R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Looking for a tuner/mechanic near NYC. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 PM
myr53isok
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a tuner/mechanic near NYC. Please help!

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the MINI scene and I was wondering if anyone knew any good tuners or mechanics around NYC to help me mod my car. I drive an 04 MCS with 45,000 miles on it. The only mod i have on it is a CAI. I'm planning on getting a 15% pulley, exhaust and hopefully an RMW tune. Also, any suggestions on mods would also be great. Thanks guys!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Helix in Philly.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David.R53
Helix in Philly.
+1

Well worth the drive the drive to Helix.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:10 PM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
Helix!

Originally Posted by myr53isok
Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the MINI scene and I was wondering if anyone knew any good tuners or mechanics around NYC to help me mod my car. I drive an 04 MCS with 45,000 miles on it. The only mod i have on it is a CAI. I'm planning on getting a 15% pulley, exhaust and hopefully an RMW tune. Also, any suggestions on mods would also be great. Thanks guys!
I too lived in NYC and any major work that I needed on my r53, Helix was the place to go. You will not be disappointed. Tell them Ahmed sent you!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Can also use this site HERE to help find something in your area as well. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-11-2016, 11:42 AM
fixedsix
2nd Gear
Got to Helix!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:55 AM
bebebleu
Neutral
I'm in NYC, and am looking for an alternative to the horrors of dealer repeair.

Everyone raves about Helix, but what do you do when you bring your car there? Leave it and take the train back? Are they worth a round-trip train to Philly and back?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM
bebebleu
Neutral
Did you go to Helix, or what?

Originally Posted by myr53isok
If so, what'd you think of them? Or did you go elsewhere? I'm looking at three different mechanics, much closer to NYC (Brooklyn, LIC and Newark), that seem to raves in other forums.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I was there for one of Jan's tune days. They identified and fixed another problem very easily. I just hung around that day. I'm sure I wouldn't drive 150 miles for an oil change, but for things that require expertise, they seem to be very good.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:08 PM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bebebleu
I'm in NYC, and am looking for an alternative to the horrors of dealer repeair.

Everyone raves about Helix, but what do you do when you bring your car there? Leave it and take the train back? Are they worth a round-trip train to Philly and back?
What are you looking to do? you can wait for it if it's not a big labor intensive job.
i'd recommend using them since they're experts in minis...i still haven't found a good mini shop in nyc.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:01 AM
bebebleu
Neutral
Thanks for the feedback!
A friend used to regularly attend Jan's events, and helped him do his own work on his BMW. Indeed, the irony is that I'd want that level of expertise on the big-ticket/systemic issues, but driving that distance to get it might not always be possible. Still--it's remarkable how universally they're loved.

This time around, I'm just out of warranty, and even though I'd replaced the battery with awful Mini of Manhattan in late December (with all the computer resetting implied), the instrument panel remained unlit the other day, and since I live in Manhattan, the dealer was the closest place I could take it without knowing how much gas was in the tank, how fast I was going, or whether anyone was seeing my indicators. So I'm thinking it may be fuse work--or rather hoping. But I promised myself I'd have identified a worthy mechanic by now!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM
bebebleu
Neutral
Originally Posted by itchynscratchy
What are you looking to do? you can wait for it if it's not a big labor intensive job.
i'd recommend using them since they're experts in minis...i still haven't found a good mini shop in nyc.
As I said to David.R53, I think I have a fuse issue, since my instrument panel doesn't come up (speedo, tach, fuel, etc.) after a December battery replacement and re-calibration of the battery. So going to Helix in that state would be tricky.

Here's who I'm looking at around Manhattan, where I'm located:

MINHS Brooklyn (Gowanus)
Bimmers Motor Group (LIC)
ECP Auto (Downtown Newark - Ironbound)
Tyrolsport (Ridgewood, Queens)

Thus far, each seems equally qualified, and everyone who goes to them seems to not want to go anywhere else. With my last car, I had a guy in BK Heights who was a gem of a mechanic, and we enjoyed a very long, happy relationship--until real estate developers made him an offer his retirement couldn't refuse!

If anyone's heard anything about any of these, I'd appreciate feedback!

Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM
itchynscratchy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bebebleu
As I said to David.R53, I think I have a fuse issue, since my instrument panel doesn't come up (speedo, tach, fuel, etc.) after a December battery replacement and re-calibration of the battery. So going to Helix in that state would be tricky.

Here's who I'm looking at around Manhattan, where I'm located:

MINHS Brooklyn (Gowanus)
Bimmers Motor Group (LIC)
ECP Auto (Downtown Newark - Ironbound)
Tyrolsport (Ridgewood, Queens)

Thus far, each seems equally qualified, and everyone who goes to them seems to not want to go anywhere else. With my last car, I had a guy in BK Heights who was a gem of a mechanic, and we enjoyed a very long, happy relationship--until real estate developers made him an offer his retirement couldn't refuse!

If anyone's heard anything about any of these, I'd appreciate feedback!

i'll send you a PM on one i know on the list.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:27 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Yah i don't trust Stealerships or people working on my car. I do everything myself. Have you tried to replace the fuse or you are assuming it the fuse?

Yah the is a crazy trip to get your car fixed. I'm waiting for Helix to have there tune event then i will be getting a custom tune from them.

This is my build thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-turtel.html

Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM
bebebleu
Neutral
I'm making a (safe) assumption it's a fuse issue, but verifying via the dealer who put the new battery in, since that's the only thing that's been changed recently. I wasn't in a position to start swapping in fuses to test my theory--I was driving the car when the instrument panel disappeared. I was too conveniently near the dealer when it happened.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 AM
bebebleu
Neutral
Okay. Just heard from Mini of Manhattan. Apparently my entire instrument panel is gone, needs replacement--as if it's simply burned out.

I've heard of IPs burning out, in general, but can't find anything specific to that in any of the forums; I know they can be rebuilt, but only by those who do that work, specifically.

Now that they have had the car three days and finally diagnosed it, they have me over a barrel. I'd roll the dice and take it to Gowanus, but who knows whether I'd hear anything differently. As it is, it won't be done until Wednesday.

This is what I get for not immediately identifying a worthy alternative to MM. I'm sure of it. I'm really over $1,000 lessons via that cesspool.