R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Sport Pack - need your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Pack - need your thoughts

MCSC

Sport Pack

I'm not in love with the 17" package...if for no other reason then the replacement cost of the tires

I'm ambivalent about the DSC...I've read the recent thread about DSC - some are for it some against...I don't see that I'd need it, or at least I've been driving 36 years without it and haven't missed it!

So...I'm not planning to order the Sport Pack...unless somebody has good input as to why I should. I will be ordering the Xenons and the Fogs out of the Sport pack but they only come to about $700. For 600 more I'd get the DSC and the 17's but I don't want the darn 17's...<sigh>

Peter
Obviously getting down to the fine details

Old 08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Prw3
3rd Gear
The DSC is a nice option, its saved my *** on more then a few wet weather occasions.
Originally Posted by Khodabear
MCSC

Sport Pack

I'm not in love with the 17" package...if for no other reason then the replacement cost of the tires

I'm ambivalent about the DSC...I've read the recent thread about DSC - some are for it some against...I don't see that I'd need it, or at least I've been driving 36 years without it and haven't missed it!

So...I'm not planning to order the Sport Pack...unless somebody has good input as to why I should. I will be ordering the Xenons and the Fogs out of the Sport pack but they only come to about $700. For 600 more I'd get the DSC and the 17's but I don't want the darn 17's...<sigh>

Peter
Obviously getting down to the fine details

Old 08-19-2004, 08:27 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
When I bought my MINI I also didn’t want the 17" rims or DSC so I just ordered the Xenons and fog lights which I did want and used the money I saved not getting stuff I didn’t want and used it to get other options I did want. So why pay for options you don’t want just because the sport pack is only 600 dollars more?

Old 08-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SCMCS
When I bought my MINI I also didn’t want the 17" rims or DSC so I just ordered the Xenons and fog lights which I did want and used the money I saved not getting stuff I didn’t want and used it to get other options I did want. So why pay for options you don’t want just because the sport pack is only 600 dollars more?
Which is my feeling as well...but I felt the need to query the Collective Wisdom before locking in.

Peter In Denver
Always seeking Validation :~)

Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 PM
lotsie
Banned
It seems you live in Denver from your last post,so you have to deal with snow.My MC has ASC,and unless I need to rock the car to get out of deep snow,I leave it on all the time.DSC controls more things,but like you I have been driving for 30+ years,I pay attention in poor weather,well, all weather.
Not sure DSC it is really needed,the ASC seems good enough for me.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:20 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
I forget if all MCS's come with runflats standard, but they are worth avoiding if at all possible. I was thinking of taking a pass on the Xenons (especially the new type), and passing on the DSC as well. But...I do intend to keep my new MINI for many years, I love it so much, so I decided to fork over a little more cash for some good, sound, safety features. The Xenons give great night time visibility improvement, and are kinda cool as well. And I've read many accounts here of DSC having saved someone's butt more than once. DSC is a whole 'nother animal from anti-lock brakes, and can always be shut off for dry driving conditions, or when you are doing some...er...performance driving.

All things being equal, if there are things you truly don't want in the package, then skip the package and get as near to exactly what you want as possible.

Then pray they don't get your ordered options wrong upon delivery!

Old 08-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Electron_Mike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Prw3
The DSC is a nice option, its saved my *** on more then a few wet weather occasions.
Same here.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:03 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have DSC on my current MC and I don't really like it. It has saved me once, but the only reason I got that far was because I knew I had it.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:35 AM
indiman
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Peter, you have discovered one of the great things about buying a Mini. You can personalize it! Unlike the cars on a dealers lot, you can add or subtract any options on the car.

Get what YOU want or like and make the Mini your own.

Jeff

Old 08-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Teampajn
4th Gear
I chose not to get the sport pack. The only thing I wanted for my second time around was fog lights. I figured I'd just get base wheels and personalize later. The DSC is something you either love or hate. Personally I think it gives you less control of the car when you may need to be.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:34 AM
jefe
2nd Gear
I did the same, ordered zenons and front/rear fogs separate. I have no need for DSC, i hate anything intrusive. I usually turn of the ASC too. I wanted the 16s 'cause they're lighter.

Get it exactly how u want it, you'll be happier.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:31 AM
merikk
2nd Gear
When I ordered my MC, I originally ordered:
Cold weather package
Sports package
CVT
H/K
Auto wipers/mirror

Then after hanging out on NAM, I realized that I don't need a lot of the sports package features (tires are heavy and run-flats not recommended by veterans here, rear spoiler, fog lights...). Therefore I dropped the sports package and added DSC (snows a lot in NY/NJ), sport seats, OBC, MFSW. This way, I get all of the features I REALLY want, for the same price.

merikk

Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Bikeguy57
2nd Gear
Hi Peter, you don't need seat belts either...until the 18 wheeler in front of you and your family blows a tire. $600 for a safety feature like this is a bargain. You will never know its there till you need it. If money is a factor, I'd lose the Xenons or fogs before the DSC. Just my .02 based on 24 years in the fire/rescue business...Mike

