretypically great, as is apparent in your purchase of anohter. I dont think i could drive any other car now after having my mini.

So October 15 is about when i took delivery of mine. Thats about 2.5 months with the car, and just over 3000 miles, still brand new by all acounts... I love the car. I hope that everyone else is having as good an experience as I am. Good luck on the buyback and replacement drew. let us know what happens, right here in this thread. gotta love the subscription feature that emails you with thread updates!

Patrick

Old 01-01-2005 | 02:29 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
thanks patrick.

and OF COURSE i am getting another mini - an s in fact! ; ) the reality is that sometimes sh-t happens and it will all work out. it's a little nerve racking waiting for the green light on it all, but the dealer told me they were getting me a new car, my service advisor called to tell me she heard i was getting a new car, and when i brought it in for the final time i was told to remove all of my personal belongings from the car...so i have much faith!

i'll report back here when i know more - thanks! - drew

Old 01-02-2005 | 07:49 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about your problems Drew..... but relieved to hear that BMW and the dealer are doing the right thing AND that you'll get another MINI!
Once resolved, of course, you'll have to go through The Wait - again! Just make sure that you keep us informed along the way.

Old 01-02-2005 | 07:53 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ozbone
Sorry to hear about your problems Drew..... but relieved to hear that BMW and the dealer are doing the right thing AND that you'll get another MINI!
Once resolved, of course, you'll have to go through The Wait - again! Just make sure that you keep us informed along the way.
thanks oz - hopefully i'll be able to order this week. when i do you can all go through 3 months of anxiety with me..lol... i still can't believe i am going to have to do that again!!

cheers - drew

Old 01-05-2005 | 12:07 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Mini Rules!!

here comes the happy ending everyone...

after a week to the day that my troubles came to a boil, mini of manhattan and miniusa are taking back my cooper and letting me put it towards a new car. to say i am happy would be the understatement of the year! the team over there has been nothing short of amazing - and fast! they said i would get a new car, and i am getting a new car. period. no hassle, no fuss, no fight. i ordered my new car today and even received the production number.

so now it's back to the waiting game (march isn't that far away!)

cheers - drew

Old 01-14-2005 | 02:12 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
well just in case anyone is still tuning in... how about a flashback?

i just got my new production number and have a week 6 2005 build. (brings you right back - doesn't it?)

how are those of you with mcs's enjoying your cars?

i can't wait - again!

cheers- drew

Old 01-14-2005 | 02:35 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
Drew,

Great news! It's deja vu all over again!
Did I read that actual production photos are now available ?
Keep us informed along the way.

Old 01-14-2005 | 02:45 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
thanks oz - actually the production photos were a test - i've not been offered any. the waiting is still brutal - but not as bad as the first time. i know exactly what's going to happen and what to expect - so it's more annoying than anything else! ; )

happy motoring - drew

Old 01-14-2005 | 03:07 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
great to hear that things are moving along. I just spent all afternoon discovering new roads in my area. I had quite a bit of fun, but in all honesty, today was the first time that I've ever made myself carsick! not kidding...

mountain roads are a real blast...

Patrick

Old 01-17-2005 | 05:40 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
getting closer...

i am now at #112 - scheduled for daily production. does anyone remember how much time from this stage to actual production?

happy motoring - drew

Old 02-01-2005 | 07:14 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
here we go!

production has begun....

- drew

Old 02-10-2005 | 01:24 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
at the port of exit.

now where's that confounded boat?

- drew

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:13 PM
merikk
2nd Gear
Holy crap its been a while since I've been here!!! I've been out there, tearing the NJ/NY roads with my beloved mini cooper!!! I am so in love, its sick

I have had no problems with the car. Initially I wasn't too happy with the MPG, but I *think* it may be getting better now. I am loving the MFSW, the cold package and the DSC. I'm definitely glad I chose them

Actually, even my boyfriend has been enjoying driving my little baby. He is very impressed with the car, and has been considering buying a cooper S in the future.... Hahaha....

I have had lots of great experiences- from just smiling happily while driving, to having other mini's "flash" me, to people throwing positive comments... My favorite, however, was when I let my best friend's boyfriend test drive it. He's 6'3 and currently drives a jeep. We got in the car, put it into Sports Mode (its a CVT) and took the car for a 20 minute spin. He was STUNNED by the preformance- the pick up, the turns, how smoothly it drives.... When we finished the test drive, I asked him "how much HP do you think this car has?" and he answered "185 at least". He was pretty shocked when I told him its 115. Let me tell you, this car FLIES!

Well, gotta go for now...... I would love to hear everyone else's experiences!

