R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Buying an R53

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 PM
CamPorta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an R53

Hello all,

I have wanted an R53 since I was young, and it is time to buy my first car. Therefore, I am looking at a bunch of R53s. Thus far, I have decided that I want a 2005 or 2006 MY R53 with around 50,000-60,000 miles (manual of course).

I was wondering what common issues there are with these vehicles, and what to look for when I am inspecting the vehicle before making a purchase (beyond the normal functionality of buttons and controls, etc.) and also if 2005-2006 is a good range to go with? I read an article on MotoringFile and from that I got that the '05-'06 R53s were the best of the generation. Would I necessarily have more problems with a 2004 for instance?

Another question I have is regarding the lighting package for the R53. Is it that great? Or do the normal halogens do the job okay (weight reduction lol)?

Thank you for any assistance!

Cam

Old 02-19-2016, 08:18 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Here's a great buyers guide for the R5x generation. It also talks about some of the mechanical and cosmetic updates MINI made to the cars over the years. Here's a guide discussing the non-facelift (pre-06/2004) and post-facelift (post-06/2004) R53s, along with some details on JCW tuning kits that were offered during the R5x generation.

I can't speak much on common problems because neither of my R5x MINIs has had any major issues. I have had a coolant tank fail, however. Those were a big problem with these cars and MINI never got them right despite updating the part in 2004 (I think). Oil leaks, especially the valve cover gasket, seem to be an issue for some people. The #3 terminal on the coil packs tend to corrode. My dad has been through 3 radiators with his R50, but I don't think that's a common issue. P/S pumps tend to leak, but there's actually a recall coming out soon so you can get that fixed for free if it has a problem. I'm sure some other people will be able to give you more info, these are just things we've had problems with.

Technically, many people would consider the 05/06 R53 to be the best of the generation, but honestly I don't think there's a big enough difference between pre- and post-facelift to justify turning yourself off to the 2004 and older cars. I have an '03 R53 and have loved it. It can often come down to aesthetic preference. The facelifted R53s have new steering wheels, and I really don't like the way they look compared to the perforated leather sport wheel my car has. Plus, the buttons are on the front, and I like them on the back so they're easier to use while I'm driving. I digress; you can read about that stuff in the facelift guide I linked.

In terms of lighting, I really like my factory xenons. My dad has the halogens on his R50 and they throw a lot less light than mine. Some people like finding the ones with halogens though because you can upgrade to projector lights a bit easier (paging ECS or Pelican for more info on that).

Good luck and good choice on the R53! It's the best generation MINI ever made, but sounds like you already knew that.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by sevin
I have had a coolant tank fail, however. Those were a big problem with these cars and MINI never got them right despite updating the part in 2004 (I think).
Here's a GOOGLE search page with several links aimed at solving the failed expansion tank problem. A car buddy just replaced his recently with a metal one. Easy installation except he needed a smaller set of hands (his co-pilot's) to get the bottom mounting bolts set.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...pansion%20tank
You're looking in the right place - '05 or '06 - for a lot of fun.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Donross
1st Gear
Before I bought mine, I watch this video:

I believe the gentleman's name is Kurt, but he highlights some key items to look at. I'd say i felt more informed of items alien to a New cooper S buyer for a used MINI. He also has many other videos that help you visually walk through many maintenance procedures.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 PM
GrabPatch
1st Gear
Pre-purchase inspection from an indy shop. My Mini has been a beast to keep up with - not saying I haven't enjoyed it . Bought at 63k miles March of last year. Feel free to PM me and I can share some of my experiences with you.

I thought I had a great car, until I took into the shop and was shown what all was wrong. Albeit, I've budgeted myself wisely and have continued to work on my car. Might as well be new by the time I'm done with it. Good luck, hope you find a good one!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It's a car that will require a lot of maintenance.

Either be prepared for much DIY or for expensive visits to your local mechanic.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
David.R53 means well and in some respects he is correct but his experience is with an '03 version and he's made lots of mods which can sometimes have a negative affect on other bits and pieces. When I first got mine all the horror stories posted here had me on high alert every time I turned over the engine. It's been 100K miles and more dang fun, a few trips to the shop being a cheap price to pay. Probably less than 10% of MINI owners post on forums so you know there's lot's more success stories you'll never hear. Don't give up the search.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:15 AM
sevin
6th Gear
At the end of the day, every car is different and some are more reliable than others. Our 2002 R50 has never had a belt, suspension component, or even spark plugs replaced in over 180,000 miles and 14 years. This may not be your experience, but such is the nature of cars.

But remember that it is a German car, and parts will come at a premium.

Last edited by sevin; 02-21-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:34 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 497 Likes on 413 Posts
You've never had an issue, or you're still running the original belt and plugs with 180K?

