R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bought a 2006 R53.... Let it begin.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Received 128 Likes on 81 Posts
Bought a 2006 R53....

First time Mini owner and I feel I may be using this site extensively. So let me start off by say "thank you" in advance to all those who have the patiences for the newbies, as I am one of them.
Here's what I'm starting with:
2006 Mini Cooper S with 65K miles.
Manual transmission / Dynamic Stability Control / Limited Slip Differential

M7 strut tower reinforcements
H&R 19mm sway bar
Koni FSD shocks
Proxy 4+ tires
LF speed sensor and wheel hub were replaced in 2012
Crank Position sensor ring was done in 2012
Brake fluid was flushed in 2012
Coolant flush in 2013
Supercharger was replaced in 2013
Water pump was replaced in 2013
Throttle body was replaced in 2016
Other than that it is stock with routine maintenance. It's a kick in the pants to drive.... and everything feels tight.

I have run through all the points "MOD MINI" goes through in his "buyers guide" on YouTube and most everything checks out, (from what I can tell... but with not much experience, I could be missing a lot.)
At this point I'm compiling a list of everything I need to go through to for preventative maintenance.
So let it begin....
First Picture... as purchased.

Last edited by bump32; 11-26-2018 at 08:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bump32:
Keysersozeh (03-01-2022), Scavenger (05-21-2021)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. Looks like you found a gem, and very clean one at that, without the common bad mods. Does it has rainroof?

What seems odd is the supercharger had been replaced at such low miles, but hay if the owner is not the home wrench he/she can easily been taken for an expensive ride by sleazy shops. I would also call the water pump, TB replacement suspect, but not surprised with most of these shotgun "debug" mechanics.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome! Happy you are doing diligence up front!!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:01 PM
bump32
4th Gear
First Question

Is this the best shop manual to get or is there a better option?

Bentley Diagram Book Repair Guide Service Manual for Mini Cooper S Convertible

Attached Thumbnails Bought a 2006 R53.... Let it begin.-screen-shot-2018-01-02-at-11.59.04-am.png  
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Yes it has the big double sun roof.... but no leaking..... that I've found. Are there issues with the sunroofs?
The super charger and water pump were replaced at 42K miles... That's really low miles right?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:17 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
It also appears you have a non-S grill (chrome) - arn't they typically a chrome surround with color matched bars on the S?

I wonder if it was hit in the front and the S/C had to be replaced due to damage from a truck hitch or something crazy like that.

...But grats on finding a LSD model! And my .02 - you have a few really solid mods done, just leave it alone!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by bump32
Yes it has the big double sun roof.... but no leaking..... that I've found. Are there issues with the sunroofs?
The super charger and water pump were replaced at 42K miles... That's really low miles right?
Depends on the owner. I like the old German cars with metal sunroofs. I dislike the glass roof as they adds a lot of weight and solar gain in the summer. Weight up high goes against handling. In all if you store the car outdoors these roof will become a liability as time goes by especially in the soggy PNW. Base on the shine on your paint it must have been a garaged car so that is very good.

I owned one convertible, gen 1 Miata, and it was miserable to drive in rainy seasons but I had the optional hardtop.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 PM
bump32
4th Gear
Supercharger

Originally Posted by RedAggie03
It also appears you have a non-S grill (chrome) - arn't they typically a chrome surround with color matched bars on the S?

I wonder if it was hit in the front and the S/C had to be replaced due to damage from a truck hitch or something crazy like that.

...But grats on finding a LSD model! And my .02 - you have a few really solid mods done, just leave it alone!
Hmmmm not sure about the grill. I'm probably going to black out some or or all of the chrome... I'm not a real chrome guy.
Found some details in the invoice (Autohaus Bayern in Oregon) and it says "Checked old supercharger and found the gear was dry and worn".
I can's see any damage to the scoop or the middle of the hood but I did find a ding/warp in the hood over the LF tire. Hidden mostly by the black trim piece.
Thanks... I am going to leave is alone for a while and just drive it.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM
bump32
4th Gear
sunroof

Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Depends on the owner. I like the old German cars with metal sunroofs. I dislike the glass roof as they adds a lot of weight and solar gain in the summer. Weight up high goes against handling. In all if you store the car outdoors these roof will become a liability as time goes by especially in the soggy PNW. Base on the shine on your paint it must have been a garaged car so that is very good.

