R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Review of "Speed Daddy" R53 Stainless Exhaust on my '05

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review of "Speed Daddy" R53 Stainless Exhaust on my '05

First off, here's the link to it:

www.ebay.com/itm/400575976693?item=400575976693

It's now 31 bucks cheaper than when I bought it.

My stock right side resonator/muffler had some rust, so that was my excuse for needing new exhaust. Of course the REAL reason was the car needed, IMHO, a lot more aggressive exhaust note.

I would have loved Borla or Magnaflow (I have Magnaflow on my 1.8L Miata and it sounds like a lusty Italian), but $1,000.00 for exhaust, before installation, is really tough to swallow. I wanted stainless so it would last, but I was trying to be cheap about it (more on that later).

On to the exhaust itself: Just looking at it sitting in the giant box, it LOOKS beautiful. Nice and shiny. I was anxious to get it on the car, but I don't have even half the patience it would take to attempt the install myself - I know my limitations. So I made an appointment with a trusted local exhaust shop that has done work for me on other vehicles. As a point of reference, they installed Dynomax stainless dual exhaust on my Mustang GT and it took about an hour. This (smaller) R53 system took over THREE HOURS and presented lots of hassles. It was actually the same tech that did my Mustang, and this guy is very experienced. Just about NOTHING fit right, he called me out several times to the lift to show me various issues. He ended up needing to do lots of custom modification. It makes you wonder if they even designed the system ON an actual car, or were they just looking at pictures or something. One especially crazy example was one of the hangers on each muffler was installed facing literally 90 degrees off where it obviously needed to be. Not like "slightly off" but facing the total wrong direction. WTF.

So the fit is pretty much terrible, and getting it installed will basically double the cost, and 500 bucks for exhaust is not exactly chump change, but how does it sound?? Pretty damn awesome! Deep, with a nice snarl, and crazy pops when you let off the gas - like making popcorn with ball bearings

I've had several compliments on the sound, just today a buddy who has a Jetta GLI 2.0T was carrying on about how good it sounds.

So would I recommend it? Gotta say yes, but only if you are aware of the challenges going into it. If you're not scared off by the install hassles then you can save over half the cost of the big name systems and still end up with great sound. Oh and they claim 15 to 20 HP boost with the larger diameter piping and more free-flowing mufflers - I'm sure there's some benefit but that seems too good to be true. Obviously when it SOUNDS better, it SEEMS quicker, so a benefit either way I guess. I will say a few days after getting it installed I made a Hemi Challenger really work for it - he seemed pretty shocked hehe.
Pics:

Last edited by Martin-Logan; 12-23-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well the hangers on pre facelift cars are different, hence the hanger issue. Hopefully it will hold up over time, the eBay systems typically have bad fitment and start to fall apart, usually the resonator and mufflers.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
Fall apart how? Like welds come apart or what?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
You should have gone with Ireland engineering if cost was an issue. I installed mine on my garage floor with no issues. The fit was perfect and the system is quality. No history of failure that I'm aware of. All previous fitment issues have been resolved years ago. The cost was only $380.

I've heard those ebay systems are glass packed, and with spirited driving will have glass fibers on your hatch.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
^ Never heard of them, or else I might have

Good to know in case I have any problems with this system.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Old 12-24-2015, 10:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Nice review. So the hangers were only made for pre 1/2004 ?

I cant say enough about the milltek. And its On Sale, lifetime warranty and fit and finish is there.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R53_Milltek_Performance_Exhaust_Systems/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
I guess it sounds like maybe the hangers were designed for earlier models, but there were other fitment problems aside from just hangers.

I'm sure Miltek is nice, as it should be for three times the price - when I look at $300,000 houses I always find the $900,000 houses have features more to my liking

Old 12-24-2015, 11:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, noticed lots of those companies base design off one year and then don't adapt like for other year, like milltek and the brackets.

Milltek is very nice and on sale. But not near that price of that other exhaust . I really like the pinpoint review. Well done.

