R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Seat coverings: need to make a decision quick

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 01:56 PM
ski
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat coverings: need to make a decision quick

This is likely my last post before I order my mini cooper S. I finally saw all three possibilities for seat covers on a lot today. I eliminated leather because the color is not significantly different from leatherette. Both look about the same color of grey to me. And I am getting all four packages (the forth one is coming I think) so I have to cut somewhere.

My delimma now is between cloth and leatherette. I like both. I have preferred cloth because it is cooler in the summer (and I live in hot Texas) and not as cold in the winter. But the leatherette looks good too. Does one hold up better than the other? The sun was really bright today so I could not see the colors too well but the cloth grey part looked almost silver. I am getting a silver/black car so this may look good. Does anyone know if it is more silver than grey? Any suggestions would be welcome as I am going to order my car in about two weeks and then have the long wait until March to get it. Also are all steering wheels grey?

Just an observation. I have been looking at minis on lots for about six weeks and most of the cars present are the convertibles. This must be the hot seller. I had a convertible once and hardly ever put the top down as it was too hard to put back up and too hot, and the road noise was not pleasant. The mini convertible are really cute and many must be buying them, but I will get t a hard top (sort of since I will get the sun roof). Thanks, ski

Old 11-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Bikeguy57
2nd Gear
I'm in South Florida and had no problems with the leatherette this summer. I didn't like the look of the two-tone cloth, but had the same concern as you about the vinyl. The stuff is really nice and durable and most people who get in my car think it's leather !!! And it's free

Old 11-07-2004, 03:56 PM
miniquick
1st Gear
no problems with the leatherette this summer
Exactly for a hard top FL was perfect. woudn't wish it with a Cabrio..
Buy a Cabrio then your mind will be made up as to what material:smile: Cloth!

Old 11-07-2004, 06:07 PM
JoeDentist
4th Gear
If the convertible was the hot seller, you would NOT see any there. I've heard that the dealers ordered a lot of convertibles, expecting them to sell the best, but have been dissappointed. I bought the cloth/leather combo and am quite pleased with it.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
I have the black leatherette. It looks like leather, but is sticky. If I had to order again, it would be the cloth...

Old 11-07-2004, 08:11 PM
yasodic
3rd Gear
I have the black leatherette, and my only complaint is that it is super cold when you get in and the back of your shirt rides up a bit, woooooOOOO watch out. But I am in Northern California and its been cold this week. Other wise I love the look and feel of it texture wise, I would do the same if given the choice again.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
We have a cooper with cloth and its very durable and comfortable. I am not a big fan of the leatherette, hot in summer and cold in winter. Leather is great but I prefer cloth on a daily drider type car. In my MCS I am waiting on I ordered the half cloth half leather, best of both worlds. The center is cloth so th ehot cold part is eliminated and you still get some of the look and feel of the real leather. The cost is $85 I think which is also much cheaper than the full leather.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:18 AM
bodinski
5th Gear
I've had space cloth for nearly 2 years & I like it. It's comfy in both extreme heat and cold, stain resistant, and durable. I wasn't crazy about the colour based on the pictures I'd seen, but I orderd it anyway. Glad I did. It's much nicer than the pics would indicate. I got it with silver interior trim & it looks great!
Best - Bodinski.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:39 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I also live in Sunny S. Florida and got black letherette. In the almost 3+ months that I have had my MCS I have never regretted it. I am a big hot and sweaty guy who would never buy cloth as it gets too dirty looking and does not wear as well as leather. I wanted leather in my mini but I do not think much of BMW leather. It does not wear well.

In the 3 months of owning my mini I have never been hot on the seats. Pls note that I was shure that I would be too hot. In fact my wife and I discussed getting custom leather after a year of owning. Sooner if the seats were too hot.

Well the black letherette is great and I would recomend them to anyone. If I dont find them hot I dought you will.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 AM
ski
2nd Gear
seat coverings

Thanks for all the replys to my question about seat coverings. I did not know you could get a combination of leather and cloth as I have not seen it nor does it show up as an option on Mini.USA for the cooper S. Ski

Old 11-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
You won't slide around as much with the cloth in spirited driving.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
Cloth all the way! Its not trying to be something that its not and I think it just looks better. I have the grey/black space cloth.