Old 02-21-2016, 03:13 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
You've never had an issue, or you're still running the original belt and plugs with 180K?
Original belt and plugs with no issues.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Original belt and plugs with no issues.
You remember seeing any long skinny black things laying on the road on your way to work or back from the supermarket? Those are belts. You definitely do not want yours to entertain the other drivers, they don't last forever.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:34 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I do mean well, but I am also being realistic. Here is a direct quote from consumer reports reliability analysis.

" but the Mini Cooper S has the worst history among all cars we have tracked over the past decade."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-buy/index.htm

Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
You remember seeing any long skinny black things laying on the road on your way to work or back from the supermarket? Those are belts. You definitely do not want yours to entertain the other drivers, they don't last forever.
I know, I know. But that R50 is not my responsibility so my dad will deal with that whenever he deems appropriate. My guess is he'll wait for it to become one of the long skinny black things laying in the road before he replaces it.

Originally Posted by David.R53
I do mean well, but I am also being realistic. Here is a direct quote from consumer reports reliability analysis.

" but the Mini Cooper S has the worst history among all cars we have tracked over the past decade."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-buy/index.htm
Consumer Reports is a really helpful service, but when you've got your heart set on a vehicle for reasons other than just transportation, you make some exceptions. And like I said, every car is different. Both our 1st gen MINIs have had no major problems, and my dad has had his since 2002. You are right, they are statistically not reliable and factually more expensive to work on, but there are gems all around.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I know, I know. But that R50 is not my responsibility so my dad will deal with that whenever he deems appropriate. My guess is he'll wait for it to become one of the long skinny black things laying in the road before he replaces it.
That explains a lot. Had I known that from the get-go, my comment would have been entirely different. My dad bragged about reading the instructions on something or other many years ago and I told him outright that I'd lost all respect for him because of that. There's no accounting for the species. I just wonder what my boys say about me.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by David.R53
I do mean well, but I am also being realistic.
I know you do and my comment was intended to point out to the OP that anecdotal experiences can have unexpected results like they did for me when I first joined the herd. I remember a point made in a college class discussing fallacies of logic that went: "All Indians walk in single file. I know, because the one that I saw, did."

Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
At the end of the day, every car is different and some are more reliable than others. Our 2002 R50 has never had a belt, suspension component, or even spark plugs replaced in over 180,000 miles and 14 years. This may not be your experience, but such is the nature of cars.

But remember that it is a German car, and parts will come at a premium.
Parts for MINIs can be very affordable if you shop them. Repairs are more but not a death knell if you find a great independent shop. As for addressing the serpentine belt, the costs associated with a broken belt ie. being stranded, smoking the engine due to overheating and the tow beyond what insurance pays far offsets a new belt. Plugs should be changed around 90k max according to the best indie shop in the midwest. You will be pleased with the performance and gas mileage with new plugs. Waiting for a failure is very expensive. Tell your Dad that it is better to be penny wise than pound foolish.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Here's a great buyers guide for the R5x generation. It also talks about some of the mechanical and cosmetic updates MINI made to the cars over the years. Here's a guide discussing the non-facelift (pre-06/2004) and post-facelift (post-06/2004) R53s, along with some details on JCW tuning kits that were offered during the R5x generation.

I can't speak much on common problems because neither of my R5x MINIs has had any major issues. I have had a coolant tank fail, however. Those were a big problem with these cars and MINI never got them right despite updating the part in 2004 (I think). Oil leaks, especially the valve cover gasket, seem to be an issue for some people. The #3 terminal on the coil packs tend to corrode. My dad has been through 3 radiators with his R50, but I don't think that's a common issue. P/S pumps tend to leak, but there's actually a recall coming out soon so you can get that fixed for free if it has a problem. I'm sure some other people will be able to give you more info, these are just things we've had problems with.

Technically, many people would consider the 05/06 R53 to be the best of the generation, but honestly I don't think there's a big enough difference between pre- and post-facelift to justify turning yourself off to the 2004 and older cars. I have an '03 R53 and have loved it. It can often come down to aesthetic preference. The facelifted R53s have new steering wheels, and I really don't like the way they look compared to the perforated leather sport wheel my car has. Plus, the buttons are on the front, and I like them on the back so they're easier to use while I'm driving. I digress; you can read about that stuff in the facelift guide I linked.

In terms of lighting, I really like my factory xenons. My dad has the halogens on his R50 and they throw a lot less light than mine. Some people like finding the ones with halogens though because you can upgrade to projector lights a bit easier (paging ECS for more info on that).

Good luck and good choice on the R53! It's the best generation MINI ever made, but sounds like you already knew that.

That's a good start, the halogen from the factory are very dim compared to the factory Xenon, I know , I have factory Xenon's on my 2005' R52 .

Good guide are posted the 2005+ has the updated interior options , and the updated bumpers for the R50 and R52 Cooper ( NON S ). Also the 5 speed transmissions were updated. Headlight and taillight options were updated also.

I would get 05+ with xenon's, heated seats, and Harman / Kardon Stereo is a must.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CamPorta
Hello all,

I have wanted an R53 since I was young, and it is time to buy my first car. Therefore, I am looking at a bunch of R53s. Thus far, I have decided that I want a 2005 or 2006 MY R53 with around 50,000-60,000 miles (manual of course).