Have a great holiday. BTW "1988 Fiero Formula" awesome. Came from a 2M4 back in the day.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Martin-Logan
Fall apart how? Like welds come apart or what?
usually the resonators start to rattle, as well as the muffler internals.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
Thanks. I've had that Fiero (V6, stick) for over 20 years. Before that, three GTs.

They really got it right in '88, then killed it. Rumors persist that the next gen in the works could have eaten into Vette sales, and Chevy did not like the threat.

Hope your Holidays are great as well!

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, noticed lots of those companies base design off one year and then don't adapt like for other year, like milltek and the brackets.

Milltek is very nice and on sale. But not near that price of that other exhaust . I really like the pinpoint review. Well done.

Have a great holiday. BTW "1988 Fiero Formula" awesome. Came from a 2M4 back in the day.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Can you upload a sound clip/video of the exhaust? I have never liked any aftermarket exhausts for Minis; they all just sound liked riced out Civics to me, but your claim of a deep snarly note sounds appealing.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:16 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sevin
Can you upload a sound clip/video of the exhaust? I have never liked any aftermarket exhausts for Minis; they all just sound liked riced out Civics to me, but your claim of a deep snarly note sounds appealing.
Sounds clips do very little to capture the true sound of exhaust. The mic pics up sounds that we normally wouldn't hear in person. Ever watch a video and someone in the video is chewing gum? The gum chewing sound is amplified to the extreme. Same with exhaust or any other sound. Most clips are recorded with the mic on the bumper facing the exhaust. How could this position represent how an exhaust would sound in everday life? Your best example would be a live one.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:18 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Put a go pro inside the car with the windows down.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Put a go pro inside the car with the windows down.
And every little rattle, creek, wind sound and exhaust note would be amplified and distorted. This still would not represent how an exhaust would sound in person.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:33 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Sure but it's an idea, better than nothing at all.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
This is true. The way I chose my exhaust was a blind exhaust clip test. I had my son load videos of all the major players including ebay. I listened with my back facing the computer. With process of elimination, I narrowed it down. This kept me from being biased towards the top names that are shoved down our throats on this forum.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by graveshaker
This is true. The way I chose my exhaust was a blind exhaust clip test. I had my son load videos of all the major players including ebay. I listened with my back facing the computer. With process of elimination, I narrowed it down. This kept me from being biased towards the top names that are shoved down our throats on this forum.
Which one won?

Even that method, which sounds like a good idea, would have the "true" sound varied by wind, surroundings, mic placement, etc.

I don't have a GoPro, and I wonder how good of a job my Samsung S4 could do at capturing a decent representation, but I will try once these storms let up (which could be tues.)

Old 12-27-2015, 07:42 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Which one won?

Even that method, which sounds like a good idea, would have the "true" sound varied by wind, surroundings, mic placement, etc.

I don't have a GoPro, and I wonder how good of a job my Samsung S4 could do at capturing a decent representation, but I will try once these storms let up (which could be tues.)
I chose the Ireland engineering from doing the blind test. Lucky for me it was only $360. The in person sound is much different than the videos and sound a lot better. It installed on my garage floor with no issues. I just couldn't see myself paying the high cost of the Miltek just because everyone here says so.

Last edited by graveshaker; 12-27-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by graveshaker
I chose the Ireland engineering from doing the blind test. Lucky for me it was only $360. The in person sound is much different than the videos and sound a lot better. It installed on my garage floor with no issues. I just couldn't see myself paying the high cost of the Miltek just because everyone here says so.
most of the exhausts sound the same and ie makes quality parts so I wouldn't hesitate. Had one on my e36 years ago.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks. I've had that Fiero (V6, stick) for over 20 years. Before that, three GTs.

They really got it right in '88, then killed it. Rumors persist that the next gen in the works could have eaten into Vette sales, and Chevy did not like the threat.

Hope your Holidays are great as well!
Nice, thanks.