R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2006 Mini Cooper concept...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004 | 05:53 PM
speltzer
|
5th Gear
2006 Mini Cooper concept...

If it's not broke, why fix it!

FROM AUTOCAR...

"Not content with the success of the three-year-old Mini, BMW is busy developing its successor. Project R56 will sire up to four Mini models; the first will go on sale in little more than two years.

First up in September 2006 is the replacement for today’s three-door hatch (shown above in our artist’s impression). In March 2007 a five-door hatchback will arrive offering more interior space and – at last – usable rear seats, thanks to a wheelbase that is 120mm longer.

A new convertible to replace the just launched soft-top will arrive in April 2008; an estate variant not unlike the Mini Wagons exhibited by Castagna at this year's Geneva show (right) is awaiting approval from BMW chairman Helmut Panke. In early sketches it harks back to the original Mini estate, with van-style rear doors.

There’s little wrong with the current Mini’s styling, so the design strategy is ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’. The retro look continues, with a classic BMW soft facelift and only detail changes.

However, Munich is planning to stem the high production costs of today’s Oxfordshire-built Mini. BMW will outsource more modules (component sets such as front suspension) and plans a clip-on plastic roof cover so owners can change roof decals throughout the life of the car. Cunningly, it also means cars won’t have to pass through the paint shop twice – an expensive and time-consuming process.

More serious changes will be made under the skin. The Brazilian-built 1.6-litre Tritec petrol engine will be replaced by lighter, more compact 16-valve 1.4- and 1.6-litre four-cylinder powerplants engineered in a joint venture between BMW and Peugeot. These so-called Prince engines will be available with 75bhp and 90bhp outputs from the 1.4-litre, 115bhp and 170bhp outputs from the 1.6-litre. The 1.6 is earmarked for the successor to the Cooper S. The air scoop on the current model will be replaced by a bonnet bulge.

Mini’s diesel strategy is less clear. Today’s Toyota-sourced 75bhp 1.4-litre four-cylinder common-rail engine sells well, but Autocar sources suggest that parent company BMW may move to a cheaper Peugeot oil-burner: the Ford-PSA four-cylinder 1.4-litre engine, which is due to receive a second-generation common-rail system and more efficient turbocharging in 2006.

New engines will be matched by new gearboxes. The five-speed manual in the One and Cooper is likely to be dropped in favour of a standard six-speeder, and buyers can opt for a six-speed auto or an upgraded continuously variable transmission.

Don’t expect much change to the front-drive chassis, already one of the sharpest-handling in the class. The new car will retain the front MacPherson strut and rear multi-link set-up.

More models and growing demand for premium small cars has BMW ambitiously you can see, the changes will be evolutionary regarding the next body style R56 Mini Cooper."

Old 09-05-2004 | 07:50 PM
Thrilhouse
5th Gear
I would actually be very happy with that design...it gives up none of its MINIness, yet looks decidedly more aggressive. I do like the headlight clusters, they kinda look Elise-ish to me.

Old 09-05-2004 | 09:12 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
This is so typical of what passes for journalism these days - a little rumor, a little photoshop, and a lot of imagination. Isn't it amazing how they turn no facts into a nice image they made up completely out of the air? Cars generally have a 5 year model cycle. As soon as they come out they start work on the next version. Pretty soon we will be seeing the disguised mules for the 2007's. To assume that the 2006's will be all new is stretching the imagination - the 2005's are already in production. If everything was going to change in 2006, I doubt that some of the changes made this year would be cost effective.

Old 09-05-2004 | 09:16 PM
flyingsluzer
2nd Gear
Hmm... I'm not sure about that. It's lost its trademark "smile".

Old 09-05-2004 | 09:23 PM
lotsie
Banned
If and when they offer a turbocharged MC,I'm in

Old 09-05-2004 | 09:40 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
I've seen the "pic" before... and I am not impressed.

Old 09-06-2004 | 07:35 AM
Blade
1st Gear
Me likey

Old 09-06-2004 | 08:00 AM
Storm180
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooperJD
I've seen the "pic" before... and I am not impressed.
I'm not impressed.....but I also don't hate it, either. I'd be happy with it. :smile:

Old 09-06-2004 | 02:54 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hopefully the grill won't look like that with all those sharp angles. Also, I hope it doesn't grow in length, as I like it like it is. Short is cute but longer is uglier! Guess I better order the 2006 before the new one comes out (in Sep 06, which is really an 07).

