R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Noises & Car left me on the roadway! PLZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Arielle Hyler
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noises & Car left me on the roadway! PLZ HELP!

I was driving my Manual R50 2002 Mini cooper (Yellow & Black!) and had a intermittent grinding noise when applying the gas, and when coming off the gas (not any during gear changes, and the noise stopped at 50 mph). Was going about 15-20MPH when the car completely locked up (front wheels stopped all movement, left skids on roadway), and just dead stopped. The emergency break turned ON (which I've never had happen in my life, and my father, who was in the car, noticed it as well-so no, i wasn't driving with it on). Restarted the car, Engine turns over, air conditioning turns back on, windows go up and down, moon roof works...everything but the actual gears. I can engage the clutch, and shift the gear, but absolutely nothing happens, and giving the car gas only revs the engine--No movement whatsoever. Cannot push the car/move the car, even in neutral or off!---but the wheels can be 'spun' to the far right and left (I can make a left turn, if i can ever move again). I had to have it towed home after it left me. Bought the car September 2015, and the transmission has always been a bit more 'growly' than I'm used to (had Hyundai's before the mini), but no major issues. I'd changed the transmission fluid in October 2015 (due to recommendations here & at pelican parts!).

Can anyone please help me out--has anyone had this issue, and know how to resolve it?? I'd hate to buy/rebuild the transmission just to find out it's something completely different. I'm not car knowledgeable, but thankfully my dad helps out a considerable amount, but he can't work on cars like he used to, so I'm trying to find a less expensive option than taking it to the mini dealership (especially since the closest one to me is Annapolis, 2 hours away). I'm in Delaware, and don't know of ANY mechanics who work on Mini's.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:23 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm guessing transmission , the mini dealer will be able to diagnose it for you, and fix it for you. might be expensive, be it should be done right, maybe source out an used one?

Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation, that really sucks! I'm of no help in diagnosing your issue, but your best bet is to look for a local indie shop that works on MINIs. I've found that shops who work on BMW can often handle MINIs as well, or shops that specialize in Euro cars.

You might check here to see if any shops are close to you. Alternately, it might be helpful to search for some MINI clubs or owner groups near you, and find their online resource (website or Facebook group), and ask for recommendations on shops there.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:00 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
I bet the gears must be damaged or something internal.

Here is info on the early 5 speed Midlands transmission.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mentation.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172