R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Need some information about mini coopers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
songbird99
1st Gear
Location: California~the place with only 2 seasons, cold and lukewarm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some information about mini coopers.

Hello out there to all the mini coop people! I am in need of some information regarding the beautiful car know as the mini coop.
I'm interested in purchasing a mini coop as my next car, and am wondering what are some of the pro's and con's of the car. The gas mileage, the type of engine and other things like that.
I'm thinking along the lines of a used mini coop, but am open to hearing if a new one would be better.
All in all, i just need some info to help me along the way! I would really appreceite any information anyone could give me!
Thank you so much~:smile:

Old 10-15-2004, 10:42 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For previously owned MINI's, check out the Marketplace here on NAM
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...splay.php?f=15

For the answers you are seeking, it's best to do a SEARCH using the Search icon to the upper right of your screen---between Quick Links and Pulse.

Type in a few keywords like gas mileage , etc to find what you are seeking

Other than that, the MINI is the most fun you can have on the streets legally!!! I've had my Cooper for 13 months, and it's still a blast!!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
songbird99 - Welcome to NAM ... I'm sure you'll find answers to any questions you might have.
What part of the state are you located?
Keep an eye out here - under the regional forum page - and find when a bunch of owners are getting together. I'm sure they won't mind if you show up and show interest in their cars.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
songbird 99. Welcome to NAM. I am near San Diego and if you are in San Diego County I would be glad to stop by and show you my MCS.

We could go for a ride and see what you think

Earl

Old 10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
It's a matter of personal taste and what you're looking for. For many of us, the MINI is about the most fun you can buy for that amount of money. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:43 PM
songbird99
1st Gear
Interesting replies

HA HA!! Wow, thank you for the very interesting replies from all of the "mini" people! lol

I live about 3 hours from L.A. and about an hour from Santa Barbara.

I've located a few mini dealerships near me, but the closest is about 100 and something miles away from my zip code.

Does anyone have any particulars though? I mean i want to know as much as I can about these cars. Has anyone had any personal complaints about these cars? Anything that a new car consumer should know about because if so then i believe I should know.

Thanx so much for all of the information. And I think I'll have to take a raincjeck on that car ride! Thanx though

Old 10-17-2004, 03:14 AM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by songbird99
HA HA!! Wow, thank you for the very interesting replies from all of the "mini" people! lol

I live about 3 hours from L.A. and about an hour from Santa Barbara.

I've located a few mini dealerships near me, but the closest is about 100 and something miles away from my zip code.

Does anyone have any particulars though? I mean i want to know as much as I can about these cars. Has anyone had any personal complaints about these cars? Anything that a new car consumer should know about because if so then i believe I should know.

Thanx so much for all of the information. And I think I'll have to take a raincjeck on that car ride! Thanx though

I currently own 2 MINIs. A 2002 Cooper CVT (automatic) and a 2004 Cooper S. The '02 has over 25K troublefree miles and the '04 MCS has 13,200 troublefree miles as well. Feel free to post (Or send me a private message whichever you prefer) as I will be glad to help you answer any questions you may have about these wonderful cars. Owning 2 of these cars qualify me to give you very objective opinions about each, so go ahead and ask, ask!!

Old 10-17-2004, 09:22 AM
lotsie
Banned
Welcome to NAM:smile:
I've had my MINI for 15 months and have 32,000 miles on it.There were some minor things in the first 6 months or so.Glove box door would not stay closed,rear wiper motor died,all were fixed under warrenty.The biggest problem was frozen door handle's,that took the tech some time to figure out,with no real help from MINI Canada.But he did fix the problem,and I notice that the handles are different on the 05's.Not that frozen handles would be a problem where you live.

Most of my miles are highway,as I have a 100 mile return commute to work,with about 15 of that being city.I average about 35 mpg,even the Coopers are not great on gas,but they aren't sold as econo boxs.
The car always starts first go,even at -40,has never let me down,is good in the snow,again not an issue for you.

This has been the best car I have owned,most fun,well my classic was fun to,but not as 'NICE" a car,in terms of creature comforts,safety features,power.
Have fun looking,and if you do get one,practice:smile::smile::smile::smile:as you will be doing it alot

Old 10-17-2004, 11:10 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
My first car was a '59 Morris Mini Minor---the first of the Breed. I LOVED that car, from the day I first got my license, 'til my third year in college.

