R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 MINI Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:14 PM
kensmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About a month ago, I was phoned by a market research company who had my name and phone from MINI USA. I was asked if I wanted to participate in a focus group of MINI owners. It was scheduled for three hours on a Sunday afternoon and I'd be paid an "honorarium" for my trouble. I agreed.

Twice after that I was interviewed to qualify me for the group. Mostly demographic questions and some about my MINI Cooper purchase. I was in.

The group met this last Sunday. There were nine of us (4 women, 5 men) in a special bugged and mirrored focus group room at a San Francisco office. We were given snacks, made comfortable and put through a series of questions, we viewed slides and our reactions were recorded, etc. We were told that we were the last of 12 focus groups assembled in New York, LA and SF. Ours was for Cooper owners only -- the Cooper S group in SF had met in the morning.

All nine of us were huge MINI fans, almost all very, very happy with our MINI experience. We were told that BMW is already considering major changes to the car and brand and that they want owner input. Most everything we did centered on our ideas about the physical look of the car, the interior features, who we think it appeals to, etc. One gimmick used was to ask us what kind of party the Cooper would throw if it were a person, what drinks would be served, what music would be played, what people had to be invited and what people had to be excluded. Sorta fun.

Last, we were shown lots of pictures of parts of the Cooper and three other cars: Toyota Matrix, VW New Beetle and the Honda Civic SI. Everybody always raved about the Cooper photos, had some nice things to say about some of those of the Beetle and Civic and almost universally negative things to say about the Matrix.

Ideas we passed on for things that must not change as the MINI evolves: Basic shape, low "bulldog" stance, drive feel, price point, ability to personalize, center speedo. Some of the things we'd like to see changed: More power, improved back seat entry process, flat floor when rear seats lowered, useful cup holders, better roof rack that doesn't require piercing the sheet metal, passenger grab handle.

We were also asked about MINI variants that we'd like to see. We were told that we didn't need to suggest a convertible as that's already being readied for later 2003. We suggested a truck, a 2+2 and a Hybrid engine option.

All and all, not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon: Nine Cooper owners locked in a room just gushing about their cars, reinforcing our decision and getting paid for it.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that sounded really cool! How is it that I never seem to get to do neat things like that?

I'm sure most everyone here thanks the group for asking for more HP. Even though we know it is not the be-all, end-all of automotive prowess.... it would still be nice!

I personally have to thank you (or whoever of that group is responsible) for mentioning the pickup variant. I would be really interested in one - especially if they develop and AWD package.

I have seen the pickup topic mentioned in a few places and have noted that it never seemed to generate a huge response, so I was starting to wonder if I was among a very small group who would be interested in this variant. (maybe this question should be a separate thread?)

It's too bad that they have to resort to "focus groups" though. Get the damn Owner's Lounge fully functional and they could get all the feedback they ever wanted and then some!!!!

Old 11-26-2002, 01:58 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
All and all, not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon: Nine Cooper owners locked in a room just gushing about their cars, reinforcing our decision and getting paid for it.
Sounds like you had a good time!

center speedo
Sorry, have to disagree with you there. I'm getting the Nav system just so the speedo is moved to a more natural position. I really like the toggle switches.

More power,
Yes, more low RPM grunt would be quite nice...

passenger grab handle.
Ahhh, yes the "Oh *****" handle. I didn't notice that one was missing from the car until my test drive...That would be a nice addition.

We suggested a truck, a 2+2 and a Hybrid engine option.
I'd be nice to have an Electric version!

Old 11-26-2002, 02:09 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>
>>
center speedo
>>Sorry, have to disagree with you there. I'm getting the Nav system just so the speedo is moved to a more natural position. >>>>>

Too bad! You're really missing out!!!! The center speedo is great and one of the most defining features of the MINI - at least interior-wise! And you get used to it REALLY FAST! It took me about 2 days. And once you get used to the center speedo, you don't even have to turn your head - you just glance with your eyes just as easily as if the speedo was in front of you through the steering wheel. In fact, whenever I drive the wife's HONDA CR-V, I find myself constantly glancing at the center air conditioning vents for the speed and the roofline for the time - that's how used to the MINI I am!

Old 11-26-2002, 03:10 PM
jimmer0
3rd Gear
>>>>
>>>>
center speedo
>>>>Sorry, have to disagree with you there. I'm getting the Nav system just so the speedo is moved to a more natural position. >>>>>
>>

What's a speedometer? They must have left that out on my MCS!

Old 11-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Katiedidmini
4th Gear
You didn't mention the sixth toggle switch issue! That would have been my whole reason for attending such a meeting!!!

Old 11-26-2002, 07:09 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 11-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a part of a similar thing for Land Rover when BMW first bought the company in the mid 80's. I got a chance to see the Freelander concept while it was top-secret. I was not too impressed, as I was their hard-core Defender 90 driving rock-crawler and just did not think that LR needed to make a Subaru Outback.

Guess I was wrong about it's chances of being successful, but maybe some of my input made it a tougher rig??? I at least hope so!

Was a lot of fun and a great way to get $75 for yakking about my interests.

Old 11-26-2002, 08:46 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
Sometimes they listen but do not Hear

Old 11-26-2002, 08:57 PM
emobob
2nd Gear
pickup?! what in the world would you do with a mini pickup hybrid? seriously.

I would say if you want utility get something like a subaru or minivan or ...perhaps even a t r u c k

but don't ruin...and i mean ruin my precious mini.

Old 11-27-2002, 06:34 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
>>pickup?! what in the world would you do with a mini pickup hybrid? seriously.
>>
>>
>>I would say if you want utility get something like a subaru or minivan or ...perhaps even a t r u c k
>>
>>but don't ruin...and i mean ruin my precious mini.

RUIN?!? Even the classic Mini had pickup variants. Have you seen the pickup picture?

(Just had to get that off my chest.) If they ever get the BAJA near the STX concept, then I'll get one. Until then, forget it. Yes, the wagons are GREAT and very utilitarian. I just want something with more character.

MINIVAN!???? Are you nuts? I don't mean to disparage any of you who have the life circumstances that mandate a minivan, but I WILL NOT even consider a beast of a vehicle like that for everyday driving - especially being a DINK.

Now, as for utility....... I admit that utility would be limited. Realistically, the hatch is probably more versatile with the extra passenger capacity and the fully enclosed back for all-weather hauling. That would only be a small part of my reason for wanting one. I think that it boils down to me liking the *idea* of a pickup but not being a redneck and not wanting - or needing - a REAL pickup (or their terrible gas mileage). I would even want a lockable hardtop cover over the bed. One thing that increases the utility though is that you can put DIRTY things in the bed with little concern.

If Subaru ever advances the BAJA and puts in the H6, changes the profile to the more truck-like STX, gives it the dual-range tranny for true 4WD ability in an AWD package, fixes the terrible switchback to the much better original design, changes the bed size back to the STX dimensions which fit a sheet of plywood, designs a lockable hardtop (goodbye rear 'rollbars'?), removes the plastic cladding, turns many of the Standard Features into Optional Equipment, increases the warranty, should I go on? (Yes, BTW, I have told SUBARU this.) .....Then I would get it - and it would be practical.

Quite frankly, as for the MINI pickup, I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly WHY I want one, but I realy like the idea of having one.