Noa

PS-
Drew- sorry about the problems... But wow, a cooper S with peddles?? COOL!!!!!

Old 02-10-2005 | 03:27 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
hey noa!

nice to hear you've been having some cool adventures. i feel like the kid who got left behind here as the bus for the class trip took off..lol..

but it looks like my cooper s auto is on the boat and will be here in a week or so... prepare for the revenge of the british racing green machine y'all! ; )

- drew

Old 03-04-2005 | 07:33 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
picking up today at 3pm!!

hey, is this thing on? ; )

well if any of you even still get this thread, or are out there at all, i am getting my replacement mini today!

after all of the drama i will be driving home in my new mcsa at 3 o'clock today.

pics soon.

hope everyone is doing great - cheers - drew

Old 03-04-2005 | 10:01 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Finally!! Very happy for you. cant wait to see the pics!

Patrick

btw, just wired up the aux input on my MINI last night, gotta love the ipod running through the car's stereo!

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:09 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
It's Here!

thanks for being the voice out in the ether patrick..lol...

here it is - perfect!

happy motoring y'all - drew

Old 03-04-2005 | 01:31 PM
StLouieLo
|
6th Gear
Congrats, Drew on your new MINI:smile: Love that BRG And I'm still here too

Lois

Old 03-04-2005 | 02:18 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
thanks lois - and wow - what a sig!

Old 03-07-2005 | 03:53 PM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
48 hours later - a quick review

all i can say is WOW! the mcsa is a complete monster! i think mini has found the sweet spot with this car... they're gonna sell a ziliion of these things! i won't go into a long review of the tranny as it seems to have been covered everywhere at this point, but suffice to say it is flawless. i'll just give you some random points as they come to me:

- the shifting is crisp and fast. the car oozes power and it's all i can do to keep it under 4500 rpm for the break-in.

- the classic mcs burbling exhaust sputter is alive and well in the automatic! sitting at a standstill, rev the engine up to 3k and listen for what comes next... or better yet, throw the tranny into sd (sport drive) and listen on downshifts or while coasting at higher revs... bliss!

- coming from a cooper with leather sport seats i can now say that i prefer my leatherette sport seats in my s. they feel firmer and have a better grip on the body. i never really used the lower lumbar support, but it was a feature i liked. it just feels like the leatherette is tougher and by far more firm.

- seat heaters rule! didn't have them on my old cooper - but sure am glad i have them now!

- anthracite headliner is key. can't imagine the car without it. i think it should be standard and the grey should be the option.

- the factory apple/ipod adapter is amazing. who cares if it doesn't give you song info on the head unit. you know the songs you put on there dude... keep your eyes on the road!! ; ) sound is flawless - as is the control.

- speaking of control (back to the tranny for a sec) the paddle shifters themselves are a marvel. one twist of the wheel and you'll understand why both perform in the same way. makes perfect sense.

- the nav with british female voice is beyond cool. she says things like "take the second turning on the right" instead of "take the second right" - and "in one quarter mile, join the motorway" - it's just so slick...

- the sound of the engine is amazing as well. i've dabbled in the higher revs ever so briefly and i am sure the car has lots more to offer than what you can experience during break in. the supercharger sounds great and the engine is nice and beefy. very powerful feeling after coming from a cvt cooper.

- speaking of the cvt cooper, here is my impression comparing the two: i absolutely loved my cooper. it was fun, peppy and very tight feeling. all that being said the mcsa clearly outperforms it in every way, but i wouldn't say it's a fair comparison per se.... the cooper feels "lighter" to me and plenty tight around a turn. (mine had 16's and my s has 17's). the s has a more "solid" feel to it - very sure footed and fast - but a different kind of fast. i guess it's hard to explain, but having now owned both i can say that the cvt cooper is a beastie unto itself and a real blast to drive. they are just very different cars all around and i wouldn't say that somebody who could only afford a cooper would be robbed of the mini experience in any way shape or form. personally, i cannot imagine not having a car with paddle shifting ever again, but that's my choice ; )

i guess i could go on and on - but i'll stop here. i think that mini will be hard pressed to top the sheer power, performance and joy of the cooper s automatic and i for one have had my expectations blown out of the water.

i can only imagine what the john cooper works kit is going to do to the performance and feel of this beast. i've been told it's nearing release for the mcsa and should be available soon. in fact, i put name on a list just today... ; )

well friends, i guess this will be my final entry into this thread - thanks to those of you who stuck it out with me. in the end, mini completely stood by their product and did right by me and i am totally blown away by the way i was treated. i will forever have a mini in my garage...

happy and safe motoring - drew

Quick Reply: R50/53 Can't wait for Sept/October 2004!!