I was wondering what common issues there are with these vehicles, and what to look for when I am inspecting the vehicle before making a purchase (beyond the normal functionality of buttons and controls, etc.) and also if 2005-2006 is a good range to go with? I read an article on MotoringFile and from that I got that the '05-'06 R53s were the best of the generation. Would I necessarily have more problems with a 2004 for instance?

Another question I have is regarding the lighting package for the R53. Is it that great? Or do the normal halogens do the job okay (weight reduction lol)?

Thank you for any assistance!

Cam
2005-2006 are good years to go with. Whatever year R53 you end up getting, we have a lot of great tech articles on our site that can help you work on your MINI if you ever need to. They also have a lot of great knowledge about common issues. Check them out. You could also purchase a Bentley Manual HERE as it will definitely come in handy as well. You read the buyers guide, which will give you a great starting point for what to look out for. Be sure to post up some prospects for us as this community will be very helpful during your search.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 PM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just flew 1500 miles and drove back with a 2006 R52 JCW.

Got a great deal on it since it is very well optioned.

Run the VIN on the car to see what the build date and options are:
http://bimmer.work

Aside from all of the money I have dumped into mods, my car came with the following "standard" Gen1 issues:

Control arm bushings, failed inspection.
Leaking power steering hoses.
Leaking crank position sensor
Burned out low speed fan resistor.
Struts are toast.
Retail on all this stuff would have cost thousands to have fixed. I have done all of it for about $500 in parts.

I paid $11,500 for this well optioned factory JCW with 75k miles.

This is a hobby for me and I have enjoyed modding and doing the work. If I had bought this as a daily driver with no intention of working on it myself, I would have been pretty pissed to discover all of this stuff.

I now know more of what to look for after the fact. A PPI on a lift will really help you figure things out knowing what to look for.

HTH

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIM_GRAHAM
I just flew 1500 miles and drove back with a 2006 R52 JCW.
Pictures!!! 'Without pictures, it didn't happen' to quote a NAM old timer.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:50 AM
JIM_GRAHAM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Pictures!!! 'Without pictures, it didn't happen' to quote a NAM old timer.
How rude I was!

These are pics at the dealership before I drove from TN to NH with my son. It was a great bonding experience ( with the Mini and my son).

I was totally hooked when I arrived to find a JCW Strut Bar and Carbon Scoop on the car. It also had a Mini car cover in the trunk as well as the factory wind deflector.

The car is already morphing itself: Aero grill, black mirror caps, JCW Boot handle, door sills, shift ****, shift boot and ebrake boot (red stitching), dechromed interior trim (replaced with Anthracite).

My wife complains that she can't get in the door of the house because there are always boxes in the way! Little does she know she will be climbing over 4 R112 JCW Challenge wheels in the next few days. I may find myself sleeping in the garage after that discovery.

It is risky buying a car so far away. I bought round trip tickets on Southwest (return refundable) in case it did not work out. The dealer picked us up at Nashville Airport.
I had prenegotiated the price assuming when I got off the airplane my leverage was GONE.

I forgot to mention above that the CEL light came on during the ride back and it was an O2 sensor that got replaced under 10 year 100k along with the passenger air bag seat mat.

IMHO Gen 1 is the best of the bunch. 05-06 (up to 08 R52).
I tried to like Gen 2 interiors, but I just couldn't stomach the Speedo cluster. They are just to George Jetson (dating myself as a 50 something).

Anyways, not trying to hijack the OP post, but there are a few good take aways for the OP in my dialog.

Again, best of luck to the OP finding his soul Mini.

BTW, the VIN check site I posted above is critical to verifying build specs when shopping on line at distance. I can't count the number of cars that were listed as Leather that show Leatherette on the build sheet. You also find things like LSD, and other things that pictures can miss. I also stumbled across several JCW that were not identified as such by looking for the red calipers in the pictures then checking build sheets.

Attached Thumbnails Buying an R53-2006_mini_cooper_s_pepper_white_in_lebanon_tennessee_1190006445022260935.jpg   Buying an R53-635820827164131111.jpg   Buying an R53-9565.jpeg   Buying an R53-635820827188819047.jpg  

Last edited by JIM_GRAHAM; 02-24-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Thats pepper white MCSC looks great , very nice find with the JCW tuning kit, brace, and brakes ( looks like ). Love the wbe spokes , had them on my R56. Someone loaded up some options back in the day.
Very , very nice. As a R52 owner I congratulate you a a nice find.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Beautiful!!
Funny thing, mine came from Nashville as well. Got it with just over 20K and we just turned over 100K this past Monday. You will love topless motoring (try phrasing that differently around your gentle bride) especially in your part of the country. We took an extended tour up around there a couple years ago.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabPatch
Pre-purchase inspection from an indy shop.
^This^ is the key.