R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So while changing the oil on my newest MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
New pan alone is over $200, plus gasket, and may be killer price drain bolt. Used pan you are likely got highway robbery unless you go to a junkyard yourself.

I think many of this drain hole is stripped is MINI screwed up on the required torque spec, or too many trips to discount In&Out Lube, or it comes with the stupid MINI oil temp gauge where it uses a VDO sender as drain bolt.
For me, drop some $$$ for a new pan and gasket (or drop all your oil whilst driving and get a new engine/car)

Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
AoxoMoxoA,
Please don't sweat it. We both just try to be helpful.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
the price of convenience

Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I will give it that it is an engineered design that works. For how infrequent I change oil I don't see the need. Additionally I am paranoid. I can sleep at night for a drain nut that is torque to tens of pound-feet not coming loose on me. Just don't let your neighborhood bad kids know you have a quick drain.

I was actually slowly warming up the the idea of the Fumoto engine drain valve. I even put one in my Amazon wishlist. And I found you can buy this $3.95 plastic detent that should be included with every valve the seller gouge you for $4.50 shipping.

Then I found this Verified Purchase comment by Matt on Amazon:

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the ease of use of this product
December 31, 2015
Verified Purchase

"I love the ease of use of this product, and have used it on a few cars now. That being said I feel the hose clamp/plastic clip should be included and its use encouraged, instead of marketed as an "unnecessary piece of mind product for weirdos".

Everyone says it is impossible for a foreign object to strike and open this valve, and that it has never happened, but it happened to me last night. I drive a VW GTI and we had a lot of snow a couple days ago. I'm assuming packed snow/ice hit the valve and opened it partially on my way to the store. When I left the store after shopping I started my car and the engine was louder than normal. As soon as I gave it gas to back up the check engine light came on, my dashboard said "low oil pressure engine off now!" and it was "rattly" sounding. I got out and noticed that my engine oil was all over the pavement. I looked underneath my car and the valve was partially open.

I'm hoping that I don't have permanent damage to my motor, but the experience was scary. If I continue to use the valve I will use a different gasket so that it will be properly tightened without the release lever pointing forward, and I will use the hose clip to hold the lever down. I love the product but I'm just not sure the convenience is worth the possibility of having to buy a new engine due to damage from low oil."

No thanks. I rather have the messy oil change than risk an unlikely Powerball win; and I never buy lottery tickets because I am a student of statistics.