R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 To sunroof or Not To sunroof...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had a car before with a sun-roof, nor have I owned a convertable. With the premium package (1,250 USD) you get four things....sunroof, computer, Automatic AC and leather wheel with cruise buttons. For 850 USD, I can get everything in package 1 except the sunroof. Since I've never driven a car with one, will I enjoy the sunroof?

Old 11-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I opted for the sunroof, as it is a particulary unique one.

However, there are some that consider it ridiculous to put a hole in a perfectly good roof.

Also, most racers would argue that a sunroof adds a lot of weight up top as well as decreases the vehicle's overall rigidity.

BMW has designed the sunroof to fit into a re-inforced steel frame to eliminate some of the rigidity issues, but the weight and the big hole in the roof is still an issue.

$400 can go a long way towards something you might like better too!

2003 MCS, BRG/W on the truck to my dealer!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 11-26-2002, 01:42 PM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my sunroof. It makes the MINI seem so much more open. During the summer it was fantastic motoring around with the top open! I had never owned a car with a sunroof either.....it all depends on you though. :smile:

Old 11-26-2002, 01:43 PM
MG_Rocket
2nd Gear
I took the money I would have spent on the sunroof and put it towards the leather seat option. I thought the black interior of the MCS was too hot on a sunny day so I went with the lapis blue. It should be sweeeeeet !

Old 11-26-2002, 01:48 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
>>I love my sunroof. It makes the MINI seem so much more open. During the summer it was fantastic motoring around with the top open! I had never owned a car with a sunroof either.....it all depends on you though. :smile:

I really am still undecided. However the hot sun here in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, AZ) is what has me the most concerned.

As a secondarty Q, Has anyone any experience with the sun roof in 110+ deg. F weather?

Old 11-26-2002, 01:49 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
The MINI sunroof is absolutely fantastic! I never had a sunroof before but I have had a convertible and love convertibles. Well the MINI sunroof is better than a convertible! It gives you great views and lights up the interior yet unlike a convertible, you can get good use out of it all year round! I have my sunroof open ALMOST all of the time. As long as it is not raining hard or below about 38 degrees. Anything else - even light rain or 40 degree weather I'll have it wide open. Fresh air, a super "motorin'" feeling and great views. The sunroff gets loads of attention from everyone! And even with it closed, the interior is brighter and more cozy and it just looks great from the inside - seeing most of the ceiling is glass. It really adds to the uniqueness of the car. Oh yeah - mine doesn't rattle either. If you already like everything else in the package, get it! I would have paid $2000 for the sunroof alone!

Old 11-26-2002, 01:52 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>I took the money I would have spent on the sunroof and put it towards the leather seat option. I thought the black interior of the MCS was too hot on a sunny day so I went with the lapis blue. It should be sweeeeeet !>>>>>>>

You'll love the lapis blue! I still sit in my car at some point everyday and admire the beautiful leather seats!

3800+ miles and I still love this car as much as the day I got him!

Old 11-26-2002, 01:54 PM
MINI_S_ALL_BLACK
1st Gear
I agree, the sunroof is a absolute must. There is a good pic in the gallery, I think its page 96 or somewhere in that vacinity.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:59 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I was going to get the sunroof but the monkey
didn't like it.....said it 'mussed' his hair. But seriously,
I like the 'hardtop.' it doesn't rattle.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:00 PM
orbhot
6th Gear
I opted not to get the sunroof, I also opted for a white roof. I live in sunny Florida and didn't want the sun shining in on me all the time or a black roof to heat the car up. If they made a sliding cover instead of just a screen it might have affected my choice, but I doubt it considering how loud the sunroof is when open and at highway speed.
Side thought: I wonder how the sunroof affects handling since it probably adds 30lbs to the roof. I wonder if it causes the car roll noticebly more? I've never seen a race car with a sun roof.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I had a few other cars with sunroofs. I got hooked. I hate not having a sunroof now! I love the extra light - especially with the MINI panoramic roof. I love tilting the roof up for fresh air - even in the dead of winter (maybe not an issue for the lower states).

I love the open air feeling you get with it. Between that and the handling, I think it's the next best thing to being on a motorcycle!

As for the weight/rigidity concerns.... Well, it's a FUN car, right? A sunroof is a FUN thing!

Old 11-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Haz
2nd Gear
I can only second what has already been said. There was never any question we would get the sunroof. The extra light in a car this small seems like...a requirement! I imagine one of the kids in the backseat being grateful being able to see the world above. My middle name isn't unser or andretti and I'm not likely to notice the extra weight during my day to day driving.