I went thru adulthood and always yearned for another Mini...especially when I saw them still produced in Europe. When they first came back onto the U.S. market, I TOLD my wife I'd get one...and, in March, my Draagone ended my dreamsearch. True, it was a used '03 Cooper with CVT, but it only had 2200 miles. I have NEVER had so much fun driving it, nor taking it to shows or adding stuff to it. As for the CVT, there is soooo much to learn about really driving all its variations. I never had considered the CVT before, since I had always thought a stick shift was the ONLY way to go, but I think there is a place for each...at least in THIS MINIac's world! It's truly a car for every personality.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:08 PM
MiniFen
2nd Gear
Used MINI can be a good way to go!!

I have a '03 MINI, which I bought used (900 miles on odometer). I have had it for about 13 months and 12,000 miles. Flawless performance, other than the dreaded "stumble", which was fixed at the dealer. If I was looking for a MINI now, I would look for a low mileage used one. There are people selling either a MINI to upgrade to a "S" or a hardtop up to a cabrio. Lots of good used values out there. Best of luck!

Old 10-18-2004, 04:44 PM
songbird99
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
I currently own 2 MINIs. A 2002 Cooper CVT (automatic) and a 2004 Cooper S. The '02 has over 25K troublefree miles and the '04 MCS has 13,200 troublefree miles as well. Feel free to post (Or send me a private message whichever you prefer) as I will be glad to help you answer any questions you may have about these wonderful cars. Owning 2 of these cars qualify me to give you very objective opinions about each, so go ahead and ask, ask!!
Would you be able to explain to me in plain english please (as I am am not taken to the Car language) what is the difference between a mini coop s and a plain old mini coop?

Old 10-18-2004, 04:46 PM
songbird99
1st Gear
California dreamin?

Originally Posted by MiniFen
I have a '03 MINI, which I bought used (900 miles on odometer). I have had it for about 13 months and 12,000 miles. Flawless performance, other than the dreaded "stumble", which was fixed at the dealer. If I was looking for a MINI now, I would look for a low mileage used one. There are people selling either a MINI to upgrade to a "S" or a hardtop up to a cabrio. Lots of good used values out there. Best of luck!
Not to be nosy, but may i ask where you purchased your mini coop? Was it here in CA (i noticed that we are both from there)

Old 10-18-2004, 04:50 PM
songbird99
1st Gear
O.k. another question for all of ya'll.

I've noticed that there is a turqoise in color mini coop out there, i've even found one on this website that someone was trying to sell because they were not able to make payments on anymore. Would that be considered a custom color? I went to the mini coop website and didn't notice that being on the color list. I want something unusual. Yellow, Lime green, etc. So far I've only noticed one other mini coop in my town, so i could probably get a white mini coop in color and be considered unusual. JK.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:19 PM
C4
Banned
Would you be able to explain to me in plain english please (as I am am not taken to the Car language) what is the difference between a mini coop s and a plain old mini coop?
Ok here are the differences on a nutshell:

Cooper:

115HP 1.6L SOHC 4-cyl TRITEC engine.
Sports Suspension
Standard 15" non-runflat tires
Optional 16" Runflat tires and rims
Available 5-speed Getrag manual transmission or ZF VT-1 CVT (Continuosly Variable Automatic Transmission).

Cooper S

170 HP 1.6L Supercharged 1.6L 4-cyl TRITEC engine
Sports PLUS suspension
Standard 16" runflats or optional 17" Runflat tires and rims
Standard Sports Seats
Standard rear roof spoiler
6-speed Getrag manual transmission (Aisin 6-speed Automatic transmission will be available beginning January 2005 production)
Dual center Exhaust
Standard ASC+T All Speeds electronic traction control.
Available Limited Slip Differential (Beginning January 2005 production)

Old 10-18-2004, 05:22 PM
C4
Banned

I've noticed that there is a turqoise in color mini coop out there, i've even found one on this website that someone was trying to sell because they were not able to make payments on anymore. Would that be considered a custom color? I went to the mini coop website and didn't notice that being on the color list. I want something unusual. Yellow, Lime green, etc. So far I've only noticed one other mini coop in my town, so i could probably get a white mini coop in color and be considered unusual. JK.
Are you referring to "Electric Blue Metallic"? That color is only available in the Cooper S model and it is not really a custom paint job.

Sometime you should come down here to Miami, Florida, where you see 50 new MINIs and even classic Minis many, many times a day. :smile:

Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
songbird, first of all, welcome to NAM. Second, I want to compliment you on your excellent use of "y'all.":smile:

You are asking very good questions and, although we've discussed this kind of information many times (some of which you may find on a search) it does bear a fresh restatement now and again, so please ask away. Lots of people out there have the same questions, I'm sure.

As you hone in on your search, you'll probably find colors/options that appeal to you. That'll simplify things as there is a great range of options/color combinations on these cars.

