R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Introduction from Monkey Juice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018 | 05:36 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Morning non-sense.

~ I've never revved my engine over 4000RPM...but the dealership probably has.
~I've never changed my supercharger juice,
~My back bumper was repainted 10 years ago (mysterious gouge).
~MINI warranty gave me a new clutch at 33K miles..and a flywheel, etc.
~Braman MINI "Spa Day" ruined the red paint under my hood...too strong of a cleanser. They agreed to pay me $4K..10 years ago.
~I will next do the headliner (and rodent chewed wires)..but will probably opt for anthracite.
~I once went in for a slight leak on my garage floor...and 4!! leaks were found. Kind of expensive ( I think?).
~New strut tower bushing made a nice difference (mine were dry rotted).
~Oh how I wish that I had ordered the chromo package...instead of the Navigation...and no sunroof.
~I need to replace my wheel centers ( the MINI badge fell off).
~I never allow my back to brush against the seat back bolster when entering/exiting my car...so no(or very little wear).
~I insist upon spotless wheel wells...and I can just barely get my hands behind the rear wheel wells. Once a week.
~I have never used leather conditioner. Only Aerospace 303 ( a UV protectant). I get it at the boat supply store.
~I bought the cable for the radio ( Harman Kardon) to make my iPod work...and was not able to reach the correct plug behind radio..oh well.
~Mostly, as a lurker...I appreciate all of you for this forum. I have been reading it for many years. You MINI folk know your stuff.
~I must get 10 more years out of Monkey Juice..and have it still looking and preforming as-new.
~I'm 58 years old (haha and old man).

That's all,

Mark

Old 04-03-2018 | 12:40 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Hello all MINI..iac's!

Todays thoughts.

~The MINI is scheduled for service on Friday morning (rodent related).
~Straw hats are the best for passenger seat organizing whilst driving..and for hiding your stash. Practical in an emergency, too.
~Large towels in the trunk are put down when hauling anything.
~Car cover was a waste of money.
~The crystal ball (in a gold velvet bag appeared after a servicing years ago. Total mystery. I left it where I found it (rear corner).
~And I have every scrap of paper from delivery..including the window sticker.
~I have too much time on my hands.
~I have more miles on Monkey Juice than I thought.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Best,

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4429.jpg   Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4430.jpg   Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4436.jpg   Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4439.jpg  
Old 04-03-2018 | 09:54 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Monkey Juice -

For the, "what it may be worth column".

Back a few posts you mentioned that you replaced the "harmonic balancer" (maybe I should do mine also..!).
Just a heads-up, there is no such thing.
That thing on the end of the crank shaft is a "Harmonic Damper".
It doesn't balance anything, but they do work hard at dampening harmonic vibrations/cycles in the crank shaft. They go a long way to help make the crank shaft, bearings, timing chain and a few other things last a long life.

Mike

P.s. - Nice looking car.

Last edited by OCR; 04-04-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2018 | 10:09 PM
vetsvette
Sounds like you're really enjoying your Mini. That's great! You've got a ways to go to wear the "old man" moniker though. I'll turn 71 not long after MOTD this year and there are other well seasoned veterans on the forum too.

Old 04-04-2018 | 03:42 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Why you are most correct, OCR!

Braman MINI referred to the part as a "vibration damper".

And many thanks vetsvette!

I totally enjoy the car!! It's keeping me young! And I'm keeping it forever.

Motor on,

Mark

Old 04-04-2018 | 10:48 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Monkey -

Well, because in this case, because facts are facts. Simple as that.
That item, does not balance anything, fact.
That item, dampens harmonic vibrations, fact.

Look it up..!
Try here - http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/
Find a place where they call it a balancer..! And yea, they even carry Mini Cooper dampers.

Mike

Old 04-04-2018 | 11:43 AM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by OCR
Monkey -

Well, because in this case, because facts are facts. Simple as that.
That item, does not balance anything, fact.
That item, dampens harmonic vibrations, fact.

Look it up..!
Try here - http://www.atiracing.com/products/dampers/
Find a place where they call it a balancer..! And yea, they even carry Mini Cooper dampers.

Mike
The OP already agreed with you.

Old 04-05-2018 | 12:15 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Greetings to all.

So, I purchased these OEM mesh sunscreens for the rear and hatchback windows on delivery day. The mesh is the same as the mesh on sunroof sliding gig. Now..like a true miracle, they snap into place to absolute perfection. No squeaks/rattles/adheasive/etc. I didn't want tinted windows..and these solved the situation. Plus, my interior is still looking pretty damn good. They were a smart investment.

