R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Limp Mode P1688 & P0107 (Not Crank Pulley))

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 AM
thrash0249
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp Mode P1688 & P0107 (Not Crank Pulley))

Hello all, first post here in a few years(Mini has been running great for years now, no problems) love it here, but sad to be back with a problem.

The car is a 06 Factory JCW with 90,000+ miles on it.

Ill try and keep this short, if anyone needs more info just ask.

On my way home from work one afternoon, everything seemed fine and she was driving like a champ like she always does and then bam, while I was going up a small hill close to my house she went into limp mode, I pulled over turned her off and turned her back on, as expected she started right up. I drove for a bit and it seem like anytime I would put foot down on the gas it tries to decelerate for no reason and kick the driver forward, did not go into limp mode again all the way home.

Codes p1688 & p0107

Got home did some research to see what it could be, tried to drive it again to feel her out some more. though this time I got two blocks and then limp mode, another block and then limp mode... I had to use a combination of coasting and light foot driving to get her home.

did some more research... came up with a few options but the most outspoken one was a crank pulley.

Ordered parts (ati pulley, crank seal, crank bolt, and tools) and replaced them....

Went for a drive after I was done, started good, sounded good, felt good. I babied it until I got comfortable. then going down a back road I jumped on it. went to the top of third and into fourth and it felt great, until we got to the next stop sign. We stopped, it sputtered, and would not start again. eventually got it started and had to limp home at 10 mph(only like 10 blocks or so)...

still the same codes P1688 and P0107...

I have had her up on a jack, sometimes when she starts she doesn't want to but if I let her go for a while, she starts, and I can rev her pretty hard with out issue.

My next step is to use my crappy OBDII reader and check to see if sensors are failing when she fails... but it seems like I will have to drive her for that.

The main reason I am posting this is because I don't know what the issue is, I have read many posts about these codes from nam and I have not been able to spot the issue. My mini gets the best, but I don't like just buying parts for no reason nor is it in our budget to just buy parts.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:20 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ignore the title in the link, it has a promising fix.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...-replaced.html

Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM
thrash0249
1st Gear
yeah, I saw that post and took just the wiring off to look at that. I noticed a very very small amount(I can't stress how small of an amount) of a oily substance on both of the connectors for the T-map and map sensors.

Today after I got home from work I took the sensors out and checked them. the map sensor had absolutely nothing wrong with it. the Tmap has some wear on the inner O ring but still mostly blue, and the outer O ring looks absolutely fine. cleaned both and put them back in.

I also was receiving the code P1109(Manifold air pressure too high in deceleration) before I changed out the pulley, and I have not received it since, but I have only driven her once and came back with codes. I know the pulley has nothing to do it with it at this point, replaced a stock one so its still a bonus.

looking at it now I am wondering if the map sensor is just dead now? is it common? It was reading to high in deceleration, and now its reading its too low intermittently.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
thrash0249
1st Gear
I made it to work today and back with out a problem. It didn't stutter, die and threw a single code which I have been dealing with for a pretty long time now.

Basically all I did was pull the sensors out and barely cleaned them.... but I am so paranoid that this is not the fix though since it seems too simple for such a horrible feeling issue.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:00 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
O rings don't take much to deform and not seal. Fiddling with them may have re seated them again for now.