R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Cam Decision?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:57 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Decision?

Who all is running cams? What are you guys running? I was looking at the RMW 246, but I do plan to tune and my car so I was curious if the 250 was the way to go. I like the idea that the cams are not re grinds, however I'm open to any advice or experience everyone else has had with cams. Currently I have a DDM intake, and a Magnaflow exhaust. I do plan to run a 16 or 17% pulley, and at least do JCW 380cc injectors, if not RMWs. The car more than likely won't be tracked but I may get a wild hair.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
Who all is running cams? What are you guys running? I was looking at the RMW 246, but I do plan to tune and my car so I was curious if the 250 was the way to go. I like the idea that the cams are not re grinds, however I'm open to any advice or experience everyone else has had with cams. Currently I have a DDM intake, and a Magnaflow exhaust. I do plan to run a 16 or 17% pulley, and at least do JCW 380cc injectors, if not RMWs. The car more than likely won't be tracked but I may get a wild hair.
I'm sure some others will chime in soon.....but from everything I've read/seen/heard.......swapping to an aftermarket cam will get you a little more power up top (which comes in handy at the track), but almost always there will be a loss in power and torque down low (which stinks for street driving). The mini's are already pretty gutless at low RPM's, I can't imagine having less power down low.

But who knows....maybe there are cams out there that will give you power and torque throughout the rev-range...not just at really high rpms.

Do the 17% pulley first......that's the best bang for the buck mod by far. Don't waste your money on different injectors unless you are going to be doing stuff like headers, big valve head, camshaft.....

Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I agree as I never liked regrinds. We've installed and used all different brands of cams, heck even have a shelf of cams that failed or were not ground correct. So we went out and go our own from brand new billet blanks with extra lift and offer a mild and race cam. Our mild is great for a daily driver as it give more torque low and mid range, plus still idles fine. Our race gives more, but idle bump or tuning is needed to make it idle.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mil...t-r52-r53.html

http://www.waymotorworks.com/way-rac...t-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Way, could you post up a before/after dyno graph of a mini that got one of the mild and/or race cams? It would be interesting to see how they compare to the stock cam.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:05 AM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Way, could you post up a before/after dyno graph of a mini that got one of the mild and/or race cams? It would be interesting to see how they compare to the stock cam.

Thanks!

I'm running ways race cam have had it in for about 6 months now. List of mods are as follows:
Megan header (no cat)
Alta intake
15% pulley
2.5" exhaust straight back (baffle pack and glass pack inline)
Quaife diff
WMW quick tune (plus he upped my idle later the cam did not like stopping at Red lights)
ATI super damper
Detroit tuned bpv

Here is my Dino chart, the Temps between the days were about the same and these runs were taken a week apart.

Also I did the dyno pulls in June, my butt dyno says that the colder fall weather is probably pushing me into the 200 territory.

Last edited by jeffster06; 01-09-2016 at 06:16 AM. Reason: More info /stupid auto correct
Old 01-09-2016, 06:09 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffster06
I'm running ways race cam have had it in for about 6 months now. List of mods are as follows: Megan header (no cat) Alta intake 15% pulley 2.5" exhaust straight back (baffle pack and glass pack inline) Quaife diff WMW quick tune (plus he upped my idle later cam did not like stopping at Red lights) ATI super damper Detroit tuned bpv Here is my Dino chart, the Temps between the days were about the same and these runs were taken a week apart.
those are good numbers, have any driving vids?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:14 AM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
those are good numbers, have any driving vids?
Nothing yet, probably after motd. I would have done video at the dyno but this place had me run my car.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Wow..that's impressive! 25hp gain.....and more power and torque everywhere. With that being the case for the race cam....why would anyone go with the mild cam?

Just out of curiosity.....what happened to your MPG?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 AM
jeffster06
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Wow..that's impressive! 25hp gain.....and more power and torque everywhere. With that being the case for the race cam....why would anyone go with the mild cam?

Just out of curiosity.....what happened to your MPG?
I think the mild cam would be more street able, the race cam takes some getting used to without a full tune. My gas milage went down about 2 mpg. But it's not my daily anymore so I don't mind lol.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I put on a street cam (along with other mods and a tune) thinking it would help at the low end, but the overall result follows the same pattern as what is posted above - Torque and horsepower are essentially the same as stock at 3000 rpm, and increase proportionally going to higher rpm, up to 210 hp at redline.

One nice feature in my setup is the torque and horsepower both increase all the way up. So, nice butt feeling (hmm, doesn't sound quite right).