Waiting. Nothing left but the waiting....

Old 11-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Lobo
2nd Gear
Since I spent most of my years on motorcycles, I opted for the sunroof.
Rarely pull the sunscreen because I like the extra light coming in.
Hell, it's freezing here in Michigan now and I still crack it open from time to time.
Just put on the seat warmer, crank the heat and go.

FWIW, the sunscreen actually does a pretty decent job of cutting down the sun.

Gotta love it.

Lobo

Old 11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
jbs111
4th Gear
Hello
We bought a toyota many years ago with a sunroof. From that point forward, we have not purchased a car without a sunroof. Our mini that went into production this week has a sunroof.

I would highly recommend the sunroof. I think you will find it quite nice, especially in the evenings after a hot day.

JB

Old 11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
jbs111
4th Gear
Hello
We bought a toyota many years ago with a sunroof. From that point forward, we have not purchased a car without a sunroof. Our mini that went into production this week has a sunroof.

I would highly recommend the sunroof. I think you will find it quite nice, especially in the evenings after a hot day.

JB

Old 11-26-2002, 05:01 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Wow, that was tooo easy.

Consensus says SUNROOF!

Thanks for all the replies and helping me decide.

Old 11-26-2002, 05:51 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
Just my $.02. If you want to race-no sunfoof. If you want resale value-sunroof!

Old 11-26-2002, 07:38 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
If you want resale value-sunroof!
Shudder the thought I'd ever sell my first MINI

Old 11-26-2002, 08:18 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Here's my 2 cents worth of advise ........ If you are getting a Mini because it is a fun car then the sunroof is the way to go. The roof is so large it feels like a convert without the hassles. The car does not feel top heavy and to me it feels like the demo I drove without the sunroof. If I were you I would make sure you parked your Mini out of the direct sunlight. The sun shade while cool and all is not effective in eliminating sun from interior. If I remember the Arizona sun climate correctly, Your a$$ could be in for a rude awaking on a hot summer day. I usually folded the seat down to provide additional shade for the interior.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2002, 09:03 AM
OttoPequeno
3rd Gear
I drove two Minis when I did my test drive last summer. I thought the non-sunroof Mini was significantly darker inside than the Mini with the sunroof. I know it seems obvious (Der!), but the differnce was striking in my opinion.

There is something more purist about the non-sunroof Mini from a visual standpoint. Weird thing to say about a car that has a history of being customized.

There you go. One point for and one point against the sunroof.

Me? I opted for the sunroof.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:19 AM
ochichernie
1st Gear
Having never had a sunroof before, I ordered my MINI without one. While I was waiting for this MINI to be built, my old car died and I was able to buy an "emergency" MINI--with a sunroof. My original order came in (sans sunroof) and now I miss the sunroof -- it let in so much light! After having a sunroof, a model without one seems claustrophobic and dark.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:34 AM
SCoopFL
2nd Gear
After my first sunroof, all my cars have had either a sunroof or been a convertible. I live in Florida and the MINI sunroof works great for me.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:36 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
>>My original order came in (sans sunroof) and now I miss the sunroof -- it let in so much light! After having a sunroof, a model without one seems claustrophobic and dark.

I have heard this exact same thing from someone else before. :smile:

Old 12-03-2002, 07:42 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
I didn't want to part with the money for a sunroof but our test-drive was in an MCS with a sunroof and it gave you a more motorin' feelin. Larger drivers (I'm 6'1, 215) will like the illusion of a larger space as well.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:35 AM
C4
Banned
No sunroof here and no regrets about it either. Very nice and innovative dual pane design but like another fellow Floridian said a few posts ago, the lack of a true solid sunshade was the stick that broke the camel's back.

Complaints about sunroof rattles and noises were another deterrent for the extra $800 sunroof option.

Let's face it, here in Florida you get to use the sunroof only at night or during the "colder" months of the year. It is so damn hot and humid here 90% of the time that the appeal of driving with the sunroof in 90F+ degree weather quickly wears down and fast. You need to run the A/C all the time.

I have had 2 previous cars with Sunroofs before so I was hooked there for a while.

I also have a solid black roof and zero problems. Like the cleaner look of the solid roof as well. I haven't had any interior temperature related problems because of having a solid black roof. Perhaps since the car is Pepper White, that somehow helps defelct some of the light and heat when the car is parked.

When MINI begins to offer a solid sun shade and improves the quality of the sunroof I might revisit it when we decide to get a second MINI (Hopefully a MINI wagon or a MINI 5 door hatchback).

Quick Reply: R50/53 To sunroof or Not To sunroof...