I'm just practicing posting pictures...carry on. Off to Braman MINI in the morning for repairs. They still give me a MINI loaner car! And they serve excellent food/beverages for breakfast and lunch. Lunch will be divine (I'll make sure that I am there...hahaha). I only request that they do not wash my car. My service advisor always gets a $10.,,,,,regardless of repair bill. I'm frugal.

Best,

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4441.jpg   Introduction from Monkey Juice.-img_4442.jpg  

Last edited by Monkey Juice; 04-05-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 04-05-2018 | 12:47 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Monkey Juice
So, since I have a moment...

The other machine is a newer MINI Countryman S (automatic transmission)..mostly loaded. Very low miles, Diamond white/red trim/black leather/ black roof. Not my preferred car. I don't know why we bought it.?. We also lease a BMW 740i..the spouses daily driver. I don't know what year, etc., but it's newer. It's a nice car.

Mostly, I am proud of myself for posting on your fab forum today ( I'm technologically challenged...hahaha). I have been lurking daily for many moons. Zippy once helped me with an issue..under another user name (9 years ago..thanks Zippy). I will be pestering and posting more...so get ready!!

Cheerio,

Monkey Juice

I enjoyed reading through this post. I can understand your love for your MINI and the level you maintain it. The part I enjoyed the most was the extent that you know your MINI inside and out, but you have no idea of the year of the BMW 740 in the family.

I had a similar experience, also on 95. I was driving an under-maintained company truck when a dry-rot tire blew out. I got it back to the office and the next trip, with a new tire, I went for gas. I couldn't get gas because the pipe was apparently destroyed in the blow out. There was a hole in the fuel tank where the pipe should have been connected. I keep my vehicles in perfect condition and can't stand driving a vehicle that is not properly maintained.

Old 04-05-2018 | 01:22 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Why thank you miniCPA.

Yes, I do adore Monkey Juice. I am tempted to ask the cost (from my local dealer) the price of changing the supercharger juice..whilst it's in . My thought is to wait. I know that the service department will find something that needs attention...but it can't be much.

I'm guessing that my next failure will be a power window issue. I've never had one...ever.

I don't like opening the sunroof, except for weekly wash/dry. I don't trust the sunroof. Too much plastic.

My door jambs have bragging rights!

I still sport my original BCM. It acted up once about 5 years ago (Brake light issue).

I might get new floor mats. just not ready.

Mostly, as mentioned...I thank you all for understanding my obsession with my MINI. It has provided tremendous therapy to me..especially in the weekly details/monthly waxing, etc. This fills a necessary void for me. Thank Jesus I don't like Ford Pinto's.

And I see many photographs of 1st generation MINI's on this forum that look cleaner than mine. Insecurity...probably. Next?

I would bet that in the long run..dealer service and a local independent repair facility would be about the same. Plus you still get a loaner car an a free meal (very good food...but a base MINI). And you get free wiper blades every time. Jesus Christ...drinks anyone?

That's all for now,

Best,

Mark

Old 04-05-2018 | 01:27 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Oh, the spouse drives a 2015 BMW 740i, reasonably loaded. Leased. Graphite/2 tone charcoal skins. Just like the last few. And we have an old benz in the barn. Nothing special.
Also I have a John Deere riding lawn mower. Smell me.

Best,

Mark

Last edited by Monkey Juice; 04-05-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 04-06-2018 | 06:29 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Love the car,
looks great!

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the details too, and your thought process etc
I dig your writing style as well and how you format.
Good stuff!

Your enthusiasm amplifies my enthusiasm and it's a wonderful thing!
I share with you the aspect that all this is a sort of therapy and I'm already reaping positive benefits on my happy index and feel as if my life has been enhanced in a good way.

Keep posting the updates!

Old 04-06-2018 | 04:55 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Why greets, Speedwell!

This may change our chemistry...but I need to come clean. The spouse's 740i is a 2016. I was wrong. One more year on the lease. Then the same replacement car...same color , too.. I guess? Jesus Christ. Comfort zone..or something.

I've driven it 2 or three times. Probably a nice car.

I like my old MINI. It does the same thing...the same way...every time. Very predictable, just like me. And it has 3 pedals on the floor. Yup. 3.

I guess,

Mark

Old 12-28-2018 | 04:16 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Holiday greets from Monkey Juice!

A viisit to Braman MINI was necessary. Hello to all...drinks are on me.

Well, It was all about a spot that appeared on the garage floor....looking like powers steering fluid. Now sweeties, any issues with MonkeyJuice make this old hipster sweat like a piglet in July.

