R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Remote locking not working(tested everything)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Nick_V
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote locking not working(tested everything)

Hello again my fellow Minions,

So my MINI is completely fixed and ready. I ordered a new key at BMW and went to pick it up today.

After 2 hours waiting there the guy comes to me and said "we can't get the remote to work, we think the receiver is broken".
So going home disappointed, got the receiver out of my other MINI and placed it in the first MINI... Doesn't work.

So what is the problem and what did i try already...

-Replaced receiver
-Tested all the wires from the receiver
-Checked battery of the new remote key (you never know)
-Battery disconnect and reconnect
-Obviously spent a lot of time searching forums and google for any solutions

Sooo do you guys/girls have any idea what i can do to make my 250€ useless key
a working remote?

Many thanks

Old 08-17-2016, 12:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick_V
I ordered a new key at BMW and went to pick it up today.

After 2 hours waiting there the guy comes to me and said "we can't get the remote to work, we think the receiver is broken".
Since you did this at a dealer, I assume that they did the necessary programming and tried to diagnose it. I don't have any good ideas, but for other members some information from your earlier thread (link) might be relevant: the car is a 2003 R50 and its BC1 had been replaced (from a donor car). What year is the other MINI that you tried the receiver from?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 PM
Nick_V
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Since you did this at a dealer, I assume that they did the necessary programming and tried to diagnose it. I don't have any good ideas, but for other members some information from your earlier thread (link) might be relevant: the car is a 2003 R50 and its BC1 had been replaced (from a donor car). What year is the other MINI that you tried the receiver from?
Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned this, and the BC1 is back to the original one since there was nothing wrong with it. After a lot of measuring it appeared to be a faulty fusebox in the engine compartment which caused some systems not working properly.
So the BC1 is fine and the original one.

The other MINI is actually the donor car mentioned in the other thread. Exact same R50 except for the alarm with sensors that i have in my car and the other doesn't.

The dealer did the programming and said it succeeded but the remote just doesn't work. He also said it was possible that the receiver didn't work and that I had to make a new appointment for this.

Did they do something wrong? I don't know, i could be but i don't know.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Pop the key open and make sure that a red LED that is mounted on the board lights up when you push either button. It's possible that they shipped a dead remote board. Remember, they program the car to the remote code that they have. Just because they have programmed the car's BC1 to accept commands from the remote in question doesn't mean the remote works. No programming is done to the key itself at the dealer level.

A more remote (!) possibility is that the key is sending out a signal at the wrong frequency. I believe the remote frequency in Europe is 433 Mhz; they could have used a U.S. board which is set to 315 Mhz. The frequency on these boards is not adjustable; you have to use the correct board.

Val