R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Now tip...
I ran a MSD for years...no issues..
Folks said "you will fray your motor" or "you will try your ecu"...
Reality IMO is the MSD is a wisely available over the counter part, sold kinda cheap by many vendors...so if it became popular, other sellers would looses $$ on selling theirs...
Reality check...
The " screaming demon" is an even MORE upgraded MSD style coil...if waymotorworks says it is safe...why not the MSD...
I do know ONE person who had a scremaon demon...then needed an ecu...do I think it was the coils fault...no..was it age..maybe..or the piggyback? Perhaps...
Basic electrical stuff here..volts, Amp's, Resistance.....
And if anybody needs a diy to change a coil...maybe they should keep the hood closed...pretty simple stuff....not exact swaps...but 95% ....

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (10-22-2020)
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by batrugger
Thanks guys, I searched and found one. Do they work well? It is a lot less cost than the other ones I have seen.
Well so far it worked just fine in my car.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Now tip...
I ran a MSD for years...no issues..
Folks said "you will fray your motor" or "you will try your ecu"...
Reality IMO is the MSD is a wisely available over the counter part, sold kinda cheap by many vendors...so if it became popular, other sellers would looses $$ on selling theirs...
Reality check...
The " screaming demon" is an even MORE upgraded MSD style coil...if waymotorworks says it is safe...why not the MSD...
I do know ONE person who had a scremaon demon...then needed an ecu...do I think it was the coils fault...no..was it age..maybe..or the piggyback? Perhaps...
Basic electrical stuff here..volts, Amp's, Resistance.....
And if anybody needs a diy to change a coil...maybe they should keep the hood closed...pretty simple stuff....not exact swaps...but 95% ....
Good for you. Before I even came in here or went on a couple of pages in face book to ask questions, I went to my mechanic who specializes in Mini coopers. What he told me was to RUN away from MSD because ...and I am paraphrasing here a bit...every single msd he installed was reverted back to oem because there were issues. I understand you had no problems with yours and I am happy for you but I am going with someone who dealt with them in numbers (not just one car) and listening to what he said. He had no dog in this fight, he just gave his opinion. I respect his opinion and experience so I never actually even considered msd due to him and what I saw on the web. Everything from the oem bolts not fitting to people cracking them because there is no "stop" when tightening them....and yes, fried ECU's. This is what I found when I did a little google research.

I didnt need an diy to change the coil, I was simply asking people their opinions on spark plugs, wires and the coil for my car. 2006 JCW. I hope someone in the future will read this and use what I learned from the little research I did.

MINI_42 (10-22-2020)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
IMO changing the coil on these cars is like chasing diminishing returns. If you look at the highest spec of this generation (GP) the coil is the same part number as a Cooper S. I’m sure the different colour will impress the kiddies at the next meet at Hardees and add 50 HP.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
IMO changing the coil on these cars is like chasing diminishing returns. If you look at the highest spec of this generation (GP) the coil is the same part number as a Cooper S. I’m sure the different colour will impress the kiddies at the next meet at Hardees and add 50 HP.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
I’m sure the different colour will impress the kiddies at the next meet at Hardees and add 50 HP.
Quote of the day.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Campbell
Good for you. Before I even came in here or went on a couple of pages in face book to ask questions, I went to my mechanic who specializes in Mini coopers. What he told me was to RUN away from MSD because ...and I am paraphrasing here a bit...every single msd he installed was reverted back to oem because there were issues. I understand you had no problems with yours and I am happy for you but I am going with someone who dealt with them in numbers (not just one car) and listening to what he said. He had no dog in this fight, he just gave his opinion. I respect his opinion and experience so I never actually even considered msd due to him and what I saw on the web. Everything from the oem bolts not fitting to people cracking them because there is no "stop" when tightening them....and yes, fried ECU's. This is what I found when I did a little google research.

I didnt need an diy to change the coil, I was simply asking people their opinions on spark plugs, wires and the coil for my car. 2006 JCW. I hope someone in the future will read this and use what I learned from the little research I did.
I'm here from the future and this thread has been a time capsule for me in my research in colis. I had a Sreamin Demon and bought an after market German made for $40 as a test coil. I'm running it for now and so far the car is running good. But it turns out it wasnt a coil problem I had anyway, but a power supply to the coil problem.

Thanks for the post and rest assured, you helped at least one geezer.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
OEM is perfectly fine but I chose a Screamin Demon just because it has 5,000 extra volts and is black.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:22 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 263 Posts
I replaced the MSD with an OEM type coil. Brand is SKV (German made)

Old 10-27-2020, 01:05 PM
steve05ram360
4th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
If I ever get around to it, a Screamin Demon will get the call for mine... I dont get a big enough shock when I grab the MSD wires

user 7389739 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 634 Likes on 501 Posts
My car has a fully built top end ( head,cam,intake,bolt ons) and since I've had the car, its had a VMS coilpack ( msd knock off ) and I haven't had one issue with my ignition or any corrosion on any terminals.
if I ever change it out ille go with screamon demon as I've used their coils on other engines with good results.

ssoliman (10-28-2020)