R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Center Console Armrest Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Neka
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R53 Center Console Armrest Fix

When I purchased my R53 last August, the previous owner told me the armrest was broken. The armrest cover that slides open to access the center console storage compartment wouldn't stay closed. Over time, the small tab that provides friction to keep the cover closed either broke or worn down. Every time your elbow rested on the cover, it would slide open. Talk about annoying and frustrating!! I found myself having to close the cover every five minutes while driving to prevent my elbow from going into the storage compartment. :-(

I'm not sure how many have had this same issue but figured there were enough (I watched a YouTube video of a guy using rare earth magnets to fix this problem). After trying the magnet fix, and failing, I tried something else. Since my fix was easier, cheaper and worked really well, I thought I'd share it with the NAM community.

After removing the arm rest, I noted there was an upper and lower track in the lower storage portion of the console. The armrest cover had two sets of short plastic pins on its' underside. These pins snapped into the tracks and guided the cover's movement forward and back when opening and closing.

First, I cut a small piece of masking tape to mark the width and location of the front plastic pins. I noted the pins' forward most position when closed. Second, I transferred the masking tape to the lower console's top track, marking the pin's "closed" position. Then I removed the upper armrest cover. The masking tape markers ended up being about .25" back from the start of the upper track.

Finally, using a shortened wooden kabob stick, I added a large drop of epoxy to each of the upper tracks where the single pin slides back and forth. I hoped adding a little "bump" in the upper track would provide the necessary resistance to keep the armrest cover closed. After the first drop dried for a couple hours, I added a second drop to each track to make sure the bump was large enough to provide the necessary resistance. I waited about 12 hours for the epoxy to fully cure before I tested my fix.

I'm happy to say that my problem is now solved! The cost of my fix was $5 for the epoxy and about a day to remove, repair and replace the armrest. The cost to replace my center console with OEM parts would have been a little over $200 + shipping. I'm including a couple pics to illustrate. Hope this cheap hack will help someone else :-)

Motor On!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great tip, thanks for sharing!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
This kind of stuff is great. Kudos to the OP

Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wish I had a broken arm rest to need fixing lol, I'm still waiting to find one on the cheap. My arm needs some support lol.

Good tip though. If I find one with this problem for cheap I know how to fix it now!

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 AM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thank you for sharing !!!

GREAT tip !!!!
I love it when issues can be resolved with ingenuity !!!!