Old 08-20-2004, 01:00 PM
115hp
5th Gear
If DSC saves your *** (or your MINI from harm) just once it's worth it. It's pretty easy to flick that switch off if you want to have extra fun. When I had skinny all-seasons and the original software program from '02 I thought the DSC was too intrusive, but wider, grippier tires and the latest software made a huge, huge difference. I rarely switch it off now. I've only autocrossed a few times, and really prefer the DSC off, yet when I've switched it back on my times are no slower. Go figure. I guess I don't really NEED DSC, but I'm glad I have it anyway.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I debated a long time whether to get DSC. In the end, I got it. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as intrusive as perhaps the earlier versions were.

I wish they had implemented it like Porsche, though. In Porsche's version of DSC, even if you turn it off it will kick back in automatically if things get way out of control.

That makes more sense than turning DSC off to have some fun and feeling like an idiot while skidding into some ditch --- or worse.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:51 PM
115hp
5th Gear
Is it true that if you have DSC switched off, it's actually operating at a reduced capacity, like 30%? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old 08-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greg67
Is it true that if you have DSC switched off, it's actually operating at a reduced capacity, like 30%? I thought I read that somewhere.
People were wondering about that because other cars operate that way, but i think the conclusion was that the MINI's dsc turned completely off

Old 08-20-2004, 02:50 PM
tommybwell
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was going to just order the Xenon and fogs but gave in and got the whole thing. I wish I had stuck to my original plan as the car is much more fun to drive with the DSC off and the wheels look great but weigh a ton.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:40 PM
benzamg
3rd Gear
Get DSC but lose the 17" Wheels. We just drove down from Maine on Saturday in torrential downpours 500 miles or so of the hardest rain I have ever seen. There were many accidents and lots of cars had spun off the road. Needless to say, DSC kept me on the road..

I guess the dilemma is if you add DSC, you are paying what the sport pack costs, minus 17" Wheels..

My dealer had a 3-pak MCS coming into port and available, so I went for it.... (I wanted the Xenons and Fogs for better night visibility.. and DSC but not the 17's) So, I bought a set of 1000 mi. X-lites, sold the 17's and made a good profit over the cost of the X-lites---And that's after shipping (both sides) and ebay fees.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:10 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
For those of you that "think" you are too good for DSC read the tale of Mr Motor.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=motor

Old 08-23-2004, 06:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't order any of the packages, just individual items. Seemed like each package had something really pricey that I didn't want. I've been very happy with the outcome and might.......okay will........do the same thing next time if the numbers dictate an advantage.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JustGo4It_
For those of you that "think" you are too good for DSC read the tale of Mr Motor.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=motor
In a different thread {Spec'd It!} I acknowledged that I have added the DSC.

Now that I've read the story of Mr. Motor....I'm glad I did!

Seriously...the reports here and on Mini2 are right down the middle...some say it saved their life...others say it kicked in while changing lanes on the freeway...

End result is that

A: None of the driving experience I have has been in a vehicle like this. Weight...distribution...torque bands...tire configuration...cup holders..nothing.

B: I can get myself into a dicey situation in a hurry and so could my wife...in a familiar vehicle let alone in this one.

and

3: I can turn it off if I don't like it.

I ordered Ala Carte ...took the Sport Package minus the 17's...choosing to go with the V spoke 16" wheels and All Weather RF's. We'll see about dropping the RF's when it's time to replace the tires. It as my gut feeling and the validation from all of you just put me over.

I think that the advice and suggestions that I've found here and Mini2 have been so valuable I can't even describe it. My Dealer and MA are good people but they don't have the real world experience that all of you do...

Thank you

Peter

Old 08-23-2004, 08:24 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
I ordered Ala Carte ...took the Sport Package minus the 17's...choosing to go with the V spoke 16" wheels and All Weather RF's. We'll see about dropping the RF's when it's time to replace the tires. It as my gut feeling and the validation from all of you just put me over.
I did the same.

I leave DSC on unless I am AutoXing. The DSC will kick in occasionally to remind me when I could have been a bit smoother making that U turn. I haven't had it kick in when I was trying to merge into traffic. I don't find it intrusive.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 AM
savage65
3rd Gear
MCSC

Sport Pack

I'm ambivalent about the DSC...I've read the recent thread about DSC - some are for it some against...I don't see that I'd need it
I replaced with Pirelli P Zeros for $116 a tire. Not run-flat so I carry an inflation cartridge.

DSC? If you find out you need it and don't have it it's all over !! It may save your *** one day.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Hmmm - interesting direction to go in - if you've replaced your RF's - either the stock 16's or 17's from the Sport Pack, what have you gone to ?

How have they been as far as traction and ride?

Do they look good?

Peter
Learning something new every day in Denver