R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Stuttering and power loss with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Khai
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuttering and power loss with A/C on

When using my A/C I notice that if I try to go in first gear the car tends to stutter and jolt unless I give it a 3k start and keep my foot on the gas a decent amount when releasing the clutch. It also feels like it steals half of my power. The feeling almost seems like the belt would be slipping, but I'm not sure that would make the car jolt like it is. I have to really be man on the throttle when using my A/C. And I have almost no belt noise. If this isn't a normal problem where should I look? Tensioner?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Here is a thread on NAM with lots of individuals with very similar complaints like yours. Some even saying that when at a stop light they have to turn the AC off when it turns green to accelerate. It seems to be more apparent of a problem with the 1st gen MINI's.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Khai
When using my A/C I notice that if I try to go in first gear the car tends to stutter and jolt unless I give it a 3k start and keep my foot on the gas a decent amount when releasing the clutch. It also feels like it steals half of my power. The feeling almost seems like the belt would be slipping, but I'm not sure that would make the car jolt like it is. I have to really be man on the throttle when using my A/C. And I have almost no belt noise. If this isn't a normal problem where should I look? Tensioner?
As far as the shuttering...Check your plugs and plug wires. The A/C compressor will put more load on your motor......so bad plugs and/or wires could be an issue.

As far as no power with A/C on...I think that's pretty normal. These motors are weak until you get the RPM's up high enough where you start making boost from the supercharger......when the A/C compressor is on and pulling on it even more, it's even worse. No sure if there is a fix for it really.....I usually just turn my A/C off when I need the "normal" power back.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:15 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Hate the say..but kinda the nature of the beast....
Sure, you might want to do some basic MX to be sure...
But I think you are feeling the effect of HEAT SINK....aka the top mounted intercooler gets hot at the traffic light...you start moving, the air is hot, the motor reduces power and pulled the timing...a bit if airflow... And it recovers...the power comes back, and you have more HP and tq at a higher rpm anyway...
Add to that the fact the car is old enough that we are not sure if it has been modified, or mmatained well.....
A light weight flywheel can cause the car to feel the same way...but it sounds like you are a newish owner, and would not know if it was changed....

Old 09-22-2015, 05:19 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
PS.
When you say you "almost have no belt noise...and need to be a " man on the throttle " ...you might want to look at the belt...if it is fine, there is ZERO BELT NOISE at BOTH high and low rpms...
The belt used carries based upbif it has a replacement pulley or not...

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^This^

Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 AM
Khai
2nd Gear
Thanks, I will check plugs and wires, and my belt looks good. I know the power loss in general is normal, it was just the way it did it from a stop that worried me. I will also check out the threads on this issue when I have a chance.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Khai
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Khai
Thanks, I will check plugs and wires, and my belt looks good. I know the power loss in general is normal, it was just the way it did it from a stop that worried me. I will also check out the threads on this issue when I have a chance.
Replaced tensioner and belt for other reasons (developed a squeaky bearing noise) , fixed this problem also, thanks everyone who suggested.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Sc00terbum
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too fought this issue from the day I bought mine. Seemed to run fine with the air off 98% of the time. Sometime it would run a little rough when I first started it but would smooth out as it warmed up. Plugs and wired did seem to help but not with the air on. I took the car on a pretty grueling run through mountains and it seemed to really be lacking power.

I decided to do a compression check and BINGO! I found the issue. Cylinder 2 had pretty low compression and cylinder had very low compression but you really wouldn't have guessed it as it ran smooth most of the time. The cause ended up to be three burnt valves. I replaced all the exhaust valves and did a valve job and now the car runs fine with the air on.

Good luck!