I owned one convertible, gen 1 Miata, and it was miserable to drive in rainy seasons but I had the optional hardtop.
Mini is going to live in the garage for most of the winter months, I don't plan on driving it to much in the Oregon rain... I didn't think about the weight up high but to be honest my wife liked the big sunroof and the fact that it was red. I got everything else I wanted and a happy wife. hahaha.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Congrats it looks great and sounds like you already have a pretty up to date car.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 01-02-2018, 04:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 418 Posts
Looks like it has the external chrome packakge which included the grille slats, mirror covers, and hatch handle in chrome.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
I know the Chrome Package was available back in 2004 with the MC40.

I see the mirror caps are chrome, I would bet the Trunk lid grip with key button, part# 51137074020 is also chrome.

A nice Grill Swap is the JCW Aero Kit black mesh.

Lots of recommendations about PMCS (Preventive Maintenance, Checks and Services).

The owner's manual is full of service recommendations, and a good read.

Generally, I replace most of my fluids at least every three years, and for the cars I Track they get flushed and refilled every 6 months.

The Supercharger is tucked in below the intake manifold and the inter-cooler and within the frame rails, for it to be damaged I would have to wonder just what happened. Was the car backed into or was it a Stop that came up a little short.

Lots of options ...

Motor On!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
Looks like it has the external chrome packakge which included the grille slats, mirror covers, and hatch handle in chrome.
+1

My Scarlet,(Chili Red) has the Chrome Package, grill, door handles, gas cap. My mirror caps are white though.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:03 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 418 Posts
That sounds like the regular chrome on the car, not the exterior chrome package. The package is the grille slats, mirror covers and hatch handle instead of the normally painted items. The interior chrome package is the trim rings around the gauges, shifter, air vents, hazard and dimmer switch, and cup holders.

Running the VIN online should show if it was originally built with either the chrome line interior 345 or chrome line exterior 346 packages.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 01-05-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:17 AM
pnwR53S
"Checked old supercharger and found the gear was dry and worn".
This note supports the SC likely not damaged from collision.

Hmmmm not sure about the grill. I'm probably going to black out some or or all of the chrome... I'm not a real chrome guy.
I have a brand new genuine MINI black Aero grill that I would consider trading your chrome one. My reservation is your ability to remove the grill without breaking the plastic studs the sheet metal nuts "screw" on. We are in the same town.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
This note supports the SC likely not damaged from collision.

I have a brand new genuine MINI black Aero grill that I would consider trading your chrome one. My reservation is your ability to remove the grill without breaking the plastic studs the sheet metal nuts "screw" on. We are in the same town.
Hmmm that's a good trade... let me thing about it. I want to keep it consistent... either black it all out or leave it chrome. I don't want a mix of chrome and black and I haven't quiet figured the cost or effort to make it all black.
Do you have other black accessories/parts you would want to trade out?
Original widow sticker says "Chrome line interior", "Chrome line exterior" & "Door mirror caps in Chrome"

Old 01-06-2018, 09:51 AM
pnwR53S
Its a good idea to drive your new Mini a while to give yourself some time to appraise what you like before plunging in and go whole hog. The Aero grill was ordered when I bought the Mini and the only black thing I have other than tires.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:24 PM
aboveliquidice
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Great looking mini! I just picked up a 2006 as well! Will follow your updates closely. I've got some trim work to do. Your mini looks super clean.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 AM
bump32
4th Gear

65000 miles
Rotated the tires - has some uneven wear on the RF tire.
Oil and filter change - 5-30 synthetic
Transmission oil change - Redline synthetic
Power steering seems a little stiff (but I have nothing to compare it to) Power steering fluid is full and from what I can tell never been changed. Does the power steering fluid need to be changed? Will that help? P/S Fan runs when I turn on the AC but then it stops after about 30 seconds. I’ve read about the Power Steering pump recall but as I understand it does not apply to 2006.
Engine Air filter looked good… blew it out a little.
Changed out cabin air filter.
X - Brake fluid was done in 2012 so going to leave that for now.
X - Coolant flush was done in 2013 so going leave that for now.
Belt condition looks good but I need to keep an eye on it.
Brake pads look ok.