I recommend you try to connect with a local owner's club. There you'll get to see more MINI variations than you'll probably ever see at the showroom (because as soon as a shipment arrives, most cars quickly move off the lot to their owners). Get to a MINI event or two. Local owners will help you a lot, both in sorting through all the choices, and maybe even in locating a used MINI.

As for colors, check on MINIUSA and build a few on the configurator so you can graphically see the color combinations available. And as for unique colors, I don't think many owners (...except for show cars) have had the heart to respray their MINIs.....they just look too good coming from the factory for that. (...someday it may be more common, but not now.)

Good luck...you have shown that you have great automotive taste. MINIs are fantastic little cars in so many ways. They're fun, sporty, practical, reasonably priced, and very well engineered. All cars models have their quirks, and MINIs have had a few too, but nothing that hasn't been dealt with somehow. Even then...owners tend to LOVE their MINIs.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:44 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
The MCS costs around $3,000 more than an MC. For that, you get a little more horsepower, which doesn't seem all that much, until you've driven the MINI for awhile. I mean, there are so many cool things about the MINI when you first get one, that although it may say you've got more HP, you may not realize it until much later in the ownership period.

When I test drove both cars, I didn't find all that much difference. If I test drove them again today, I'd know the difference was much bigger because I wouldn't be test driving them by shifting at 2,500 rpm which is where I shifted on previous manual cars.

There are cosmetic difference---the MCS looks sportier--note the twin exhaust pipes--which looks cool, but in order for them to fit, they had to give up the spare tire. The MC has one pipe AND a spare.

This is fine if you plan to always use the Run Flat tires which don't get flat when you get a puncture, but once again, over time, you may opt to get rid of them after finding they are costly to replace and give a much stiffer ride over alternative tires.

The MCS also has a larger spoiler--that tail that flies off the back end above the hatch, the Boot. There are also differences in the shape of the bumpers and side skirts around the car, and more subtle difference on the interior.

There are also colors specific to MC or MCS--so if you like a particular color, you may be forced to buy one or the other.

Btw, I have an MC, and still love it as much as I did over a year ago. At some point I craved a bit more power, and did an inexpensive $200 mod that now gives me power closer to a stock MCS. Oh yeah, that's another MCS difference. If you plan to modify your car to gain more horsepower, the MCS is the one to do it too. You can only do so much to an MC before the rest of the car can't handle the mods you've done.

Personally, I like the look of the MC better without the supercharger slot. It makes for cleaner/sleeker lines. But that's your call!

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Paul!
6th Gear

I've noticed that there is a turqoise in color mini coop out there, ...
My money is on you looking at the Silk Green color. It was discontinued in '03. Did it look like the MINI below?

-Paul!

Old 10-18-2004, 07:12 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Songbird:

What a wonderful dilema--and choosing between the Cooper and the Cooper S is just the beginning! Being able to configure exactly the right car from you is one of the smaller things that sets MINI apart from your standard issue car. The main difference is of course that the MINI is just a lot more fun to drive than most cars out there!

For more Cooper vs. S advice, you might want to check out the following thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=31699

Old 10-18-2004, 07:48 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Songbird...welcome to NAM! MINI seems to be changing car colors much like most of us change underwear...lol. They are ALL great colors! I have a silk green '03 Cooper with a white sunroof. The color was discontinued. If you see a color you like, look around. For some reason, a few people bought the MINIs, only to trade them in with very few miles. If you are lucky enough to find a low mileage, used MINI in a discontinued color...consider yourself lucky, cuz, you now own a car that will shortly be a collector's item AND you will be in that small minority of people having that color!

Old 10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
MiniFen
2nd Gear
Not to be nosy, but may i ask where you purchased your mini coop? Was it here in CA (i noticed that we are both from there)
I live in the East County area of San Diego. I found my MINI on-line at www.Signonsandiego.com I had been "researching" for over a year (ever since I saw one in a magazine). I was getting ready to go up to either Orange County or LA area, but found this one first. I had also been considering ordering from MINI of the Hamptons.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 AM
songbird99
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
My money is on you looking at the Silk Green color. It was discontinued in '03. Did it look like the MINI below?

-Paul!
Hope you didn't bet your life savings Paul...because that isn't the color. lol Similiar but not quite it. This car was located in Illinois and was being sold through a private seller on autotrader. It had the turqoise/metallic blueish color, and white (bonnet(t) stripes? ) going over the car. All in all, a very sweet looking ride.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The best way to get to know all the good and bad about this car is to read up on this website as well as motoringfile.com.

