R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Steering Problems...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Odin2free
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problems...?

Steering Wheel jerks to the left and right while i accelerate from a stop through the gears up to highway speeds..and at highway speeds, it has a vibration...

Now this is what is done.
Replaced Struts & Shocks with KONI Str.Oranges & Mounts
Lowered with Tein Springs
Replaced both upper and lower ball joints both sides
Replaced Control Arm Bushings with Powerflex ones both sides
Rear Lower Control Arms Hotchkis
Alignment and Balance

So I replaced all of that and im still getting ths issue...
I tested it with different wheels, (as one of my rims is bent and have to buy a new one)
But the issue still is happening with the different rims (friend let me use his to see if its the wheel or if its something else)

Now im curious,
Could it be the tierods?
Could it be the wheel hubs on the front?
Could it be the cvjoints?
Could it be the transmission?

I do plan on replacing the tierods assemblies...
But to do the hubs and cvjoints is just pure overhaul...

The driver side wheel makes a weird noise too, which i think is the hub is going on that (its a small screech like that of your brakes are worn and need to be replaced which mine do). When i make a sharp turn it has scraping sound pretty noticeable, like my brakes or something is rubbing against the strut (checked and its not rubbing)
Just sounds bad lke ill have to do the entire drivetrain...where it seems like im going to have to replace the transmission the clutch etc.....

Im lost, mechanics tell me nothing else is wrong everything that was done fixed the problem which ya did not fix my original problem.
So i went back and they said the same thing,...went to my buddy and he knows jack about minis but said it could be everything what i mentioned....

BUT
This is cool

I did get some time to actually replace THIS

Fuel Filter EWWWW

Other than that jerking motion in the steering wheel....
My car runs alot better...feels so much nicer, the idle is steady mileage went up a couple miles and still waiting to see how much better it will be...

I ahve alot of work ahead but if i can get this steering problem fixed ill feel safer in this car... It scares me right now..YES a grown man is saying that this mini cooper is scary right now due to this issue.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you are getting a vibration that makes me think it's possibly your CV axles. Since your MINI is lowered, check out this thread HERE. That seems to be more like the cause of your issue. Axles here if needed.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST