R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Questions from a new '06 R50 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 AM
iterator5
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from a new '06 R50 owner.

So yeah, just picked up an '06 Cooper in all around great shape.

The car only had one owner previous to myself and as far as I can tell he was very up front about the maintenance history (receipts kept, carfax reports verify most of it, etc..)

Assuming that the CVT is a ticking time bomb is there any kind of preventative maintenance I can keep on to go overboard in keeping it well running? I know it says the fluid is lifetime, but would it be worth finding someone willing to do a flush on the CVT fluid?

Is there a preferred oil type in the community for keeping the engine healthy? What kind of service intervals seem to be optimal with them?

Anything else I should just go ahead and service regardless?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Change the fluid every 20k, could find a manual and not worry about it.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Some CVT have gone 100,00+ miles....many less...
the ones that tend to last the longest have had regular fluid changes to keep the metal belt in good shape.
Yes...do get the fluid changed regularly.... And it will need the tranny's computers adaptations reset for best results with the new fluid....
It is a risk...but everything in life is...enjoy your car!!

MINI at one point called the fluid lifetime....but backtracked pretty early...
even in 2004 when I ordered my 2005, failures were mounting, and I remember my local dealer was already doing fluid changes on them....
REGULAR fluid changes is the single best thing you can do IMO.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Even Toyota calls their transmission fluid a lifetime fluid with a service interval of changing it at 100k. Doesn't sound very lifetime does it? For the CVT there is a DIY PDF posted in this NAM thread HERE. You can stick with Genuine fluid options HERE or many MINI enthusiasts run Red Line Non-Slip CVT fluid HERE. Also, other services to do would be the cooling system flush, if it hasn't been done per the documents the previous owner provided. The cooling system is an often neglected area.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Even Toyota calls their transmission fluid a lifetime fluid with a service interval of changing it at 100k. Doesn't sound very lifetime does it?
I have an FJ that developed a shimmy in 5th, very lightly. I thought it was a wheel weight missing...ended up being transmission because I DID NOT change any fluid...traded it for a newer FJ. 125K miles for one that was 34K.
Thanks for the reminder and I plan to do a flush on this one !!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 AM
iterator5
Neutral
We don't have a MINI dealership in our city, what should I ask my mechanics specifically to make sure that they're doing exactly what I need them to do as far as the CVT flush is concerned?

What exactly is required for the computer reset? Is that something I can do on my end, or should I make sure they're knowledgeable about that area as well?

Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 AM
iterator5
Neutral
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Even Toyota calls their transmission fluid a lifetime fluid with a service interval of changing it at 100k. Doesn't sound very lifetime does it? For the CVT there is a DIY PDF posted in this NAM thread HERE. You can stick with Genuine fluid options HERE or many MINI enthusiasts run Red Line Non-Slip CVT fluid HERE. Also, other services to do would be the cooling system flush, if it hasn't been done per the documents the previous owner provided. The cooling system is an often neglected area.
I've got proof the coolant was flushed within the last year. Is there anything picky about it that might warrant a flush regardless?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:57 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by iterator5
I've got proof the coolant was flushed within the last year. Is there anything picky about it that might warrant a flush regardless?
Coolant system and brake system is pretty normal....
Only thing is being sure to get the air bubbles out...obviously done if you are running without overheating...and ensuringvthe fluids are not mixed if different ones are used...a flush avoids this by the nature of the volume of the change.

Changing the CVT fluid is in kinda finiky
Since it was "sealed" and was not intended to be changed....
Typically it involves sucking out the fluid and refilling it with the same volume of fluid heated to the same temp...other techniques exist, but that one is the simplest to understand... No dipstick to check the level is one of the challenges...
The fact mini sometimes covers 50% the cost to replace a failed grant if regularly flushed at the dealer as "good will" means many shops will send you to the dealer to have it done....
Also the OEM fluid is hard to get in smaller volumes and a failure WILL LIKELY happen, so liability wise many shops don't want to be at fault if they do it wrong or with a different fluid...

Old 05-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Change the fluid every 20k, could find a manual and not worry about it.
It's not too late, it still works and still has value.

Good luck if you decide to keep it, hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

The most important thing about the engine oil is to check it regularly. Everyone uses something different, castrol, amsoil, I think mobile 1 European spec oil is a good choice

Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ti22fjc
I have an FJ that developed a shimmy in 5th, very lightly. I thought it was a wheel weight missing...ended up being transmission because I DID NOT change any fluid...traded it for a newer FJ. 125K miles for one that was 34K.
Thanks for the reminder and I plan to do a flush on this one !!!!
Anytime and definitely get that fluid changed with the new one. Especially since the FJ is no longer in production!

Originally Posted by iterator5
Good. No, just make sure you keep on it and don't neglect it. In general, it's recommended that you flush and clean out your cooling system once every 36 months, or approximately every three years. I usually do this about every 2 years myself.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 AM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The CVT tranny fluid is a special high traction fluid and not a regular ATF. Make sure the new fluid is not just ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

It isn't too hard to change. I made it harder by removing the battery and air filter on top so I could access the add fluid hole.

There is a nice system to push it into the hole in the bottom front fill hole. That has a vertical tube that overflows when the fluid level is right. I'll make that up that fill thing next time.

The manufacturer recommends every 35,000 miles. I think I got the fluid from the dealer but it's been a couple of years.

Good luck,
Peter