R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Want a 2nd opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Hambrick
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want a 2nd opinion

Greetings,

Last weekend I replaced my head gasket in my '03 mini S, then today I noticed that I had coolant in my oil again after only a week. I imagine that the possibility of a head gasket blowing after only a week is fairly slim to none (so long of course as it is not overheating like crazy and being just completely ignored, which it wasn't and it's barely been turned on since last weekend.) I fear that it may be a cracked cylinder head, but I don't want to buy a cylinder head and replace it if there is something else it could potentially be.

I don't see any leaks outside the engine, but the coolant seems to disappear or blow out of the coolant expansion tank.

Don't notice any smoke (white or black) from the tail pipe.

Need a 2nd, 3rd, or maybe even 12th opinion before going out and buying a cylinder head to replace.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Coolant blowing out of the expansion tank is either overheating or combustion chamber pressure entering the coolant system, usually from a head gasket leak, but could be from a cracked head. Either way the head needs to be removed again. I'd bite the bullet and go ahead and buy a good head. Peace of mind. If it's not the head gasket and you put that head back on and find out its cracked you will be pulling it all over again.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Any history of overheating as the Head may be warped. This could be why the gasket went in the first place.

But did you also follow the torque pattern to a tee? When you take back off see if there is any rust caused by sealant leak.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:20 AM
CRC
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Hate to say it, but that head has to come off again. You have to check to see if there is any distortion and/or damage. If it is distorted (it needs to be checked with an indicator to be accurate), it will need decked/resurfaced so that it seals flat.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
1-Pull the valve cover off and get an extension tube for a compression tester(modify it to allow an air line connection) or a proper leak down tester. Pull all the spark plugs.
2-Make sure the valves are closed on the cylinder you are testing
3-Pressurize the cylinder...look for bubbles in the coolant tank---->cracked head or block
4-If you feel air coming out the spark plug hole in an adjacent cylinder--->head gasket/warped head.

Hope that helps!!

Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 AM
CRC
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
^^^^+1