Old 09-06-2004 | 03:23 PM
speltzer
|
5th Gear
The rumor is that the new Cooper will be within the length to compete in the WRC (World Rally Championship) because the current model is not. BMW would love to compete with the Subaru WRX Impreza and the hot Mitsubishi Evo (271 hp out of a 2.0 liter engine!) for sales and marketing purposes.

Old 09-06-2004 | 04:45 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I just love to watch those rally races. Great picture speltzer. To compete, MINI needs a more powerful engine and I've heard the new engine will keep the same hp numbers for the various models, i.e., MC with 115 hp, MCS with 170 hp. Even with JCW bumping it up to 210 or more, I doubt if that will be enough, unless the weight is substantially less than the Subaru and Mitsu. However, I doubt it will weigh much less. It's a heavy car for as small as it is. The all wheel drive adds some weight to those cars, though.

I also heard the engine will still be 1.6 liter, but someone else thought it was going to be a 1.8. I'm wondering about all that now given what you're saying speltzer. For rally competition, do they use stock engines or mod them? :smile:

Old 09-08-2004 | 04:56 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
I'm not one that likes change very much, despite it's inevitability, but I DO like the look of the car in the picture, and if that was the current MINI, I'd still likely be buying one. Food for thought, when it comes to our gripes about relatively minor options changes, eh?

Of course, this is all still speculation. I'm happy that BMW is happy with the MINI, and that they intend to carry on with the line. That being said, a lot could go wrong with some of the potential changes I'm hearing about. None of this is going to happen right away, so I think we can all relax. But, then again...stranger things have happened, haven't they? You tell me, because right now...I've no idea.

I'm picking up my new MINI in just a few weeks, so I guess none of this really matters too much. If I'm still driving my MINI by then (which is the plan), it'll all be very interesting to watch these developments as they unfold. An AWD MINI would certainly be neat, as would a bit more space in the back. But, too many of those sorts of changes, and the MINI isn't really a MINI anymore. I'm curious to know what kinds of vehicles will be in competition with MINI by that time. Heck, maybe one of THOSE vehicles will be much neater than the MINI, and we'll all be trading our old MINI's in for...whatever car it is.

Then, there's the ongoing, never going away in our lifetime, issue of fuel prices, and I suspect that's going to start having a serious effect on automotive design from here on out. Of course, that's what they said in the 70's, eh?

Old 09-08-2004 | 05:05 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
The more changes they make... the more rare will be the earlier models!!! Bwaaaaaa-haaaa-haaaaa! Forget resale, I'm talking unique!

Dogspeed.

Old 09-08-2004 | 07:31 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by CooperBeagle
The more changes they make... the more rare will be the earlier models!!! Bwaaaaaa-haaaa-haaaaa! Forget resale, I'm talking unique!

Dogspeed.
I too, like thinking that this MC will last me foreverBut as my 100 mile a day daily driver,I,m thinking that the new engine,tranny,and turbo in an MC,regardless of what they do with the tail lights,would be a blast

Old 09-09-2004 | 06:21 AM
Dave&Stacy
2nd Gear
Speltzer & Jazzmini:

This might be a little off the subject, but I wanted to respond to the WRC comment about the next gen. Mini.

As a performance rally driver in the United States, I can't see the Mini in its current configuration competing at the WRC level. Some massive design changes would need to be made to make it remotely competitive. Here are the reasons:

1) Drive configuration - Whether you want to admit it or not, the Mini would have to be AWD to compete. If driver skill is equal, a AWD will always trumps a 2wd on the dirt. It has do to with traction dynamics and carrying speed in turns. Go check the SCCA ProRally results. The closest 2wd to the top is the Dodge SRT-4 and believe me...Doug Shepard is one of the best drivers in NA.

2) Power - They will need to move to a 2.0L engine to compete. In the WRC, horsepower is limited to 300 bhp, I believe. We all know that Torque...not horsepower...wins races. Mini would need a larger displacement engine to generate the torque necessary to keep up with the Subys and Evos off the line. To put that torque to the ground effectively...they need an AWD setup (see #1).