*Fellow Newbies -
Pelican Parts has some great step by step posts on their website with helpfull hints. Helped a bunch with the oil change, cabin air filter, transmission fluid etc....
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...tech_index.htm
There is also a section on this site that has great how to's:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms/how-to-340/

BLACK
I think I’m going to try blacking out a few chrome items with Plasti-Dip. Try to get a feel for what she will look like with black instead of chrome. If I don’t like it, I’ll peel it and be back to chrome.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:50 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Chrome vs Black

After looking at the car for a very long time... I decided to try blacking out some of the chrome with plasti dip. This way I can try it, if I don't like it, I peel it.
Here's where we are at:
Maybe try the belt line black out next.
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...tline-kit.html
Anyone have some black side mirror caps to trade for chrome?

Last edited by bump32; 01-08-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: more info
The following 3 users liked this post by bump32:
mountainhorse (03-15-2021), shrevemini (01-05-2020), tej98 (06-29-2019)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bump32
65000 miles
Rotated the tires - has some uneven wear on the RF tire.
Oil and filter change - 5-30 synthetic
Transmission oil change - Redline synthetic
Power steering seems a little stiff (but I have nothing to compare it to) Power steering fluid is full and from what I can tell never been changed. Does the power steering fluid need to be changed? Will that help? P/S Fan runs when I turn on the AC but then it stops after about 30 seconds. I’ve read about the Power Steering pump recall but as I understand it does not apply to 2006.
Engine Air filter looked good… blew it out a little.
Changed out cabin air filter.
X - Brake fluid was done in 2012 so going to leave that for now.
X - Coolant flush was done in 2013 so going leave that for now.

Belt condition looks good but I need to keep an eye on it.
Brake pads look ok.

*Fellow Newbies -
Pelican Parts has some great step by step posts on their website with helpfull hints. Helped a bunch with the oil change, cabin air filter, transmission fluid etc....
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...tech_index.htm
There is also a section on this site that has great how to's:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ms/how-to-340/

BLACK
I think I’m going to try blacking out a few chrome items with Plasti-Dip. Try to get a feel for what she will look like with black instead of chrome. If I don’t like it, I’ll peel it and be back to chrome.
5 years on brake fluid? I would change. If you are not a DIY'er, shop won't charge that much to flush the fluid. I would guess 1 hour labor should cover that.

4 years on coolant? Borderline, change. That you should be able to do.

Regards,
Jerry

Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
If you are going to all that trouble you should black out the mirrors as well. That was the first thing I did, the chrome mirrors look awful.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 AM
bump32
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Derek86
If you are going to all that trouble you should black out the mirrors as well. That was the first thing I did, the chrome mirrors look awful.
I agree with you. But the first round of black was plasiti dip and I think I want to actually paint the mirror caps. I think they will come out better/smoother, but no going back. More of a test on the front trim.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Matty H
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the r53 fam

Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
pnwR53S
all red mini with chrome to black

Originally Posted by Derek86
I don't think you can criticize the chrome mirrors across the board. It is about colour coordination as well as the graphic design, if any. From what I can infer you started with a red Mini with over the top chrome. What have you done to improve it? I cannot find a recent photo of yours.

In my view the OP's black out does not work and is a step backwards. Chrome theme works with certain body and roof colours. Black theme work with certain ones. Blacked out scoop often look cheap and embellished. Most black theme works if you put on (certain) body stripes. I would say the biggest offending elements of his (as is) is the all chrome grill and the chrome hatch handle cover.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 01-15-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add photos

Quick Reply: R50/53 Bought a 2006 R53.... Let it begin.