R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 05 Shake Rattle and Roll

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 09:20 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lot15
mlebleau,that blue in your sign, is great:smile:
Thanks lot15! I really like that picture, my favorite of my car so far. It was taken outside the main 'oval' drive at my school. There are bunches more similar types of pics on my site, www.hyperbluemini.com. Check out the galleries, accessible from the right navigation menu at the site.

-mike

Old 10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
lotsie
Banned
Sorry to post 2x in a row,but to the empty passenger seatbelt thing, I put the height adjuster all the way down,then pin the buckle between the seat and the body of the car.Mine doesn't slap anymore,windows down,70 mph.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Excellent, thanks for that lot15.. I was hoping for a solution something like that. I'll try it next time I'm on the freeway in sunny weather.

-mike

Old 10-19-2004, 09:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
Another hint.My hatch has had problems,needed a new latch,then a new stricker because under certain conditions with the drivers window down,going 60 mph,wind blowing into the car,side wind,the rear hatch would still rattle.If you crack the passenger window a bit,no more hatch rattle,every time

Old 10-20-2004, 04:24 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Your pedal rattle certainly sounds like something to have checked out. The advice regarding window rattle sounds good, but I've not got that problem...yet. I do have the (seemingly) speaker originating rattle coming from my passenger door, and it just seems to get worse as time goes by, even though it sometimes disappears altogether, which is weird, but very typical of MINI rattles. I'm going to my dealer for a check on my MFSW (buttons don't always work *sigh*) this weekend, and I'll have them see what they can do about my more irritating rattles.

Despite having an issue with my idiot dealership (Niello MINI of Sacramento) over my cloth seats being the wrong color (long story posted elsewhere), I'd be pretty darn happy with my MINI...if it wasn't for some of my more irritating rattles. The speaker one really gets me, as I can't turn up the radio volume to cover it up...because that just makes it rattle even more! I agree that MINI's are generally pretty well built, but MINI still seems to like to leave some things to chance. Which seems awfully strange for them to do after all this time, considering the fact that some of these rattle issues have been with the MINI from day one. Are we supposed to think things like this are cute, and give our cars distinctive character? (In other words, how hard is it to solidly mount a built-in speaker to a car door? Have these guys not heard of rubber, latex, or whatever, washers and such?)

Honestly, if you designed and built a car for mass production, do you think you could do better? I certainly think I could, if I had the means to do so. I assume that Mini DOES have the means to do so, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:08 AM
e12pilot
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, if you designed and built a car for mass production, do you think you could do better?
Well, I agree that the HK problem should have been fixed at the factory once they realized the problem. When my 05 first started having the problem I couldn't believe that a problem that has plauged even the very first HK equipped cars is still around today.

I realize the fix probably would cost around .50 and about 1/2 of work, but I don't feel like ripping off the door cover and then realize I broke something in the process. Thats the point of the warranty, atleast for me.

Your pedal rattle certainly sounds like something to have checked out.
Yup, the car will be going in on Monday. I will let everyone know what they find wrong with that region....It certainly sounds strange, and applying pressure to any of the pedals will not stop the rattle.

Peter

Old 10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Please, let us know how it goes with the dealership on these issues of yours, ok?

Old 10-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Teampajn
4th Gear
My dealer ended up placing matting on the drivers and passenger door. They took care of the problem for me. It sounds tons better now.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 PM
e12pilot
1st Gear
Just an Update

Just an update for everyone. The car went into the dealership today to have the speaker rattle and the pedal rattle checked. Got a call this afternoon that they were running behind and that the car might be ready tonight, but most likely tomorrow morning.

Until then I get a nice Chrysler Pacifica.

If anyone ever starts to get *tired* of their mini take your car into the dealership and drive around a Chrysler Pacifica for just half a day...I want my car back so bad right now it isn't even funny.

I will let everyone know what the outcome is tomorrow morning.

Peter

Old 10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
winechic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mlebeau

P.S. The picture in the link to In-N-Out's site, believe it or not, is actually how their food looks. That's why they rock. If you're ever on the west coast, I'd say getting your *** to an In-N-Out is about as important as seeing the Golden Gate, or the Hollywood sign.
They don't put that much sauce on the double double.

But otherwise it is about what you're gonna get at in-n-out. yummy!!

Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Peter: LOL, always good to remember how lucky you are to have what you have.

winechic: They do an admirable job at my closest In-N-Out, but if you want more, just ask for extra spread!

-mike

Old 10-26-2004, 04:21 AM
C4
Banned
Hey Peter a loaner Chrysler Pacifica is much better than than getting a lousy Cavalier or Neon rental.

Does the Pacifica drive really that bad?

That vehicles retails for nearly $30K and while is not a sports car it should be a better drive that any lousy SUV.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:36 AM
e12pilot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
Hey Peter a loaner Chrysler Pacifica is much better than than getting a lousy Cavalier or Neon rental.

Does the Pacifica drive really that bad?

That vehicles retails for nearly $30K and while is not a sports car it should be a better drive that any lousy SUV.
Well.......I guess I am a little spoiled by the Cooper, just the most annoying thing about the pacifica is the size of the windows.....Especially the front two windows(driver's/passenger's). Here is a good picture that illustrates things:

But, in all honesty I can't complain. For purchasing a $25k car and having a loaner with leather and auto-ac all taken care of by the dealership, hardly worth complaining about.

BTW Bill Jacobs in Naperville, IL gets a nice pat on the back for the way they have treated me to date, great dealership and great MA's.

Hopefully should be getting a call back here any minute letting me know the car is all finished, can't hardly wait.

Peter

Old 10-26-2004, 10:30 AM
AppleCello
4th Gear
706 miles on my car as of this morning. I have had a few rattles come and go from the driver's side a pillar/dash area. it seems to be gone now.

I am also getting a passenger side speaker rattle with certain bass frequencies. I dont have the HK, but it seems to be a similar issue. I bet its related to the door casing and not the stereo...

No big deal for now. i will deal with it when i have some more time.

Patrick

Old 10-26-2004, 12:08 PM
e12pilot
1st Gear
Update

Ok guys, just got a call back from the dealer.....Better results than I was expecting:

1) The passenger side speaker rattle was not the door, but the speaker itself. This surprised me as the stereo has rarely been turned very far up, and the sounds seemed consistent with what other people have been hearing. New speaker has been ordered and will get here tomorrow(one more day with Mr. Pacifica it seems).

2) The pedal rattle has been confirmed by the tech during a test drive. However, they cannot pinpoint the cause of the rattle as of yet. Hopefully it will turn out that nothing major is wrong, and just a nut needed to be tightened somewhere.

I will keep this thread updated with progress as I hear it....It looks like I will be without the car for another day or so....Oh well, thats what warranties are for, ya?

Peter

Old 10-27-2004, 10:19 AM
e12pilot
1st Gear
Ok here is the newest update:

1) The speaker that was shipped to the dealership was cracked, so tomorrow they will put the new one in, no biggie.

2) The pedal rattle looks like it has opened up a whole can of worms. To make a long story short Mini USA has gotten involved in the process. Don't really know how, but I should know more tomorrow.

Fun!

Peter

Old 10-27-2004, 01:00 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Yikes! Peter, I hope you have it back by Friday, so we can meet up while I'm in town!

-mike