R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Oil leaked into cylinder, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leaked into cylinder, how to remove?

So i pulled my valve cover for new gaskets and plug tube o rings. The #4 ring had leaked a fair amount that i couldn't get at with the plug in place, so i pulled the plug and inspected the amount that went into the cylinder. It looks like only 5cc or less, here's a picture from my cell phone boroscope.

That's the oil up against the side of the piston

Should i crank it with no plug to try spraying the oil out into a paper towel at the top of the tube? Or just reassemble and have it burn or blow the oil out?

Need an answer today if possible, i need to get the car running again today!

Old 11-16-2016, 04:37 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would turn the motor over with the plug removed, any amount of oil will be blown out of the cylinder. Reinstall the plug and take the car for a run.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Ditto, blow as much it as you can by turning the car over with the plug out, you can even loosely place some rolled up paper towel in the tube to absorb the oil without it just sitting in edges at the bottom of the tube.

Then give it a good, higher than normal rpm drive, you should be fine, it will probably smoke some, but no worries. Just be prepared to possibly have to replace that spark plug, check it after a day or two.

We used to "fill" combustion chambers with oil to store used motors back in the day, we would blow out all of what didn't pass the rings while sitting, with no long term negative effects.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 11-17-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 AM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
I did just that, got most of the oil out, car started with a CEL, but went away after I started moving.

Had to get some weird *** E3 spark plugs because the store didn't have the NGK +7 iridiums in stock, so I have the NGK's coming tomorrow and will see how these weird looking plugs I've never heard of (but have good reviews on summit racing...) run for a weekend.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
The SES light came on and is staying on now. Showing p0030, upstream o2 sensor.

I'm not sure if the sensor has ever been replaced, car has 130k, so it's about time the stock one failed if it is (could be that oil blowby finished it off)

Is the front one difficult to access? I can't find any images, is it accessible from the top or the bottom of the car? Is the special socket better or a 22mm open end wrench?

And lastly, has anyone used the less expensive aftermarket sensors? $150 is a bit much for me right now

Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Update since nobody responded - the code went away after a couple days and has stayed off, i think the oil residue finally burned off

Old 11-27-2016, 05:24 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
I'd just drive it off and not worry.
You put a little oil in the cylinders if you do a wet compression test anyway.