R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Mb460
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning software

I admit i didn't dig around very hard, but everything i see about tu ing says take it here send the ecu there buy this from that guy...

Does anyone know what software i can use to tune my 03 mini cooper s hatchback?

I should preface this by saying 1, i am a mechanic 2, my boss has been tuning cars since before the E-prom days and we still tune actively. We are in the process of tuning a supra right now. So what software do i need to buy so that we can plug in a computer and tune it? Honestly, i haven't tried accessing the computer with what we have available to us currently. It may very well plug right in, and display all of the tables, but for some reason i doubt it. Nothing else on this car seems to be conventional. Bmw never makes it easy to tune their cars, in fact, many of them can't be tuned without a stand alone ecu, which may very well take a lot of practical functionality out of the car that I've become accustomed to.

i plan to install larger injectors as my next order of business, and change from 15% to 19% pulley. then we will port the head, add a cam and i will start looking at stroker kits.. either way, it must be tuned with each major change. Im looking for 250-300hp to the ground if possible, end result , but would be fine with 250 flywheel for now.

Currently, 15% pulley, stock S injectors, 3" exhaust to stock manifold, and supposedly was tuned by Detroit tune, but have not been able to verify that with them, lots of alta parts installed etc.

So tuning software?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Dig a little you will find plenty about it, if you've read send to this guy or that guy then you probably already read anything anyone can tell you.
Jan, WMW, dt to name a few.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Mb460
2nd Gear
:-/

Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
if you wish to tune your own car, standalone ecu with their software. OR Bytetronic/Mynes has a full access kit for tuning that uses the stock ECU and their software to do so, I have no experience with either, I have a canned tune waiting from Mynes.... haven't used it yet, next year when I throw a cam and injectors in. I would also stay away from the 19% pulley, it taxes the waterpump and creates ALOT of heat in the upper RPM range

Old 10-21-2015, 12:08 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Unfortunatly for us R53 owners........options for being able to tune your own DME are pretty limited.....and the options that are out there aren't that great (and/or really expensive). That's why most people just pay a big chunk of cash to one of the few shops around the country and have them do it for them.

I with it was like the Chevy LS DME's......you can get software for them for $400 that will give you full access to do anything you want.....as long as you have an idea how to run the software.

There just isn't a big enough demand out there for R53 tuning software I guess....I've been looking for years....and besides Bytetronic full access, there aren't many options.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Mb460
2nd Gear
Agreed... ls1 : " i need a new crank shaft.. let me run to 7Eleven and buy one for 10 bucks. No problem.

Mini : call this guy in germany pay him 15000 and he will get you a secret pass to rondesvouse with a man who will give you a password. Use that password to acceess a key to a po box which will have a mans address..m send your ECU TO HIM and he likes you he may tune it for 150 grand and send it back within 14 months...

That about sums up my german car experiences. Bmw mini vdub porsche etc....

Old 10-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Finhead
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch.berry1@yahoo.com
Agreed... ls1 : " i need a new crank shaft.. let me run to 7Eleven and buy one for 10 bucks. No problem.

Mini : call this guy in germany pay him 15000 and he will get you a secret pass to rondesvouse with a man who will give you a password. Use that password to acceess a key to a po box which will have a mans address..m send your ECU TO HIM and he likes you he may tune it for 150 grand and send it back within 14 months...

That about sums up my german car experiences. Bmw mini vdub porsche etc....
LMAO, WHAT?

It's about $750 for a remote tune with the flash tool.
http://www.revolutionmini.com/?page_...3&product_id=3

It's about $1100 for Full Access with a base tune I believe. After that you can go nuts yourself if you like it's pretty much the same as say a Ostrich emulator. Not as full featured as a full stand alone but enough to tune it well or cook your engine if you don't know what your doing.
http://www.bytetronik.com/fa.html

Old 10-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch.berry1@yahoo.com
Currently, 15% pulley, stock S injectors, 3" exhaust to stock manifold, and supposedly was tuned by Detroit tune, but have not been able to verify that with them, lots of alta parts installed etc.

So tuning software?
If it was already tuned by Detroit Tune, check with Chad to see what it was tuned with. There is a chance that the car might already have FA53 already installed, then all you need is the MINIPort from the previous owner and you can tune your own car.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Finhead
It's about $1100 for Full Access with a base tune I believe. After that you can go nuts yourself if you like it's pretty much the same as say a Ostrich emulator. Not as full featured as a full stand alone but enough to tune it well or cook your engine if you don't know what your doing.
http://www.bytetronik.com/fa.html
We have FA53 + 550cc package deals for $795... now if you want to add CRM, then you'll need to install the Innovate AFR Kit + serial logging cable ($197), then CRM tuning fee ($300)...

Of course, one can also go with a canned tune + flashing module for $750 from other tuners...