Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How do you clean an intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017 | 01:40 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
How do you clean an intercooler?

So the intercooler looks like this...

It's full of air filter and it's baked on. Anyone know how to clean it out? I have tried mineral spirits but its not cutting it...

Mike

Old 04-12-2017 | 02:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Declorinated brake cleaner.

By the looks get two cans and dont be cheapskate, get CRC brand - comes in a GREEN can, NOT Red.

The cheap stuff lacks the pressure in the can you will want....Then let it air dry on its end over a something to absorb /collect any drainage.

Old 04-12-2017 | 02:26 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
PS: you the get the award for worst looking intercooler.....never ever seen one that bad...If it doesnt come clean, pick up a used one. Betting all that clogging is robbing you of about 8 psi of boost.

Old 04-12-2017 | 02:28 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Maybe a strong vacuum can suck out these foam residue? Just thinking out loud.

Old 04-12-2017 | 03:24 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmbmagic
So the intercooler looks like this... It's full of air filter and it's baked on. Anyone know how to clean it out? I have tried mineral spirits but its not cutting it...
Might want to get a tupperware tub (as close to the dimensions of the intercooler as possible), pick up a couple gallons of acetone, lay the intercooler down flat, immerse the entire unit and soak overnight... When it comes out, use an air compressor to blow the unit out in the opposite direction that the debris went in.

If that doesn't do the trick, there are used ones on eBay right now for as low as $36 w/free shipping...

Old 04-12-2017 | 04:10 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
PS: you the get the award for worst looking intercooler.....never ever seen one that bad...If it doesnt come clean, pick up a used one. Betting all that clogging is robbing you of about 8 psi of boost.
Yay, I will be waiting by the door for my trophy

Old 04-12-2017 | 04:14 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Declorinated brake cleaner.

By the looks get two cans and dont be cheapskate, get CRC brand - comes in a GREEN can, NOT Red.

The cheap stuff lacks the pressure in the can you will want....Then let it air dry on its end over a something to absorb /collect any drainage.
I have a bunch of auto zone branded Brake Cleaner, I will get the CRC brand if it doesn't do the trick.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2017 | 04:16 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Might want to get a tupperware tub (as close to the dimensions of the intercooler as possible), pick up a couple gallons of acetone, lay the intercooler down flat, immerse the entire unit and soak overnight... When it comes out, use an air compressor to blow the unit out in the opposite direction that the debris went in.

If that doesn't do the trick, there are used ones on eBay right now for as low as $36 w/free shipping...
Will acetone not discolor the aluminum?

I have some plastic bins that should work if the BPC doesn't get it out.

Mike

Old 04-12-2017 | 07:14 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Might be better off just buying a used one like advised.

Old 04-13-2017 | 04:51 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I'm guessing you are running a foam air filter? It looks like it's coming apart and getting stuck in the IC......get a new one.

Use compressed air to blow all of that foam out of the IC, then use some contact cleaner...spray it in there, then blow it back out with compressed air and you a good to go

Old 04-13-2017 | 07:42 AM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I'm guessing you are running a foam air filter? It looks like it's coming apart and getting stuck in the IC......get a new one.

Use compressed air to blow all of that foam out of the IC, then use some contact cleaner...spray it in there, then blow it back out with compressed air and you a good to go
Yeah it was a foam air filter, however I want to make sure you know it was not me who neglected it. The car was bought for my wife's sister and she did not take care of it. There are a whole lot of other problems I am working on too.

As far as compressed air, I have tried to blow it out/pick it out but it's baked on. It's going to take some kind of solvent.

Mike

Old 04-13-2017 | 12:26 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Why not take it to a radiator shop. I know our rad shop has a soak tank that takes pretty much everything off.

Old 04-13-2017 | 12:35 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Black Forest
Why not take it to a radiator shop. I know our rad shop has a soak tank that takes pretty much everything off.
That is a damn good idea!!!

Let me see how much they want. Will let you guys know.

Update: So it's about $100-$150 to clean it, however the guy was able to order me a brand new Behr IC for $190

Mike

Edit: Update

Last edited by dmbmagic; 04-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2017 | 12:53 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
I am not sure this will work, but try oven cleaner. I have used oven cleaner to clean jewelry that has crud that is impossile to remove wit acetone or any other product. Use as directed...carefully.

Old 04-15-2017 | 06:58 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Umm, if it was the air cleaner then it went through the supercharger and into the intercooler... may want to check the s-charger at some point. at least make sure it spins with a fluid, free resistance..

Old 04-16-2017 | 09:52 AM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Umm, if it was the air cleaner then it went through the supercharger and into the intercooler... may want to check the s-charger at some point. at least make sure it spins with a fluid, free resistance..
That's the plan, if it's not in good shape I think I'll opt for the TVS900

Old 04-16-2017 | 01:41 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by dmbmagic
I have a bunch of auto zone branded Brake Cleaner, I will get the CRC brand if it doesn't do the trick.

Thanks!
DE-Chlorinated type....The Auto zone brand is not.

Old 04-16-2017 | 01:43 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
What does your air filter look like after it came apart like that?

Old 04-17-2017 | 01:26 PM
dmbmagic
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
What does your air filter look like after it came apart like that?
I wish I had a photo of it, it was changed months(if not a year) ago... basically looked like a wire frame

Mike