3) Ground Clearance/Suspension - While the Mini handles superbly as a road car, the suspension needs significant attention for rally duty. The rear links are weak as are the control arms. In addition, much fabrication would need to be done to get the ride height up where it needs to be. Believe me, you don't want to try and clear some of the rocks I've seen on stages at 70+ mph in a Mini.

It can be done though! Eugene & Felix Wong are rallying a Cooper out west in the WSRC. I have spoken with Eugene and he echoed the issues of suspension and ground clearance.

The mini could be a good Super 1600 or JWRC car with the right development. A Mini Cooper with a 1.6L NA motor fits right in to the Super 1600 class, which is basically a primer for WRC. Most of your good drivers (Sebastien Loeb, Colin McRae, Alister McRae, Marko Martin) came out of Super 1600 or JWRC.

-Dave & Stacy
http://www.geocities.com/smsrallysport/

Old 09-09-2004 | 06:37 AM
countrym
6th Gear
That photo-chop is ugly. As mentioned earlier, it looks like an Elise stuck on a MINI. Blech. Give me back my round headlights, please.

I am very happy that I got a 2004. Original style, without the early model year bugs. I like my small rearview mirror and first generation tail lights, thanks. Not to mention, Indi Blue.

I think I'll be keeping this car forever. :smile:

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:16 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'm pretty happy with my MINI, too, especially since its a Cooper and the '05 styling has changed the Cooper look up a bit. I'd want to keep it forever, as well, but I have this nagging feeling that I won't realistically be able to. I'm afraid this comprehensive maintenance program is going to spoil me horribly, and who knows what the cost of maintenance might be as the years progress? Things break, and it is a machine after all...

But however MINIs evolve, I'll probably adapt, too. I just can't see putting anything else on the road, especially when one considers the combined practicality of a MINI with the motoring fun which is so totally engaging!! I'm afraid my expectations as far as motoring is concerned have been forever altered.

As for variants...I'd love to see MINI take the lead on a zero-emission vehicle. As for wagon, cabrio, or pickup versions, I'll be one of those who stays w/ the hard top coup. It must be love.....

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:25 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
"A joint venture between BMW and Peugeot." Great, the two companies that produced the two biggest steaming turd cars I have ever owned are getting together to build an engine.

Old 09-09-2004 | 07:57 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Evolution is a good thing, imo...I posted another variation to this several weeks ago with minimum ground clearance for road racing...this version is more road/rally friendly. AWD and more room up front for good things.

Old 09-10-2004 | 05:14 PM
speltzer
|
5th Gear
Or how about the 2006-7 Mini Cooper "estate" wagon?

Old 09-10-2004 | 05:38 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
I too, like thinking that this MC will last me foreverBut as my 100 mile a day daily driver,I,m thinking that the new engine,tranny,and turbo in an MC,regardless of what they do with the tail lights,would be a blast
With 3 Neons in the family, two of which push 250k, and my Coop which is pushing 52k, I feel sorry for the newer french motor owners. Daimler has one heck of a motor.

As for the "new" forecast. Whatever. If the badged MINI is still being built by 2008, I'd be surprised. Here comes the 1 Series.

Old 09-10-2004 | 07:16 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goin440
With 3 Neons in the family, two of which push 250k, and my Coop which is pushing 52k, I feel sorry for the newer french motor owners. Daimler has one heck of a motor.
You're lucky. My wife's NEON didn't make it to 40k miles before the engine blew and I knew two people with Dodge Caravans with blown engines before 50k miles. I personally would never buy a Chrysler or Dodge car b/c of their crappy engines on non-performance cars.

Old 09-10-2004 | 07:20 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOPERation

Sign me up for this one!

Old 09-10-2004 | 07:24 PM
lotsie
Banned
I feel that any changes that don't affect the Core of the MINI will not be bad for the car in the long term.
My main reason for buying this MINI was because it is SAFE,it gets great MPG's,and it's FUN

Old 09-10-2004 | 08:17 PM
speltzer
|
5th Gear
The Tritec is a great bulletproof engine. When BMW decided to offer the JCW 200hp kit and offer a factory warranty, you know it's a damn good engine. The bottom end on the MCS version is nearly bulletproof from articles I have read.

115 hp base Tritec engine

Quick Reply: R50/53 2006 Mini Cooper concept...