Get one, you'll love it.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
It had the turqoise/metallic blueish color
If it wasn't Silk Green then it was Electric Blue. Stripes can be added at any time.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:28 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
I'm a new owner of a Liquid Yellow/Black CVT MINI Cooper, which I've just recently finished driving past it's break-in period.

I would first like to warn you of a few things, being as you are a prospective new buyer. By all means, make use of the online configurator to help you with options, and be sure to compare your preferences to real pictures of the options and colors you like, as that makes for an eye opening difference. Seeing the real thing is even better, of course, and worth going out of your way to accomplish. MINI2 is another website that has tons of MINI information, forums, pictures, etc.

Check online posts and ratings to see which dealerships are the most highly recommended in your area to do business with. If a recommended dealer is NOT close to you, that DOESN'T mean you go with second best...that happens to be "semi-close". NO, you go OUT OF STATE, if you have to, to buy from a good dealer. Even if that's 1,000 miles away? Yes, absolutely. It's not just about getting a good price. A bad dealership is a bad dealership, and not worth taking chances with on a car like this. Some dealerships tend to screw up orders, or otherwise mess up your purchasing experience...usually right after you've signed on the dotted line. So, please, if you are going to buy new, or even used, from a MINI dealer, check 'em out, and don't say to yourself, "Oh, it'll be ok." Maybe it will, but maybe it won't. If things go bad, you'll be kicking yourself.

MINI's are pretty cool cars, and they certainly draw a lot of attention, which can be fun. Heck, it IS fun. But...after all is said and done...it's JUST a car. Some folks seem to think it's a steal at it's price, for what it has, and what it can do. My apologies to some of you out there, but the MINI is no incredible deal. On average, at the least, a MINI runs you about $20,000, and often times much more. And that's BEFORE taxes, and registration, and all that junk. Not to mention financing costs, and possible warranty extensions, and... Well, let's just say that the MINI is no cheap car, and it is no incredible bargain. Just take a look around at what else is out there, do some comparison shopping. Keep in mind that fuel prices are going up, and will likely continue to do so, and that the MINI uses more expensive premium (high octane) fuel, but that it doesn't get really great gas mileage. It's fuel effeciency is decent, but it is no economy car, despite it's size (remember, it's HEAVY for it's size), in nearly any sense of the word.

Generally speaking, MINI's are fairly well built, but there are some common issues with many MINI's out there. Rattles are a common problem, though most can be fixed, over time, by your dealer, assuming your dealer is an OK dealer. There are many other little, and not so little, problems that have cropped up with MINI's, over the years this latest rendition of the classic has been in production. Most buyers are very satisfied once all is said and done, though it sometimes takes many visits to your local dealership to get to that "happy" point of MINI ownership. Personally, for now, I'm still rather frustrated with some aspects of my MINI buying experience, though I think things can be ironed out to my satisfaction, over time, with a few compromises on my part. *sigh* (THEY are NOT compromising at all, but that's an issue for another thread.)

Test drive a MINI, if you can. And, if you can't...find a way to test drive one anyway. Seriously. This car IS NOT for everyone. The car's looks, and performance (not all THAT incredible), can be beguiling, and make you forget about other, more practical, issues. Of course...hehehe...that's part of the fun.

No matter how well your ordering and purchasing experience goes, be careful about how deeply in debt you go to your MINI (if you decide to accept this mission), because you will likely want to spend some money on aftermarket items for this car. You may have never done so with any other car you've owned. But, the MINI is different, so just trust me on this one. It may be new wheels, or tires, or seat covers, or a re-upholstery job, or any one (or two, or three, or a dozen) of a hundred different possibilities. But, regardless of what it is, you'll want to do, and it'll cost you, so leave some dough in your wallet when you are budgeting your purchase. Plus, you might need the extra cash for nights out on the town, as you'll find you become somewhat more popular with the opposite sex when you have a MINI. Or so I've been told...though I've not...er...physically experienced that as of yet. )

Yes, chicks (most of them) really adore the MINI. But, if you can't afford to take 'em out, because of your car payment, you're not much good to them. (If it turns out I'm talking to a female, please disregard this section of my post. And...um...if you happen to be single, are you busy this weekend? )

Anyway, geez, I could go on for hours about MINI's, but I think I've made this too long already. So, good luck on your MINI research, and let us know what you decide to do. As you are probably already beginning to learn, we here are always willing to chat about just about anything MINI related, and quite a few non-MINI subjects as well! (See the various forums subjects.) So, have fun while you're here! :smile:

Quick Reply: R50/53 Need some information about mini coopers.