R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Turn off Fault code/light with aftermarket seats/original seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:27 AM
mopack
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn off Fault code/light with aftermarket seats/original seats?

Hi there,

I was told that if I wanted to install aftermarket seat (Sparco, Momo, etc...) in my R53 Mini Cooper S, that I had to get a OBD2 scanner to turn off the airbag light. However I was just told that prehaps I could just pull the battery, install the original seat and then hook up the battery again, then the light would go away. Is this true? here in Sweden er have a yearly Control of the car (much like MOT in England) and we are not allowed to have aftermarket seats and no warning lights can be on, that is an automatic fail. So my question is, will pulling the battery, installing the original seats again, hooking up the battery again delete this fauly code/light? Thanks for any and all answers,

Best Regards, Alex

Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by mopack
will pulling the battery, installing the original seats again, hooking up the battery again delete this faulty code/light?
I don't know if it works differently in Europe, but here in the US, an airbag warning light (such as by disconnecting a seat) will not reset by itself even after you fix the condition that caused the fault. Once an airbag warning light is triggered, the warning will continue to stay on until it is reset with an OBD reset tool. I think the idea is that if the warning light goes on and then turns off by itself, a consumer will probably ignore the fault. Whenever an airbag fault occurs, they want the consumer to check why it happened.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 AM
mopack
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RKW,

Thank you for your reply. Your theory is the same theory that I had until I was told about the battery. I will assume that yours and my theory are correct until someone here says that they know for a fact that the airbag light can be reset with the battery. Once again, thanks for your reply. Is there anyone out there that has tried or knows if the battery trick works?

Best Regards,
Alex

Old 07-08-2016, 07:51 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
You need a special"tool" to re-set the airbag light....some pro level odb2 units do it, but usually it is a separate unit.... some software sold with a USB to odb2 cable can reset it too.
Removing the battery does nothing ...that is an old trick from the pre-odb days when the cars computer did not have memory that would survive a battery removal..