So...I didn't want to **** with a tow truck...as I would not know what to wear..so I had my sweet spouse stop at Braman MINI yesterday...and get me a stupid sized can of steering fluid for 30 bucks....so as to fill the reservoir to the top, before driving the 6 miles to the dealership (probably not necessary...anyone need steering fluid?).

Just picked the beast up.

fixed p/s hoses/clamps/gaskets
oil service (really didn't need...but had a coupon)

passenger side front wheel bearing

2 front floor mats

and the groundwire under the hood..and some hex nuts???

Out the door for $1665.

this included a loaner (2018 MINI Clubman S).

So.....

I plan to keep this little machine for as long as possible, and I am only comfortable using my local dealer for service (they treat me well). I tonight calculated just how much per month Monkey Juice drains from my monthly budget (ten year average..no expense spared..74K miles..just the same as having a warranty, as I always get a loaner car...) .

Last 120 months...spent $18,553 (including tires, oil service, etc).

Not bad. This is my daily driver (50 miles/weekish).

Now, If someone could tell me how to list all of my service papers (and I have a stack) on line...I'd be happy to share.

Best,

Mark

ps I still don't care for our Countryman...and we now have a leased Mercedes 550 sedan. It seems like a nice car.

Last edited by Monkey Juice; 12-28-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2018 | 06:15 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Sweet ride! Discounting your OCD, your service advisor owes you a beer (or 20). Sounds like you put his kids through college!

Old 12-28-2018 | 11:04 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
$1665 seems like a lot for what you got, but such are dealerships. In the long run, if the expense (in dollars, time, and emotions) had been worth the payoff (in transportation, practicality, and emotions), then you’ve done well.

Last edited by mslatter; 12-29-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2018 | 07:48 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Why many thanks!

Yes, I probably could have saved $$$ on many a repair...but I've never bothered to find an independent MINI mechanic. Plus, an independent would not give me a new MINI to use whist mine is in the service bay....nor would I get a delicious lunch or breakfast (haha).

Ok, since my factory warranty cooked in December 2009, as mentioned above I've spent (averaged) about $150. per month to maintain the car to full factory specs...including routine replacement items. Easily affordable, and I can't imagine a sweeter machine to drive for this kind of money. I have no issues valet parking Monkey Juice at the Breakers, or on Worth Ave.. Simply an amazing car for the $$$!

thats all, carry on,

Mark

ps 14 years...and still no door ding!!! (knock on wood).

Old 05-15-2019 | 05:34 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Greetings all!

Just a quick question...??? so that I can relax.

Every week whilst washing my beast, I notice a small amount of coolant residue (2 drips) dried onto the side of my recently replaced plastic coolant overflow tank (OEM). Coolant has been flushed yearly since new. I would have no idea if the motor were overheating, as I have the navigation package...and it didn't include a temp gauge. The longest "sit and idle" time..with the a/c running...is about 20 minutes (waiting for the bridge span to close). And I can't recall how to post a pic...but I'll figure it out. Any kind advice will be so much appreciated.

Sidenote: I have decided no longer use the local MINI dealership for my 2 MINI's..and have found an independent (a referral, actually). My last 2 experiences would probably make you slap me...then slap the service advisor...the slap the mechanic. Very poor workmanship. And very expensive.

Best,

Mark and Monkeyjuice

Old 05-19-2019 | 09:11 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Test.

The aforementioned bridge.

This is the concern.

Old 05-19-2019 | 09:24 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear

I refreshened the faded hood-scoop, and the wheels. And more.

Clay-bar'd...and happy.

Old 05-19-2019 | 09:37 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Now I remember how to post a picture!

Ok....first off ,so many thank-you's to all of you that post here. I lurk this fab site daily, and have learned much! My MINI is still my daily driver (for the last 14 years!!!)..so it must be highly maintained...

I claim bragging rights to the cleanest wheel wells on Palm Beach.

And I am the proud owner of 2 new front turn signal indicator lenses..as 1 was cracked, I had them replace both.

And something else??

Best,

Mark

Old 12-26-2019 | 12:45 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Greetings all.

I wanted to update all on my sweet little machine. 2019 was an expensive year for Monkeyjuice...but I refuse to let it **** on my MINI buzz.

I spare no expense maintaining the little beast, and am proud to say that I finally found an independent MINI repair facility to replace my my dealership service (but I no longer receive a dealer MINI loaner..and a gourmet lunch..).

so in 2019...I spent $4980. And I drove a total of 2,400 miles (I only use it 4 times per week..and a short distance...). So $$ spent per mile is ridicules, but it is what it is.

