R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Modifying the Invidia Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modifying the Invidia Exhaust

So, I have an Invidia N1 Exhaust system with Milltek headers on an 03 r53.

I love the way it sounds, but I kinda want a little more and was wondering if anyone had made some modifications? I love the burble and deep rich sound, that doesn't sound like a ricer! However, I'm kinda hoping to get some more noticeable pops and such along with the burble.

What about deleting the CAT all together? Is there a resonator to delete?

I'm not 100% on exhaust systems so, in this link, in the picture what is the bulge on the top pipe? What are the very large pieces on the 2 lower pipes that lead directly to the tips? I know/believe neither of these are the CAT, because this is a CAT-back exhaust system.

Thanks! And if anyone has any experience with this or sound clips I'd really appreciate it!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitha6
So, I have an Invidia N1 Exhaust system with Milltek headers on an 03 r53.

I love the way it sounds, but I kinda want a little more and was wondering if anyone had made some modifications? I love the burble and deep rich sound, that doesn't sound like a ricer! However, I'm kinda hoping to get some more noticeable pops and such along with the burble.

What about deleting the CAT all together? Is there a resonator to delete?

I'm not 100% on exhaust systems so, in this link, in the picture what is the bulge on the top pipe? What are the very large pieces on the 2 lower pipes that lead directly to the tips? I know/believe neither of these are the CAT, because this is a CAT-back exhaust system.

Thanks! And if anyone has any experience with this or sound clips I'd really appreciate it!
Please dont take your resonator out. Thats what that 'bump' is. Your car will -probably- sound very bad.

Your cat might be in the manifold. Not familiar with milltek headers.

I have no cats, ebay headers, oreilleys totanium heat wrapped, and stock jcw exhaust. Along with the other modifications to my car, it will shoot fire on a redline shift. The sound is interesting. Very loud gunshot type pop.

If i can ill snag my buddy's gopro and see if i cant capture the moment.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
a cat will increase noise a lot, including the pop a burble. however youll still need to pass whatever emissions you require, that's the only downfall. I wont get into the whole moral dilemma about it, cause frankly I don't care. im catless and my bikes are too from factory. engines just sound better without them. even if there are no power gains.... which there is

as for keeping the cat, you could just have the piping only go down one exhaust side. effectively removing a muffler. I would keep the resonator, if they are not a flow through design, could change it to that. sometimes when removing resonators they create worse sounds

Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Smitha6
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
a cat will increase noise a lot, including the pop a burble. however youll still need to pass whatever emissions you require, that's the only downfall. I wont get into the whole moral dilemma about it, cause frankly I don't care. im catless and my bikes are too from factory. engines just sound better without them. even if there are no power gains.... which there is

as for keeping the cat, you could just have the piping only go down one exhaust side. effectively removing a muffler. I would keep the resonator, if they are not a flow through design, could change it to that. sometimes when removing resonators they create worse sounds

I'm thinking about having the Cat removed. My County doesn't require emissions testing. I may also consider a "performance cat". Put one on my truck a while back, basically went from an almost 2ftx6inx3in box basically in the exhaust to a little 6in long and maybe 4in in diameter poor excuse for a cat to just count as one.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitha6
I'm thinking about having the Cat removed. My County doesn't require emissions testing. I may also consider a "performance cat". Put one on my truck a while back, basically went from an almost 2ftx6inx3in box basically in the exhaust to a little 6in long and maybe 4in in diameter poor excuse for a cat to just count as one.
as long as you don't care about the moral dilemma, deleting the cat will make a lot more noise... join the club =D

or you can get a race cat and have most of the noise with still most of the emissions