R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Frustrating electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Nick_V
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrating electrical problems

Hello my fellow minions,

(excuse my english its my third language)
Little intro... i'm quite new here and after years of wanting a mini i finally bought one 6 months ago. Unfortunately since i had it i didn't drive a mile with it.
It started like this, i bought the car in state of "needs a little work" normally i just had to replace the head gasket. But turns out the engine was ruined so it needed to be replaced. So i did, when removing the oil from the tranny i noticed an unusual amount of metal so open it up and needed replacement parts too.
So... i finally did all this in my spare time, car completely ready. Put in the key and it won't start.

The main problems NOW.... (related to each other or not i don't know)
-Fuel pump relay doesn't get a signal like it should.
-Exterior lightning doesn't work like it should. (left headlight works but beam doesn't, right headlight the beam works but the normal light not, all lift turn signals work but all right doesn't, no rear fog lights, no brake lights, no left taillight, no left city light etc... )

What did i do already....
-replace all the lights for new ones (duh)
-Replace BC1
-Replaced fuel pump relay (when you open up the relay and you manually close the circuit then the car starts and runs fine)

(there might be other problems but as you can guess i can drive it at the moment the test everything)

Thank you all sooooo much for any advice that could help work this out.

Ps: car is a 2003 Cooper R50

Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Hi, Hopefully you can get this solved with some help here. Quite a job !

Typically when replacing a BC1, it needs to be married to the car with programing by a BMW/MINI dealer. If you swap a used BC1 from a MINI, then you must also swap the DME from same donor car, a matched set has to be used.

Back up some. Do you know what sort of work was performed on the MINI by prior owner to make it run again ?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Nick_V
Neutral
The BC1 that is in it now is indeed from a donor car (that was fine) and everything was indeed swapped so the parts matched. (also same options except for the onboard computer, but since this is a codeable option i don't think this should make a problem)

Unfortunately the previous owner wasn't really clear about that and i'm unable to reach him to ask any questions regarding this.

It seems that i bought a cat in a bag or however the expresion goes. But i'm not ready to give up on him.

Last edited by Nick_V; 08-03-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Nick_V
Neutral
Also, if anyone would know where i can get schematics for the EWS and the fusebox in the car or where i can buy a digital version of the Bentley manual? I ordered one some time ago but the company where i ordered it said it could take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Update: engine is running, faulty wire that goes from the fuel pump relay to the ecu. Soon yeeeey he runs. But still the lightning problem.
No need for the schematics from the EWS then.

Last edited by Nick_V; 08-03-2016 at 07:53 AM.