Mileage is around 76824.

2019 repairs.

~rear brake pads/rotors. I redid all corners 3500 miles ago...the front are perfect, the back were metal to metal. I was not happy with Braman. Strike 1.
~ car was returned just filthy..they detailed no charge. Strike 2.
~ coolant pressure test $120., replaced (again) the plastic overflow..and the cap (extra charge). Coolant flush.
~ broken chrome fuel door, a dealership mystery. Strike 3.
~ Accessory drive belt/tensioner thing...again..
~ Front motor mounts. Dealer will only install OEM. Huge difference in the vibration.
~ Another ground wire.
~ All power steering lines were leaking and replaced. Fresh fluid.
~ Cabin filter.
~ Wheel hub/bearing (rear...I think).
~ New anthracite headliner.
~ Headlamps restored (getting hazy).
~ I had the dealership bodyshop do some little things...
~remove 2 odd dings.
~replace all wheel centers.
~refurbish 2 wheels (sloppy valet curb rash).
~repaint front hood scoop, and front lower bumper.
~replace some exterior trim (next to windows).

Also an oil service.

Now the new repair facility is suggesting that my clutch is nearing its final chapter. Last clutch was replaced under factory warranty around 30,000 miles. I pamper this car, and know how to respect a clutch. I am surprised. But whatever.

But the car remains "as new".

Not a vent, just an update.

Holiday best,

MonkeyJuice

ps. I wish that there was a fix for the sticky black trim located under the steering column. Mine smudges my right pant leg near the knee..not good (I like pants). I just carefully avoid touching this surface when entering/exiting my chariot.

Old 12-26-2019 | 01:58 PM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
Oh...

And I must add that I read this forum daily. You MINIiac's are quite devoted to this fine piece of automotive history...and I appreciate being able to absorb your vast knowledge by my lurking routine. I need to sniff out one of the fellow participants on this forum who deals in better than OEM parts (clutch....better metal coolant tank, etc.). I am no longer married to Braman MINI, so I can indulge in after market improvements. for the record... I would like a strut brace ( I think thats what they are called) as an improvement, soon. Mostly because i want to keep away the wicked mushrooms..more so,, than for agility., as the car handles quite well as it is.

Ok. Now the vodka talking.

~ I can't imagine a better car for someone like me. We have bonded after 15 years of motoring.
~ I also have a Countryman S that never gets driven. Also a leased big benz. lease is cooked. replacement?? Probably the same.
~ There is a reverse snob appeal to driving a well maintained older MINI on Palm Beach. And perhaps geeky. Yup.
~ Never leak brake fluid onto a friends driveway. Nope.
~ My navigation still works, but oh how I wish that I had ordered the chrono package instead. I do not like the large center speedo. No.
~I dread replacing future repeat front suspension pieces.
~ I fear my BCM. No issues yet...but.
~ Sometimes my seatbelt chime either does not chime in sequence, or not at all.
~ I am amazed at the lack of vibration post new motor mounts. especially when cold.
~ I got brave and opened the sunroof...I fear those brittle plastic parts, but needed to clean/lube. It worked fine.
~ I can't figure out how to properly install my new OEM all weather floor mats...instructions included, but the anchor supports aren't in the same place as the carpeted mats.
~ I once bought an attachment to plug into the back of the radio (USB?). Dumb. I never did it. Should I?
~ I still would have no idea if my sweet car was overheating. I should install a tasteful gauge.
~ I have issues resetting my clock.
~ I only burn 93 octane. Same fuel station. Same day. Same time. Same.
~ Thankfully I am able to drive a car with a normal car key. The push button style is ridicules.
~ Carry on.

Last edited by Monkey Juice; 12-26-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2019 | 04:42 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
You would save a metric ton of cash by working on it yourself.

Old 12-27-2019 | 05:57 AM
Monkey Juice
|
2nd Gear
So true.

But I live in a high-rise...they valet my car into the garage ( I seldom see my 4 garage spaces). And...I peddle antiques on Worth Ave...must have presentable hands/nails. Also...I'm too insecure to tackle a project like brakes (or whatever). I'd be too concerned that I was doing more damage than not. I am quite handy around our homes and our store...but the cars intimidate me. Even an oil change. Yup. I won't do plumbing...nor electrical work, either.

And I don't do housework.

Best,

Mark

ps I can mix a bad martini, roll a joint left handed, bake any cake to perfection...and sell you a treasure from my store.